Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Lower back pain during first hour on road bike?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-18, 07:52 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts

Hello everyone,

I've got a problem with my road bike: Whenever I go on a shorter ride, around 1 hour, or during the first hour of longer rides (4-5 hours), I get lower back pain on the climbs, as if my lower back feels "cramped" or "compressed" and wants to stretch out more. Interestingly, the pain goes away after a couple of hours in the saddle.

I think the pain might be due to a number of possible reasons:

- My position on the road bike is more "aggressive" than on my commuter bike (an old road bike) that I ride every day, so my body gets used to the other position and needs time to adapt? Mostly higher saddle position on the road bike due to clipless vs flat pedals, and slightly shorter reach.
- Not enough reach, which is why my back feels "cramped" or "compressed"?
- Wrong saddle height? My back feels better with lower saddle height, but that height doesn't work for my legs and knees.
- Just lack of training (haven't been cycling much the past few months)?
- Lack of core strength?

I am hesitant to increase the reach on the handlebars, because I have been suffering from shoulder pain, which I believe was due to excessive reach.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

I'm thinking it might be time for a professional bike fit... even though I wanted to avoid spending that kind of money on it.

Thanks!
Old 07-30-18, 11:44 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Unhappy

Ibuprofen?

have you had jobs that required you to lift things repeatedly. ??

it may not be the bike.. do warm-up exercises before starting?
Old 07-31-18, 07:37 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Ibuprofen?

have you had jobs that required you to lift things repeatedly. ??

it may not be the bike.. do warm-up exercises before starting?
Thanks for the reply!

No, I sit at a desk for 8 hours a day, probably with bad posture, which does not help. I do not have any back pain normally, so it really must be something about the bike or fit.

Warm up exercises are a good idea. I am also starting some core strength exercises to see if that helps at all.

If nothing else helps, I might go get a professional fit done.
Old 07-31-18, 07:57 AM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I have had back problems in the past. I would highly recommend some back specific exercises. I am not saying it because of your issues while cycling, but because as with time and your back becomes weaker there is a good chance you will start to have problems outside of cycling as well.
Old 08-04-18, 05:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Can't tell anything without photos.
Old 08-05-18, 10:45 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Stretch
Old 08-06-18, 09:58 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I get something like that on one route that has a nasty little climb after 1 mile.

Sometimes my lower back muscles will spasm going down the back side- not enough warm up.
Old 08-06-18, 06:09 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
I think we could help much more if you could ask someone to take a picture of you in a couple positions from the side. One on the hoods, on in the drops. Bend your elbows as much as you do normally in each of those positions. Feel free to blur your face if you need to.

Also, do you know generally where you stand in terms of strength? For example, if you have a history in weight lifting and can deadlift 300lbs as you stand it'd be far fetched to say you have too weak of a back to ride a bike.
Old 08-07-18, 10:56 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
8 hours a day seated behind a desk is awful for cycling bodies, especially with bad posture. No pic required. It's not the just the lower back, the hamstrings and glutes and core muscles suffer, too, they're all connected and intertwined down there. Learning and using good posture, getting up every 20 minutes to stretch, option of a standing desk, daily stretching and squats works for me. It's a big list, but it's mine and it's been casually over the last year or so. Yoga works well, too, and helps with breathing (which I also understand to be important for cycling lol).

Last edited by Phamilton; 08-07-18 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Edit: note, posted while sitting behind desk with questionable posture
Old 08-07-18, 11:07 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Having the typical office worker's gut does you no favors on a bike. When I have had it in the past, it seemed to keep my back from staying straight while bent over on the bike. Pedaling for miles with a curved back is really asking for trouble. But assuming that's not the problem, I would try some yoga routines for the back.

Something I do after a long ride is do some dumbbell curls, with a focus on getting transitioned out of my hunched-over bike riding posture (which I can get locked into after many hours in the saddle) to a healthy "head balanced directly over my feet" posture. I have to work on this because riding a bike tends to hunch me over.

On a practical note, maybe the stem and / or the bike are too small, and you just need more reach. Difficult to say much more than that given the limited info.
Old 08-07-18, 02:43 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
For the price of a professional fit you could buy half a dozen stems, saddles, and figure it out yourself. Then you would know. In my view people tend to have too-large frames, too-long a reach, too-short stems, and too-high a stack.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 08-07-18 at 02:46 PM.