Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need Your Opinion On Which Bike I Should Choose!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 09:33 AM
rodeopunk_je87

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

---

Last edited by rodeopunk_je87; 02-06-11 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-02-10, 06:45 PM
xfimpg

Bikes: RichardZEP

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To place things into perspective, if you look at the pricing range for mtb's, it can go from $300 to $6000 and even higher.
Essentially the bikes you're looking at are in the same price range and pretty much the same setup.
If you really want to be able to ride your bike in whatever, go with a full-suspension bike.

What I found difficult in starting mountain biking 6 years ago, was not knowing what i would really use the bike for.
Would a hardtail suffice? Did I really need dual suspension?
Now I have a Giant Anthem X4 in full suspension and can ride anything short of long drops. With a hardtail, not possible unless maybe I was looking to destroy my back.
Old 08-02-10, 08:13 PM
rodeopunk_je87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xfimpg
To place things into perspective, if you look at the pricing range for mtb's, it can go from $300 to $6000 and even higher.
Essentially the bikes you're looking at are in the same price range and pretty much the same setup.
If you really want to be able to ride your bike in whatever, go with a full-suspension bike.

What I found difficult in starting mountain biking 6 years ago, was not knowing what i would really use the bike for.
Would a hardtail suffice? Did I really need dual suspension?
Now I have a Giant Anthem X4 in full suspension and can ride anything short of long drops. With a hardtail, not possible unless maybe I was looking to destroy my back.
I would buy a full suspension bike but as you can tell, my price range is under $500 and full suspension bikes are in the thousands...
Old 08-02-10, 08:25 PM
xfimpg

Bikes: RichardZEP

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rodeopunk_je87
I would buy a full suspension bike but as you can tell, my price range is under $500 and full suspension bikes are in the thousands...
I definitely understand that.
I'm just mentionning because if you "want to be able to ride my bike in whatever", then you'll be limited to what a hardtail can do for you.
If you can make it up to $750-1000 look for a one year-old used FS, maybe even a new one at that price. Deore is all you need to get you going.
Old 08-02-10, 08:43 PM
Roasted
huffy owns

Bikes: Catrike Expedition, KHS XC 204 mountain bike, Nashbar SS Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People tend to take things in differently. What exactly are you going to be doing? When you say you want to take it ANYWHERE, it's easy for us to assume you're talking about jumping off a house roof with it, at which point a hardtail probably isn't the best idea, despite it fitting nicely into your budget. Are you going to be doing some single track? Some regular stuff like roots, bumps, rockbeds, etc? Or do you plan on jumping off of 6 foot launches to get some serious air?
Old 08-03-10, 09:40 PM
rodeopunk_je87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xfimpg
I definitely understand that.
I'm just mentionning because if you "want to be able to ride my bike in whatever", then you'll be limited to what a hardtail can do for you.
If you can make it up to $750-1000 look for a one year-old used FS, maybe even a new one at that price. Deore is all you need to get you going.
Yeah, you're right...well, I really can't spend more than $500 right now (got a wedding coming) so I ended up going with the 4300 for now...Now, I do have 7 days to take it back for a refund, or 30 days to exchange it so I picked it up because it was the last one they had. The only two downsides to it are

1. I'm 5'6-1/2" with an inseam height of 29-1/2" so I should really be on a 17" frame MAX and the only one they had left was an 18" so I notice when I stand over the top bar, I'm barely tall enough...I heard I should have at least two inches.

2. I don't have disc brakes and I took it on some moderate trails today (roots, rocks, bumps, dips, etc) but there were a lot of puddles and I did notice the reduction in braking power. I also notice that the bike makes a lot of noise when I use the front brake. Is this normal? It's like a loud (but not high pitched) squeaking noise. I noticed it when I bought it and it seems to be getting a little worse.

So my main question....Do I keep this '09 4300 with 100mm travel front suspension and better derailleurs, etc. Or should I just opt for the '11 3700 with DISC brakes, 80mm travel, and one step down in quality of derailleurs, etc. and that fits me better.

I'm not planning to do jumping and I'm going to stick to single track and XC but with some aggressive riding in there (higher speed going over obstacles like dips, roots, etc.)

FYI The 3700 disc will cost me an extra $85.

Originally Posted by Roasted
People tend to take things in differently. What exactly are you going to be doing? When you say you want to take it ANYWHERE, it's easy for us to assume you're talking about jumping off a house roof with it, at which point a hardtail probably isn't the best idea, despite it fitting nicely into your budget. Are you going to be doing some single track? Some regular stuff like roots, bumps, rockbeds, etc? Or do you plan on jumping off of 6 foot launches to get some serious air?
My bad, I should've been more specific....no big jumps, regular stuff like the ones mentioned above. And by "anywhere", I mean I'm the kind of guy who purposely takes the more difficult path just for the challenge and doesn't mind going through puddles despite there being a dry route.

Thanks again for all your help guys.
Old 08-04-10, 06:35 PM
rodeopunk_je87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone else like to weigh in on these very "noob" questions everyone hates to answer?
Old 08-27-12, 02:27 PM
TrebelC

Bikes: Trek 4300 Disk, and a Junkie winter Shwinn for those Minnesota winters.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodeopunk_je87
Anyone else like to weigh in on these very "noob" questions everyone hates to answer?
Haha I understand. I have been riding for about 3 years. Only about 1 seriously. I recently, (about a week ago) bought a trek 4300 DISK and I love it!! I seriously recommend not degrading to a 3700! Maybe save up and install disks on it. Why? Because for a hardtail, the alpha aluminum is awesome. I have already about 174 miles on my bike and all I do is primarily ride rough XC and most commonly singltracks. I have done a lot of stuff that have pushed the limit of the bike, and after carfull inspection, it has pulled through with flying colors. So to be honest, don't degrade. It not worth it. Spend that extra $85+ dollars on some disks and you will never regret it.
All the best,
Cole