Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling too dangerous for those over fifty?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-11, 09:10 PM
rsacilotto

Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts

I guess it's time to hang up the helmet, Mass. General Hospital's chief of craniofacial surgery says it's too risky to ride...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/michae..._b_923387.html
Old 08-16-11, 09:22 PM
bgross

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
"People over 50 have slower reflexes, less strength, less coordination, less aerobic capacity and lower bone density."

Maybe they shouldn't drive cars, either?

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light!" ~ Dylan Thomas
Old 08-16-11, 09:23 PM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
...and in other news, doctors have discovered that people over 50 who breathe may get cancer from air pollution.
Old 08-16-11, 09:25 PM
rsacilotto

Originally Posted by woodway
...and in other news, doctors have discovered that people over 50 who breathe may get cancer from air pollution.
Old 08-16-11, 09:26 PM
rmcleod

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
....and almost every person who dies, dies within a few hours of injesting dihydrogen-oxide, a coincidence??
Old 08-16-11, 09:27 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
https://sweatscience.com/do-the-healt...igh-the-risks/

"For the individuals who shift from car to bicycle, we estimated that beneficial effects of increased physical activity are substantially larger (3 – 14 months gained) than the potential mortality effect of increased inhaled air pollution doses (0.8 – 40 days lost) and the increase in traffic accidents (5 – 9 days lost). Societal benefits are even larger due to a modest reduction in air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions and traffic accidents."
Old 08-16-11, 09:28 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by rsacilotto
I guess it's time to hang up the helmet, Mass. General Hospital's chief of craniofacial surgery says it's too risky to ride...

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/michae..._b_923387.html
Maybe that article is some kind of satire, like Jonathon Swift********************????
Old 08-16-11, 09:36 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Accidents are a possible major problem for cyclists, so he has a point there. The calories burned at 10 MPH in two miles is probably correct. Therefore, I guess the article is correct. What's the problem?
Old 08-16-11, 09:41 PM
Louis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
"Cycling too dangerous for those over fifty?"

...Not cycling is too dangerous for those over fifty.

Last edited by Louis; 08-16-11 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-16-11, 09:46 PM
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Wow, just wow.

I guess I would hope that a Dr. of his stature would understand statistics better.

His facts seem to be these:
1. "Whereas I used to treat older patients with bicycle accident injuries once or twice a year, just last week I evaluated three!"
2. "My daily observation tells me that bicyclists (young and old) while slowing motor vehicle traffic on Commonwealth Avenue rarely stop for red lights or stop signs, frequently ride outside of the bike lane and often ride on the wrong side of the street."
3. "U.S. Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer (born in 1938) suffered a broken collarbone in a bike accident while riding near his home in Cambridge this summer. In 1993, he suffered a punctured lung and broken ribs when he was hit by a car while cycling across Harvard Square."
4. And, walking two miles @ 4 mph burns more calories than cycling the same distance at 10 mph.

From that, he concludes: "If you are over 50, think twice before you get on a bicycle....The benefits just don't outweigh the potential consequences."
Old 08-16-11, 09:53 PM
FanaticMN

Bikes: Trek Allant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is really a link to The Onion, right? Sheesh.
Old 08-16-11, 10:00 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Wow, just wow.

I guess I would hope that a Dr. of his stature would understand statistics better.

His facts seem to be these:
1. "Whereas I used to treat older patients with bicycle accident injuries once or twice a year, just last week I evaluated three!"
2. "My daily observation tells me that bicyclists (young and old) while slowing motor vehicle traffic on Commonwealth Avenue rarely stop for red lights or stop signs, frequently ride outside of the bike lane and often ride on the wrong side of the street."
3. "U.S. Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer (born in 1938) suffered a broken collarbone in a bike accident while riding near his home in Cambridge this summer. In 1993, he suffered a punctured lung and broken ribs when he was hit by a car while cycling across Harvard Square."
4. And, walking two miles @ 4 mph burns more calories than cycling the same distance at 10 mph.

From that, he concludes: "If you are over 50, think twice before you get on a bicycle....The benefits just don't outweigh the potential consequences."
You're overthinking it. It's actually

1) I don't like bicycles because sometimes they get in my way when I'm driving, so

2) Nobody should ride bicycles.
Old 08-16-11, 11:17 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can find Doctors that say drinking coffee is a bad idea, you can find Doctors that say drinking coffee is a good idea. Me, I ride bicycles and am over 50, and will ignore any Doc dissing bicycling.
Old 08-16-11, 11:25 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Michael Yaremchuk, M.D. = quack
Old 08-17-11, 01:13 AM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Take no notice of the doctor. I am over 50 and ride a bicycle and so do several of my friends. Use your brains and ride safely. Stay clear of cars, car-doors, other cyclists and slippery stuff on the road, and don't go fast. More people die in bed than die riding a bicycle.
Old 08-17-11, 01:46 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
If you are over 50, think twice before you read anything by Michael Yaremchuk , especially if you plan on riding a bicycle. The benefits just don't outweigh the potential consequences.
Old 08-17-11, 03:41 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I got news for you all...life is terminal. And if I ever happen to see that so called Doctor....

