Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Huffy mountain bike has uneven cone wear marks.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-24, 12:33 PM
GrapeSap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all, I was trying to fix the issue of my rear wheel wobbling left and right while riding on it and I flipped it upside down to replace the axle, bearings and cones. While it was flipped upside down I spun it by hand and sure enough it was wobbling left and right while spinning. I then noticed the old cones had uneven wear marks on them. Why did this happen. And even now having replacing the whole rear wheel assembly, the wheel still wobbles. What could it be?
Old 04-28-24, 12:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4433 Post(s)
Liked 4,081 Times in 2,720 Posts
Curious what you replaced the rear wheel with? It could be the new wheel is also not true or you replaced some of the worn out parts but there are still worn out parts. The frame could be damaged or something else entirely. A Huffy unfortunately is not worth putting much of anything towards money wise. In the end you can just buy a new one that will eventually have the same issues and likely have some issues from new but at least will be new.

You could also save up and buy a bike that will work for mountain biking or if not mountain biking for whatever riding you are doing. If you go to a bike shop they can help you get a new bike which will work a lot better and have good support behind it. You can also take the current bike to the shop and they can take a look at it and probably suggest buying a new bike a worn out Huffy is not really designed to be fixed and repaired without likely costing more than the bike is worth new.
Old 04-28-24, 01:00 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 273 Posts
We all expect a Huffy wheel to wobble. Operating as designed. Carry on.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 04-28-24, 01:49 PM
GrapeSap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Curious what you replaced the rear wheel with? It could be the new wheel is also not true or you replaced some of the worn out parts but there are still worn out parts. The frame could be damaged or something else entirely. A Huffy unfortunately is not worth putting much of anything towards money wise. In the end you can just buy a new one that will eventually have the same issues and likely have some issues from new but at least will be new.

You could also save up and buy a bike that will work for mountain biking or if not mountain biking for whatever riding you are doing. If you go to a bike shop they can help you get a new bike which will work a lot better and have good support behind it. You can also take the current bike to the shop and they can take a look at it and probably suggest buying a new bike a worn out Huffy is not really designed to be fixed and repaired without likely costing more than the bike is worth new.
So I haven’t replaced the wheel, I disassembled the hub of the wheel that the bike came with and I went in to replace all of those 3 things, hoping that it would solve the wobble issue however it seems like the issue is still showing. I feel like I should look around for another rim that’s similar to the one that my bike has, and if not I’ll save up and put money towards a better bike that hopefully doesn’t show issues just one year into owning it.
Old 04-28-24, 02:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4433 Post(s)
Liked 4,081 Times in 2,720 Posts
Originally Posted by GrapeSap
So I haven’t replaced the wheel, I disassembled the hub of the wheel that the bike came with and I went in to replace all of those 3 things, hoping that it would solve the wobble issue however it seems like the issue is still showing. I feel like I should look around for another rim that’s similar to the one that my bike has, and if not I’ll save up and put money towards a better bike that hopefully doesn’t show issues just one year into owning it.
It sounds like the wheel is shot. the races are probably destroyed from a long time of issues that probably came with the bike.

The rim might be out of true but you probably need an entire wheel. A wheel starts at the hub, then spokes, then nipples then the rim all together for one piece then over that you will typically have a rim strip, tube and tire,

I would honestly save towards a bike from a bike shop, if you do have issues they can help you solve it and at least in all the shops I have worked at and the one I own and will soon open we offer a 1 month tune up and then one at the year mark. Plus you generally will get warranties with the bike from the bike shop so if something happens like this there is a chance it could be covered by the OEM.

If you want to continue using the current bike you will probably be spending around $100 for the new wheel and labor but you could get the new bike at the Wally-Mart for the same price.
Old 04-28-24, 02:29 PM
GrapeSap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes

Old 04-30-24, 09:12 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 634 Posts
It sounds (to me) as though the wheel has a crooked axle. Check that first. If there's a coop in your area, you probably can get a usable wheel for a low price, but check the width of your rear dropouts first; Huffy's can be very creative with some measurements.