Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

All-City Zig Zag Sizing Help

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.
View Poll Results: Which size do you think is best?
52 cm
100.00%
55 cm
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-20, 01:43 PM
PurpleBikeDude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm getting bogged down with choices. I am about to take the plunge on an all-new, All-City, Zig-Zag and am struggling with 52 vs 55 sizing. Here's my current measurements and bikes that seem to work:

5'10" 31-32 inseam 35 years old

2015 Nature Boy 52 (with Thomson Setback)
2015 Spot Rallye 54 (with Thomson Setback) set up with slicks as my "road bike" done centuries and doubles on this with no real complaints.
2011ish Co-Motion Americano 56cm

Thank in advance for an information that helps me make a decision. I've been checking out geometry geeks and comparing as best I can. I am leaning toward the 55 unless I get a chance to try them somewhere before I buy.
Old 03-14-20, 09:33 AM
PurpleBikeDude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Zig Zag 105 Sizing Help

Forgive my noob-ish ignorance, but I'm getting bogged down with choices. I am about to take the plunge on an all-new, All-City, Zig-Zag and am struggling with 52 vs 55 sizing. Here's my current measurements and bikes that seem to work:

5'10" 31-32 inseam 35 years old

2015 Nature Boy 52 (with Thomson Setback)
2015 Spot Rallye 54 (with Thomson Setback) set up with slicks as my "road bike" done centuries and doubles on this with no real complaints.
2011ish Co-Motion Americano 56cm

Thanks in advance for an information that helps me make a decision. I've been checking out geometry geeks and comparing as best I can. I am leaning toward the 55 unless I get a chance to try them somewhere before I buy.
Old 03-14-20, 09:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Buy the one you are the most comfortable on. You may not be able to test ride it for what will be your usual length of rides. So consider if there is a lot of weight or not on your wrists and shoulders. Also, do they have the gearing that you need for the riding conditions you will be doing? Not everyone can climb a 10% grade with 34F/28R combo or whatever the low combo is on that bike. How steep of hills will you be riding?

A bike will work for most people if it's a size too big or small. For some they can ride bikes 2 sizes big or small.
Old 03-14-20, 10:57 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The minimum info that you should post is your actual saddle height, measured from the center of the BB to the top of the saddle, parallel to the seat tube. Saddle to bar height difference is also important.

If you have a bike with a known reach and stack, that makes finding a new frame a lot easier. If the bikes you have need lots of spacer or a flipped up stem, they are most likely too small.

I would never buy a bike that was too large or too small.

Having said all that, I looked up the geometry on this bike and can say that the 55 is definitely too big. https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/zig_zag_105

This bike has a tall stack intended to produce an upright position on the bike. I've got an inseam that's similar to yours, with a saddle height of 73cm, that may be taller than you have, but I'm 4 inches shorter. I ride a racing bike with a stack height that's only a bit taller than the 46cm size. If I wanted to reduce my saddle to bar drop by 4cm, I'd buy a 49cm with a -6 stem and no spacers.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 03-14-20 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-14-20, 12:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Being that you have an All City already I would probably stick to that sizing unless it is way off. Having ridden a 52 All City Macho Man and can say it fit me who is potentially similar measurements and also has a Co-Motion in 56 (Cascadia). I am considering getting a Super Professional at some point possible and I think 52 is the size for me on that one as well.

If you get a chance to try one that would be the jam. If our QBP rep comes along again and brings his I might take it on a longer ride. I cannot remember what size his is though.
Old 03-14-20, 01:16 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Duplicate threads merged. Please do not crosspost.
Old 03-15-20, 01:47 PM
dougan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 5'8" with a 31" inseam. I have a 54" surly cross check which seems appropriately sized for me. I tried out the 52" zig zag a few months ago and it feels to be about the same size. The top tube on the 52 zig zag even states that it's really a 54" top tube. I don't know why they sell it as a size 52 and not 54, because it feels big for a 52. Maybe it's the geometry of the bike though.

If you are struggling to find a bike to sit on and try yourself, it seems like the Mr Pink has almost the same frame dimensions, and the 52 mr pink is known to fit like a 54 as well. So if you happen to find a mr pink to sit on, I'd guess the sizing would match. Maybe all allcity bikes, idk.

Not directly answering your question but maybe that data helps.