Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Contador Quote From Andy Schleck

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Contador Quote From Andy Schleck

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 12:04 PM
Howzit
Big Blade

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
Everyone's point.

But didn't I hear you excuse him for alienating (i.e. attacking) his own team?
Or how about he attacked Cadel Evans, Sastre and Denis Menchov.
Was hoping you knew a little more about cycling than you are demonstrating.
Old 07-14-09, 12:33 PM
Kelrod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Howzit
Or how about he attacked Cadel Evans, Sastre and Denis Menchov.
Was hoping you knew a little more about cycling than you are demonstrating.
Because they were in control and did not need to attack....the others have to make up the time. It's a long race and I think they are fortunate they do not have to defend the yellow jersey right now. Although at times they ride like they they have it.
Old 07-14-09, 12:50 PM
Howzit
Big Blade

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelrod
Because they were in control and did not need to attack....the others have to make up the time. It's a long race and I think they are fortunate they do not have to defend the yellow jersey right now. Although at times they ride like they they have it.
It is your understanding that in a race when you can attack and know you can gain time, you should "stop yourself" because you know you are in control?

It is also your understanding that if you know you can gain time over everyone in the race you should not do it because you are "in control"?

Dont listen to commentary as fact or gospel. They are there to entertain the viewer.

When you know you can gain time, even just a second in a race, you should gain time.

Is the Tour based on how much time you dont need to attack because you are in control these days rather than accumulated time?

Thats a news flash to me.
Old 07-14-09, 02:08 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelrod
The reason Astana didn't want the yellow jersey is not that not having it takes an oneous to control the race off them. They still have the same interest in controlling the race.

It's the fact that having AG2R in Yellow, gives them 9 allies to help control the race.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-14-09, 02:45 PM
julian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Astana is in complete control of this race. They are usually at the front dictating the pace or just off the front, looking to cover evey move. They have the strongest team by far.
Old 07-14-09, 02:53 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by julian
If the others were going full out then yes it would be significant, but I didn't see them going after him hard. Also to extrapolate 20 seconds in 1.2 miles into sheer dominance is a little silly.
Perhaps he will spank everyone in the Alps and on Ventoux, but that is why they race. I am hoping that it is real tight going into Ventoux.
what about that headwind schleck, armstrong and levi talked about? didn't seem to phase contrador. contrador is a marked man. i think schleck and the others would have went if they could. if you're saying they let him go i just don't believe that.

ed rader
Old 07-14-09, 05:04 PM
julian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erader
what about that headwind schleck, armstrong and levi talked about? didn't seem to phase contrador. contrador is a marked man. i think schleck and the others would have went if they could. if you're saying they let him go i just don't believe that.

ed rader
Perhaps they couldn't go with them. I guess the big question is can Armstrong hang with him? I think that one 20 second advantage over 1.2 miles doesn't mean that much in the overall scheme of things. It will shake out in the last week.
Do you really think it would have been wise for Levi and Lance to go with him?
It seems like you guys want to crown AC as the champion because of his first TT and his one breakaway. This is a 3 week tour. I am not saying AC isn't going to win it. He could win it handily, but I am hoping for a very close race going into Ventoux. But I think you Lance haters want to see him buried, humiliated and beaten.
Old 07-14-09, 05:13 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps they couldn't go with them. I guess the big question is can Armstrong hang with him? I think that one 20 second advantage over 1.2 miles doesn't mean that much in the overall scheme of things. It will shake out in the last week.
Do you really think it would have been wise for Levi and Lance to go with him?
It seems like you guys want to crown AC as the champion because of his first TT and his one breakaway. This is a 3 week tour. I am not saying AC isn't going to win it. He could win it handily, but I am hoping for a very close race going into Ventoux. But I think you Lance haters want to see him buried, humiliated and beaten.
i think AC is the team leader. he wears #21. when lance was winning tours he would have also stamped his authority in the mountains.

levi and lance could not go with contador.

i think AC's move was meant to regain time on armstrong who declared "all bets off" on stage three. i was glad to see contador regain the time and on spanish soil.

if contador cracks i hope lance steps up and wins the tour. i will root for him. yes, i'd rather see lance crushed and humiliated than win the tour by intimidation and deception.

