Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Outdoor Bike Storage?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Outdoor Bike Storage?

Old 06-06-09, 05:13 PM
snaithbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Outdoor Bike Storage?

Well I just came back from measuring my new apartment and it's official- my bike isn't going to fit inside. Even if I hang it from the wall (which my new landlord pretty much said is forbidden) it would still be a truly tight fit. Now my only option may be to store it outside. I have a space behind my apartment where the bike would fit quite well and it would be secure, since I'm the only one who has access to that space. But- it would be outside and I know that storing a bike outdoors isn't exactly a great idea.

Can anyone suggest any methods of outside bike storage that will maybe help keep my bike from turning into a huge rusted metal paperweight? Or keep bugs out, or lord knows what other dangers that are lying in wait for my bike in the great outdoors? I'm ready to do just about anything to ensure my bike's survival in the wild, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd really really appreciate it if you'd send them my way. I'm still hoping that by some miracle, once all my stuff is moved into my new place, that I can somehow find a spot for the bike inside. But honestly I just can't see how I can do it unless I can hang it and my landlord was quite specific about that not being allowed. And even if I could hang it, it still wouldn't be too good because the place is so small. It's great for one guy but for a guy and his bike- it's rough.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any input anyone has.

Last edited by snaithbert; 06-06-09 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-06-09, 05:25 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Have you considered storing your bike in the bath tub? That's space that's wasted 99% of the time and it's not too big of a deal to move the bike temporarily when you need the bath tub.
Old 06-06-09, 05:33 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Would a freestanding rack like the following work?

https://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp...at=53&brand=54

You could hang the rack from the top hooks without having to put holes in your wall. That might keep your landlord happy.
Old 06-06-09, 05:52 PM
snaithbert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, I hadn't considered the bathtub frankly. But I don't think that would work because my tub is also my shower and I use that pretty frequently. Interesting idea though- if I ever live in a place where my tub and my shower are separate I will absolutely consider that.

The hanging rack might work better though honestly even if the bike is off the ground, it's still going to really be in the way. I just don't seem to have enough wall space for it and so it would have to semi block a doorway, which doesn't really work so well.

What sucks about this situation is that I'm really happy with the place other than my little bike problem. If I could just figure out how to store the thing indoors (and still be able to actually get around in my apartment) everything would be perfect.

In any case thanks for the input so far, I really appreciate it!
Old 06-06-09, 06:48 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
I would not store it outside, unless you get a locking shed.

Wow I though I had it bad. I do not have a basement but no garage. I store both bikes in the living room because it is a pain to carry the bikes up and down the stairs and a pain to get it around the bend to and from the basement stairs.

I won't complain anymore.
Old 06-06-09, 07:04 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can secure the bike so it isn't stolen and cover it to keep off rain, outdoor storage isn't a problem at all. Before we bought our house, I had no choice but to keep ALL the family bikes outside, on a fenced but not roofed patio. They were out there for at least three years, in weather from slightly subzero to 100+ degrees, and three of the six were steel. No troubles, no ill effects. But it IS important, especially with steel, to keep the water off. It will eventually find its way into the frame and pool in places like the bottom bracket shell, where it can cause rust. Something as simple as a cheap blue plastic tarp will do the job, but only if you use it....
Old 06-06-09, 11:41 PM
mikewille
Frame Catastrophizer

Bikes: Surly Instigator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pull the wheels off and stuff em under/behind the couch, hang the frame on the wall somewhere
out of the way with some strategically placed cheapass shelf brackets, call it art.
Old 06-07-09, 12:44 AM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Folding bike?
Old 06-07-09, 03:51 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hang it from the ceiling above your bed or desk.
Just make sure you pull the bike hooks out and quicly spackle over the holes if you know the landlord is planning on visiting.
Old 06-07-09, 05:09 AM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What about something like this:

https://www.taylorsgardenbuildings.co...roductid=16240

or this:
https://www.taylorsgardenbuildings.co...roductid=17106
Old 06-07-09, 05:13 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wordbiker
Folding bike?
+1

Also; under a tarp outide could work if bike is not a real good one.

Do you live far from IKEA? https://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=IVAR I`d buy the tallest 50cm deep (45 or 85 cm wide) IVAR shelf, use one shelf at the bottom and one at the top. Hang the bike from the front wheel from a hook fixed to under the top shelf. That way it can hang without making holes in the wall or roof.

