Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

RoadID, finally purchased one

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 01:39 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts

Almost all my rides are solo on rural roads out here in the high desert. It seems that at least once on a ride, I thank the good Lord for keeping me safe so far on the ride and ask Him to continue doing so. Today, just in case I'm on a ride and He's busy with more important stuff, I ordered a RoadID ankle bracelet. I went with an ankle bracelet because when it warms up, I'll sweat more on my arms than on my ankle. Besides, I hate wearing a watch, so I doubt I'd like a bracelet.

Pretty good bargain at twenty bucks, plus shipping. They even donate a portion of the proceeds to one of ten charities. I selected the Wounded Warriors, a most worthy cause for those who sacrificed so much for those of us here at home.

You are allowed six lines. I went with (1) name and birth year; (2) city, state, country; (3) SO's phone number; (4) brother's phone number; (5) medical provider and number; and (6) medical info, (i.e., diabetic t2-O pos blood). Now, I'll no longer need to carry my driver's license/medical card/slip of paper with contact info. (The helpful hints on the RoadID web site says that driver's license numbers are pretty worthless and don't really add any useful information in emergency situations. If the DMV is closed, then there is nothing a EMT can do with the info on the face of a driver's license.)

For those of you who frequently solo, probably worth the minimal expense.

Last edited by volosong; 03-05-12 at 03:34 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-05-12, 01:48 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always carried an old, expired driver's license with me, figuring the authorities could figure it out from there. You've convinced me that is a poor idea. I like the RoadID concept; I'll have to order one. I, too, ride mostly alone, since I'm way too fast for other riders (yeah, right.)

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-05-12, 01:56 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My brother got me one for my birthday last year. I opted for the wristband. Great little thing, IMO. The only downside to it for me is that since I no longer carry my drivers license with me I tend to forget to grab some cash and/or a credit card when I head out the door.
Old 03-05-12, 02:18 PM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My RoadID replaced my MedicAlert braclet several years ago because of the 24/7 Interactive service that can inform EMTs of more critical and detailed info than just what is printed on the bracelet, and at 55 yrs old with a history of multiple head injuries and 20 years of taking Coumadin, I wear mine everywhere. If ever there was a cycling product that should be embraced by the entire mainstream public, this is it.
Old 03-05-12, 02:50 PM
ping jockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride solo a lot so I've had a Road ID wrist model for about a year now.

I fasten it to one of the helmet straps when I not riding so I don't forget it.
Old 03-05-12, 02:56 PM
Tractortom
recumbent bike advocate

Bikes: Bacchetta Belladare, long wheelbase

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another thing that has been on my list for far too long. I always pack a wallet in the brain box behind my seatback (recumbent bike) and carry a phone, but if something should happen, I should have the Road ID on my darn wrist. I guess I had better get one soon....

Tractor Tom in Okeechobee, FL
Old 03-05-12, 03:02 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Unless I'm doing a neighborhood ride with my wife, I never ride anywhere without it. It's an excellent investment. I got my wife one as a Christmas stocking stuffer.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-05-12, 05:27 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wrote my name, address, phone, and in case of emergency numbers on a small piece of paper, and keep it in a clear coin purse like this:

It is always in my jersey pocket. I also have cash in there. I guess someone might miss it, but it's unlikely.

I also have a similar sheet in my seat bag.

in my jersey pocket
Old 03-05-12, 05:44 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
My wife is a trauma nurse and I'm a FF/EMT. They brought a guy in to her emergency department early one morning with major head and extremity trauma. The guy was able to speak and answer questions but not completely coherently. When they asked him about any meds or allergies he said "none". When they called the RoadID folks it turns out the guy was taking some serious heart meds and significant allergies (morphine, penn). She bought me one that week and I'm very impressed with it so far. When I take it off I strap it around one of my helmet straps so I won't forget it.

In the field we'll do a brief search for medical bracelets/necklaces, and us/the cops will check for ID but very often there are pieces and parts of wallet, bike, pocket contents etc all over the place and we won't take much time searching when the patient is critical.

BTW the same goes for your car, also. I work hundreds of car accidents annually and we pretty much never look for cell phones because they get lost in all the other garbage that's tossed around the inside and outside of the cars. When we do find them there's no certainty which phone belongs to which person. The only person I've ever heard of using ICE was the coroner if they couldn't find any other ID..nobody else around here bothers with ICE in someone's phone because the info may/may not be accurate, current or correct. Just my two cents...
Old 03-05-12, 06:06 PM
miss kenton

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
I have one because I usually ride solo, too. When I take it off, I put it on my handlebars so I can't forget it next time I ride. I have the wrist version and though I don't especially care for wearing a wristwatch, I find the Road ID surprisingly comfortable. So comfortable, that sometimes I don't realize I haven't taken it off until I am about to step into the shower!
Old 03-05-12, 06:17 PM
Hillbasher
A Mountaineering thing

Bikes: 4 Road 2 Mtn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take mine every where, including
Here (Mt. Whitney )

Here (Mt. Tyndall)

Here (Hotlum-Wintun route. Mt. Shasta)

Here (Glendora Ridge Road)

And it is going here in June (Mt. Rainier)

Don't leave home without it.