ed rader
Old 07-14-09, 05:22 PM
julian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think AC is the team leader. he wears #21. when lance was winning tours he would have also stamped his authority in the mountains.

levi and lance could not go with contador.

i think AC's move was meant to regain time on armstrong who declared "all bets off" on stage three. i was glad to see contador regain the time and on spanish soil.

if contador cracks i hope lance steps up and wins the tour. i will root for him. yes, i'd rather see lance crushed and humiliated than win the tour by intimidation and deception.

ed rader
Well I am glad that you KNOW what Levi and Lance are or are not capable of. You make it sound like AC is the second coming of Jesus on a bike. For pete's sake the chicken was handily beating him before he got booted. There is no way Lance can win by intimidation and deception. If that was the case, anyone with a mean look would be entering the tour. Intimidation is gained by out TTing or out climbing your rivals. If Armstrong doesn't have his legs then he can bluster all he wants and it ain't going to make a hill of beans of difference.
If I had to put money on the tour I would bet on AC, but I have been really shocked at Armstrong's form so far.
Old 07-14-09, 05:28 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I am glad that you KNOW what Levi and Lance are or are not capable of. You make it sound like AC is the second coming of Jesus on a bike. For pete's sake the chicken was handily beating him before he got booted. There is no way Lance can win by intimidation and deception. If that was the case, anyone with a mean look would be entering the tour. Intimidation is gained by out TTing or out climbing your rivals. If Armstrong doesn't have his legs then he can bluster all he wants and it ain't going to make a hill of beans of difference.
If I had to put money on the tour I would bet on AC, but I have been really shocked at Armstrong's form so far.
the chicken is ancient history. AC has won every GT he has contested. any other team with contador as captain would not have even taken lance's call.

so you like lance but would bet on AC? sounds like you win either way !

ed rader
Old 07-14-09, 06:43 PM
40 Cent
fixed for the long haul

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Professional, 1990 Cannondale 3.0 Touring bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AC has won every GT he has contested. any other team with contador as captain would not have even taken lance's call.
I agree. The Bruyneel/Armstrong junta is bs. Imagine in 2001 Bruyneel had invited a former tour hero to the team and outwardly favored him over Armstrong and left it so conveniently vague who was team leader. Meanwhile he was -- and is again -- sitting on a TdF franchise that's the envy of any coach...the veritable Phil Jackson of cycling directors. Why mess that up?
Old 07-14-09, 08:28 PM
grinderbob
coffee bean grinder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well said.

Why did people say he is not a team player? Attacking at that time might cause his teammates time, but they chose not to follow, either they could not, or they believed there were still 2 weeks left. But why would anyone give away 20 sec when you had the chance, especially when you are widely regarded as the leader, and you are gaining 20 sec against other contenders from other teams?

If it were Lance attacking, everyone would just shut up and praise: at the age of 37 and 4 years out of the sport, Lance is showing his colors once again.

Originally Posted by Howzit
It is your understanding that in a race when you can attack and know you can gain time, you should "stop yourself" because you know you are in control?

It is also your understanding that if you know you can gain time over everyone in the race you should not do it because you are "in control"?

Dont listen to commentary as fact or gospel. They are there to entertain the viewer.

When you know you can gain time, even just a second in a race, you should gain time.

Is the Tour based on how much time you dont need to attack because you are in control these days rather than accumulated time?

Thats a news flash to me.
Old 07-14-09, 09:45 PM
daxr

Bikes: 08 Giant Boulder, 08 Scattante XLR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Andy "I couldn't follow Contador on Arcalis because it was windy" Schleck. Just saying...
Old 07-14-09, 09:47 PM
fordmanvt
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Bikes: 2008 Sequoia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ed rader
They could have caught him, but was a tactical choice not to chase given the short distance and having Lance on their wheel. They would put in lots more effort, and with Lance hanging with them, they gain nothing.
Old 07-14-09, 09:51 PM
Mash Master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
man, we need some juiced up riders that go on a scary breakaway :-)
Old 07-14-09, 09:54 PM
Pharmr
Home, home again

Bikes: Scott S10, Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmanvt
They could have caught him, but was a tactical choice not to chase given the short distance and having Lance on their wheel. They would put in lots more effort, and with Lance hanging with them, they gain nothing.