There has been some other IKEA solutions presented in the forums, try a search. One I think was a system ment for wardrobe purposes like STOLMEN https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...bedroom/14320/ ,with hooks and racks, myself I am thinking of using the system for storage in garages and basements https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...storage/10896/

The last two is standing by pushing up into the ceiling and down into the floor.

Again: Buy a folder https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221
Old 06-07-09, 05:36 AM
Esteban32696

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Have you considered storing your bike in the bath tub? That's space that's wasted 99% of the time and it's not too big of a deal to move the bike temporarily when you need the bath tub.
Not a bad idea. Just remove the bike when taking a shower. Put the bike back in when finished ! I could live in a motel room, & could get by like that.
Old 06-07-09, 09:09 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You live in southern CA? Just store in outside. Get a bike cover, it'll be fine.
Old 06-07-09, 04:05 PM
Cygnus67

Bikes: Current Cannondales: 1999 F400, 2007 Road Warrior 800 . Gone, but not forgotten: 1991 SC600, 1992 M700, 1997 R500t.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure why the landlord would care, or even have much say in whether you hang it inside somewhere or not. As long as you are not wrecking the wall with a hook or rack, what difference should it make. Leave the place like you found it is how it should work. What happens in between really shouldn't be their business. But, I digress...

You can argue the point that your bike is lighter than most of the flat screen tvs people are hanging off their walls in every other apartment...
Old 06-07-09, 04:20 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by crackerdog
You live in southern CA? Just store in outside. Get a bike cover, it'll be fine.

I would be FAR more worried about theft.
Old 06-07-09, 04:30 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
This https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Hang-I...ef=pd_sbs_sg_1 plus a bike = art.
Old 06-07-09, 08:09 PM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some friends of mine bought an old plymouth Voyager that needs a transmission and had it towed to their apartment parking lot. They threw out the seats and interior, drilled and put lock points on the floor, and use it as a bike barn. Works great.
Old 06-07-09, 08:23 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by maddyfish
Some friends of mine bought an old plymouth Voyager that needs a transmission and had it towed to their apartment parking lot. They threw out the seats and interior, drilled and put lock points on the floor, and use it as a bike barn. Works great.

This is a horrible idea. Most communities have laws or rules against storing vehicles that are not in running condition, lack a current inspection or lack vehicle registration.
Old 06-07-09, 08:33 PM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
This is a horrible idea. Most communities have laws or rules against storing vehicles that are not in running condition, lack a current inspection or lack vehicle registration.
Maybe so, but they live in Avondale. In Avondale, if you are not selling drugs or women out of your abandoned car, nobody will notice.
Old 06-07-09, 09:50 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Turn the handlebars parallel to the frame (that takes like 10 seconds) and store the bike under the bed.
Old 06-07-09, 09:53 PM
snaithbert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
I would be FAR more worried about theft.
Due to the nature of the spot where I plan to store the bike, I'm not too worried about theft, frankly. I have a little backyard area that's only accessible by me and can't really be viewed by neighbors or passers by due to a high wall on all sides. It's a little hard to explain but I'm less worried about theft than I am about nature's cruelty towards the bike, etc.
Old 06-07-09, 10:03 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
If you own a car . . . pop off the wheels and keep it in the trunk.
Move couch away from wall, put bike behind couch. Or, keep it against a wall in any room and explain it as 'art work.'
Currently in our rental apt. we are keeping our tandem bike in the living room and single bike in the bedroom. Works for us!
Old 06-07-09, 10:17 PM
Juggler2
W A N T E D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first choice would be the tub. Shouldn't be too much bother moving it once a day. If it is...
My second choice would be the best security I could afford, and a tarp.
Old 06-07-09, 11:39 PM
snaithbert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I could put it behind the couch, that's something that hadn't occured to me. Might make my couch about a foot away from the TV (not literally but still, close) but that could be one solution.
Old 06-08-09, 03:56 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by snaithbert
Due to the nature of the spot where I plan to store the bike, I'm not too worried about theft, frankly. I have a little backyard area that's only accessible by me and can't really be viewed by neighbors or passers by due to a high wall on all sides. It's a little hard to explain but I'm less worried about theft than I am about nature's cruelty towards the bike, etc.
If is your area, then why not ask the owner if you could build a little shed? Even something with just a roof would be pretty easy. Or maybe just buy a small garden shed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.