Last edited by Hillbasher; 03-05-12 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-05-12, 06:37 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Which model did you guys get? The expensive one with the buckle, the cheaper one with the velcro or the one that is narrower and looks like the Lance bracelet?
Old 03-05-12, 06:45 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The velcro ankle one seems just fine. If I had a medical condition that warranted me wearing something 24/7 I might opt for one of the fancier, slim ones.
Old 03-05-12, 06:46 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
For those of us who are lucky enough to have no significant medical issues, a cheap dog tag does the job. I wear one from Dog Tag City (less than $10) on a chain around my neck 24/7. Name, address, home phone, ICE phone.
I almost always carry my wallet, too, but it's seldom on my person when I ride.
Old 03-05-12, 07:42 PM
Pluto

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Synapse 5 Jamis Durango 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got two of the velcro IDs - one for my road bike and one for the MTB. When not being worn, they are strapped around the top tube. That way, if I forget to put one on, it is with me anyway. I'm on heart meds, so this is important to me.
Old 03-05-12, 07:47 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
+7 or 8
My wife and I have used them for several years. Besides the bike, I wear mine to the gym rather than packing my wallet. However, I try to mostly ride to the gym so I have it on anyway. I was an EMT on an ambulance crew, and am a firm believer about the benefit of medi-alert tags. Someone in Nebraska should have found my wife's first one that she lost 5 years ago. They are cheap insurance.
Old 03-05-12, 08:42 PM
RobertL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by volosong
I often ride alone as well and I've been meaning to get one for a good while. Your post prompted me to get mine ordered.
Old 03-05-12, 10:25 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
For those of us who are lucky enough to have no significant medical issues, a cheap dog tag does the job. I wear one from Dog Tag City (less than $10) on a chain around my neck 24/7. Name, address, home phone, ICE phone.
I almost always carry my wallet, too, but it's seldom on my person when I ride.
Yep, you can often get a pair of dog tags at gun shops/etc with multiple chains, for $5.00 or so.

Think of how much cheaper RoadID would be if they didn't spend so much money on marketing. ;-)
Old 03-06-12, 12:09 AM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RobertL
I often ride alone as well and I've been meaning to get one for a good while. Your post prompted me to get mine ordered.
Thanks should go to jmX who posted in the SoCal regional sub-forum a ride report on the Death Valley Spring Double Century held this past weekend. I went to the ride web site to find out more about the ride, and RoadID is a prominent advertiser. Like you, I've been meaning to order one of these for a good long while, and finally decided, "What the hey? What's stopping me from ordering it now."
Old 03-06-12, 04:15 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
(The helpful hints on the RoadID web site says that driver's license numbers are pretty worthless and don't really add any useful information in emergency situations. If the DMV is closed, then there is nothing a EMT can do with the info on the face of a driver's license.)
I am not against the Road ID concept but saying that a driver's license is "pretty worthless" is not accurate. It gives name and address which are helpful. I'm not sure why an EMT would contact the DMV. My best guess is the EMTs will address the issues they encounter not call the DMV. BTW who can ever get through on a DMV line anyway?
Old 03-06-12, 04:30 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by mulveyr
Yep, you can often get a pair of dog tags at gun shops/etc with multiple chains, for $5.00 or so.

Think of how much cheaper RoadID would be if they didn't spend so much money on marketing. ;-)
Since I also have no medical issues worthy of alerting EMTs I just carry my drivers license and cell phone. If I have an accident and end up unconscious or otherwise unable to convey information calling my spouse is not really a priority. By the time they get me to the hospital the police will have been at my house looking for someone or have called someone on my cell phone to ascertain who should be notified. Unless you have relevant medical issues the whole Rode ID thing is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist IMO. For those who do have medical issues it has a benefit.
Old 03-06-12, 08:41 AM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've always wondered how it is that an EMT is supposed to know how to get to an emergency number in all the many different models of cell phones, and how that is made impossible for many of us by the use of passwords (which my employer requires). I, for one, want my wife to know what happened sooner rather than later, especially since she is a medical professional and I trust her decisions. But I'm in that "meaning to order one" category, and will get it done. I appreciate the fact that they sponsor cycling events - that's a good reason to use their product.
Old 03-06-12, 08:52 AM
mikepwagner

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane (BikesDirect) Immortal Force; 2011 (?) Civia Bryant Gates Carbon Belt Drive (upgraded to Alfine 11 and Gates CenterTrack)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The helpful hints on the RoadID web site says that driver's license numbers are pretty worthless and don't really add any useful information in emergency situations. If the DMV is closed, then there is nothing a EMT can do with the info on the face of a driver's license.
The drivers license adds no useful information? Nothing more than name and address, age, etc.

I hadn't thought about the fact that the DMV might be close. The last one out in the evening must shut off the computers as well. I guess that explains why the police can't make traffic stops except on weekdays 8-5.

Come on, people - think when you read marketing twaddle!
Old 03-06-12, 08:57 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
I've always wondered how it is that an EMT is supposed to know how to get to an emergency number in all the many different models of cell phones, and how that is made impossible for many of us by the use of passwords (which my employer requires). I, for one, want my wife to know what happened sooner rather than later, especially since she is a medical professional and I trust her decisions. But I'm in that "meaning to order one" category, and will get it done. I appreciate the fact that they sponsor cycling events - that's a good reason to use their product.
Depends on the phone. There's a sort of "standard" in which, as mentioned above, people use a contact named "ICE" for In Case of Emergency. On some phones, like my Droid, you can bypass the lock screen by selecting "Emergency Call", which allows the user to either call 911, or a selected list of designated contacts.
Old 03-06-12, 09:00 AM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good for you. I've had Road ID for three years and wouldn't ride without it. I like the fact that it's so easy to update your information on the web site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.