easy to say now.
Old 07-14-09, 10:03 PM
erader

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
!

who'd you get that from, lance?

they were all mumbling something about a headwind and schleck, after giving it a go, was whining like a jilted fraulein because contador caught a draft off the motorbikes.

they could have caught him my eye!

ed rader
Old 07-14-09, 10:05 PM
rmwkokomo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daxr
Andy "I couldn't follow Contador on Arcalis because it was windy" Schleck. Just saying...
You left out the part of the quote where he claimed AC was being sheltered from the wind by the vehicles in front of him - an advantage the chasers were too far away to share.
Old 07-14-09, 10:29 PM
julian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not even a hopped up Porsche could have caught AC that day. Arcalis will go down in the annals of TDF history! 1.2 miles of the most dominating hill climbing display since the beginning of time! A 20 second whipping that will never be forgotten!
Geeeeaz, you guys are too much.
Old 07-14-09, 10:35 PM
daxr

Bikes: 08 Giant Boulder, 08 Scattante XLR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not even a hopped up Porsche could have caught AC that day. Arcalis will go down in the annals of TDF history! 1.2 miles of the most dominating hill climbing display since the beginning of time! A 20 second whipping that will never be forgotten!
Geeeeaz, you guys are too much.
At least someone was delivering a whipping. I don't even care who anymore, the tour needs more of it - its putting me to sleep!
Old 07-14-09, 10:59 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Not a chance. They wouldn't gain anything on Lance but they also wouldn't lose 20 secs to the GC favorite. If they had the legs they would have stayed on AC's wheel.
Old 07-15-09, 12:57 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked 3,143 Times in 1,701 Posts
Well I am glad that you KNOW what Levi and Lance are or are not capable of. You make it sound like AC is the second coming of Jesus on a bike. For pete's sake the chicken was handily beating him (contador) before he got booted. There is no way Lance can win by intimidation and deception. If that was the case, anyone with a mean look would be entering the tour. Intimidation is gained by out TTing or out climbing your rivals. If Armstrong doesn't have his legs then he can bluster all he wants and it ain't going to make a hill of beans of difference.
the chicken was handily beating everyone because the other teams inconceivably let him get 5+ minutes
up the road. remember how angry christophe moreau was that day as he constantly tried to get everyone
to chase? moreau seemed to be the only rider smart enough to consider rasmussen dangerous. that old dog
knew that rasmussen was potentially winning the tour right then and no one would help him minimize the
damage. the other contenders were primarily wheelsucking a majority of the last climb. rasmussen essentially
pulled a 1998 pantani col de galibier move on everyone. the rest of the field finally figured out what moreau
already knew-the tour was over when they saw the chicken putting in a top 15 time trial.

i think contador
would have won the 07 tour anyway if the other teams hadn't wildly overestimated their ability to
control rasmussen downroad (much of the thinking was that he would give away most/all of his mountain gains in the tt's).
surprising that they blew it so badly given the facts that rasmussen was a known quantity and we had
just seen the pereiro (previous top ten) & landis breakaways which defined the 06 race. hindsight is 20/20
but still, you don't give away significant time to anyone, much less someone as accomplished as
rasmussen, pereiro or landis. it's a receipe for game over.

with armstrong back in the peleton, it's less likely for
a similar scenario to unfold. watching the 2006-2008 races, which had some really boneheaded tactical
manuevers/mistakes by most teams, undoubtedly gave lance fuel for the fire. no wonder he thinks he can
win. i don't blame him. if i had his form, experience and team, i'd feel the same way.
Old 07-15-09, 01:03 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1634 Post(s)
Liked 3,143 Times in 1,701 Posts
forgot about that untimely flat tire contador suffered on the last ascent on that pivotal
2007 rasmussen escape stage. think he was primed to have a go much like iban mayo
eventually did. contador set a hellish pace coming back to join the group at the finish
and would likely have used that energy to significantly gap the other contenders had
his luck been better.
Old 07-15-09, 08:01 AM
julian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AC fanboys are too much!
Old 07-15-09, 08:29 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked 1,100 Times in 645 Posts
AC fanboys are too much!
Fanmen to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.