Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Along the Rio Grande bike trails...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 03:37 PM
Rapidrob

Bikes: Schwinn 100 year Anna. Phantom, Lotus road bike, Espresso road bike, Thor mountain bike, Huffy 1955 Crusier,others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The wife and I did a first today. We took our bikes out of the garage for the first time in 20 years and rode the bike trails of the Rio Grande river in Albuqueque,NM.
Were both retired now and after a problem with Elaine's heart we decided to get into a good retinue to keep our hearts strong.
I'm close to 70 and she is 65. I coned a friend to join us and he brought his Fat Tire mountain bike to ride.
Her bike is a nice light weight Japanese made Lotus ten speed and mine a Schwinn 100 year Anniversary Phantom that I installed a seven speed internal gear rear hub. This really helps having gears for the hills and it looks like the factory did it. I get lots of looks from the Carbon Fiber crowd. One fellow flagged me over and we had a nice talk on how I did the install.
We rode for eight miles today,not too bad for her heart and I got a good work out too. The paths are all paved that we used today and the wildlife was in full display with Geese,ducks, Blue Herons, Road Runners and Egrets were playing in the river as well as Beavers gnawing on trees. Lots of fish and turtles to be seen as well.
I had forgotten how relaxing and fun bike riding was and we plan on doing it as much as we can in the future.
The city has done a fine job on bike trails in the city and there are miles and miles of trails at the river, in the city and at the foot of Sandia Mountain.
Most trails are 6-7,000 feet ASL and give you a good work out. The mountain trails are very popular with the younger crowd. ( 12,000 feet on down)
Rob.

Last edited by Rapidrob; 05-06-18 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-06-18, 03:53 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
I tried riding there 4rs ago, I learned a painful lesson about the Albuquerque goat heads.

Now that I know what not to do, I'd like to go back and see if I can manage to do it without all the flats and a crash.
Old 05-06-18, 05:18 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapidrob
The wife and I did a first today. We took our bikes out of the garage for the first time in 20 years and rode the bike trails of the Rio Grande river in Albuqueque,NM.
Were both retired now and after a problem with Elaine's heart we decided to get into a good retinue to keep our hearts strong.
I'm close to 70 and she is 65. I coned a friend to join us and he brought his Fat Tire mountain bike to ride.
Her bike is a nice light weight Japanese made Lotus ten speed and mine a Schwinn 100 year Anniversary Phantom that I installed a seven speed internal gear rear hub. This really helps having gears for the hills and it looks like the factory did it. I get lots of looks from the Carbon Fiber crowd. One fellow flagged me over and we had a nice talk on how I did the install.
We rode for eight miles today,not too bad for her heart and I got a good work out too. The paths are all paved that we used today and the wildlife was in full display with Geese,ducks, Blue Herons, Road Runners and Egrets were playing in the river as well as Beavers gnawing on trees. Lots of fish and turtles to be seen as well.
I had forgotten how relaxing and fun bike riding was and we plan on doing it as much as we can in the future.
The city has done a fine job on bike trails in the city and there are miles and miles of trails at the river, in the city and at the foot of Sandia Mountain.
Most trails are 6-7,000 feet ASL and give you a good work out. The mountain trails are very popular with the younger crowd. ( 12,000 feet on down)
Rob.
Have you ridden the Turquoise Trail east of Albuquerque? Looked like a great ride when new were there in 2010 touring the west (by car).

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-06-18, 05:50 PM
Rapidrob

Bikes: Schwinn 100 year Anna. Phantom, Lotus road bike, Espresso road bike, Thor mountain bike, Huffy 1955 Crusier,others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The photo shows the rider is climbing the hill to Madrid,NM, I know it well from my work in Santa Fe. The downhill is several miles to the town and cold beer. Lots to see on the way.
He's climbing from 7,000 feet ASL to just over 8,000 as he rides towards Santa Fe, 35 miles farther out. The road in wint
Old 05-06-18, 05:55 PM
Rapidrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The photo shows the rider is climbing the hill to Madrid,NM, I know it well from my work in Santa Fe. The downhill is several miles to the town and cold beer. Lots to see on the way.
He's climbing from 7,000 feet ASL to just over 8,000 as he rides towards Santa Fe, 35 miles farther out.
The state is high desert. Albuquerque is higher than Denver. I live at 7,000 feet on the side of Thunder Mountain ( The last/first mountain in the Rocky Mountain chain)
Living here builds very strong lungs.