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-17-11, 03:57 AM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
When I read the article I got the impression they were talking about bicycling in cities. They seemed to be saying that its dangerous and you could get a better health benefit (taking in consideration the dangers of cycling in the city) from walking to your destination.

Maybe I misread it but if thats what they were saying, I have to agree especially since the city they were commenting from is Boston which despite the efforts of the mayor is still dangerous (to ride in) except on Sunday mornings.
Old 08-17-11, 05:44 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
If I took seriously, all the the things that scientist and the medical community have said are dangerous and harmful and could kill you, I should be dead.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-17-11, 05:45 AM
Giacomo 1 

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Maybe you guys don't ride in the cities, but for those of us that do, I'd say the doctor has a point.

The biggest obstacle to me getting back on a bike was getting back out into traffic. What I once took for granted, narrow, pot-holed, busy streets, nearly scared the heck out of me now that I am older. Nearly all of my riding is done within inches of parked cars and moving ones. One bad move by me or a driver can spell disaster. It's taken me months to get comfortable out there again, but I'm still not overly confident and I still have my fears on busy streets. I now look 2 or 3 times at a situation I might have flown through in my younger years. Not to mention there is even more traffic out there now, which makes for less patience from drivers.

I know I am not the bike rider I once was, and due to aging, I'm not likely to ever be that confident or good again. If your skill level makes you as good as you were at twenty, then great, but most peoples skills diminish. This report won't stop me, but this doctor does have a valid point IMHO....
Old 08-17-11, 05:50 AM
UberGeek

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Northwestrider
You can find Doctors that say drinking coffee is a bad idea, you can find Doctors that say drinking coffee is a good idea. Me, I ride bicycles and am over 50, and will ignore any Doc dissing bicycling.

Old 08-17-11, 06:12 AM
Pistard

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah right, the only thing I would agree is the fact that cyclist should follow the same road rules as vehicles. I don't trust cars, specially with the addiction to RX a lot of drivers here have, then there is the under 16 /24 crowd..... multitasking behind the wheel... I'll still be out there though.
Old 08-17-11, 06:21 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
How about an "official" response to the article from the 50+ bicycle forum??
Old 08-17-11, 06:37 AM
rsacilotto

Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
Maybe you guys don't ride in the cities, but for those of us that do, I'd say the doctor has a point.

The biggest obstacle to me getting back on a bike was getting back out into traffic. What I once took for granted, narrow, pot-holed, busy streets, nearly scared the heck out of me now that I am older. Nearly all of my riding is done within inches of parked cars and moving ones. One bad move by me or a driver can spell disaster. It's taken me months to get comfortable out there again, but I'm still not overly confident and I still have my fears on busy streets. I now look 2 or 3 times at a situation I might have flown through in my younger years. Not to mention there is even more traffic out there now, which makes for less patience from drivers.

I know I am not the bike rider I once was, and due to aging, I'm not likely to ever be that confident or good again. If your skill level makes you as good as you were at twenty, then great, but most peoples skills diminish. This report won't stop me, but this doctor does have a valid point IMHO....
My issues are that

a) city driving is relatively dangerous for anyone, I'm 51 and have not noticed the diminished capabilities (except cardio) that the doctor is claiming. I recently avoided a couple of collisions by reacting quickly, I had no sense that I would have done any better when I was 30. Would he prefer that bicyclists avoid the city altogether (see comment above regarding cyclist inconveniencing his driving)?

b) unless the route is completely rural, there's a decent likelihood of encountering "city-like" situations with tight roads, parked cars and aggressive drivers turning unpredictably. Should we avoid those, too?

c) who only rides two miles? I commute 32 miles round trip a couple of times a week, not really a walking option. I notice a huge difference in my physical condition when I'm riding regularly vs. other activities. I can still ride pretty hard for reasonable distances, not as fast as when I was younger, but I can just about keep up with a 20mph pace in a group for an hour, and the main obstacle is weight (230lb), not age. It just seems insulting for a doctor to suggest that once you hit 50, you should suddenly be so concerned about your physical and mental skills falling off a cliff that you should "think twice before getting on a bicycle." Thanks, but no thanks!
Old 08-17-11, 06:39 AM
ScorpioLance

Bikes: TREK Madone 4.7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
How about an "official" response to the article from the 50+ bicycle forum??
OK, how about: "Hey Doc? STFU!!!!" That official enough?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.