Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A new kind of leg exercise... anyone heard of it?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-18, 11:31 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts

Learned of it yesterday but not able to get much detail due to the circumstances but, it was from an PT-type person who's very fit. It involves an exercycle and people who've mastered the technique include those who no longer have a problem for which they previously thought a knee replacement surgery was required.

What I got out of it was that in the forward stroke the heel is pushed whereas the toe is pushed down on the return stroke. I envisaged a kind of flopping motion of the foot.

If I've understood the technique correctly, it sounds like a midfoot pedal position and then concentrating on lowering and raising the heel throughout the stroke.

I haven't tried it yet but since I use an recumbent exercise bike on most recovery days between outdoor riding, I could easily try it out and perhaps adopt the technique. Anyone heard of it or know much about whether any benefits gained by it, translate to better outdoor road biking ability?
Old 03-30-18, 11:54 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
There are theoretical mechanical benefits, plus it keeps one a bit limber. Anyway, it goes like this:
Just before the top of the stroke, one lifts one's forefoot so that it's higher than one's heel.
One pushes through across the top of the stroke with one's heel dropped a bit below the level on one's toe, using the quads. One sort of pushes forward with one's heel, relaxing the ankle.
On the downstroke, one keeps the ankle relaxed and the heel below the toe.
Toward the bottom of the stroke, one begins to pull back with the heel cup, allowing the toe to naturally come about level with the heel.
On the backstroke, one keeps the ankle relaxed and pulls slightly up with the heel cup.

So basically, all the way around, one pedals with the heel cup and a relaxed ankle. Of course that doesn't really happen as much as it feels like it's happening. Unavoidably, one will push down with the calf muscles to some extent, though that isn't what one's trying to do.

Of course one can "ankle" for short periods for extra power, pushing down powerfully with the calf muscles during the downstroke and finishing the stroke with the toe below the heel.

Nothing to do with a midfoot cleat placement, works the same with all placements.

The toe isn't pushed down on the backstroke, the ankle is simply relaxed and the heel precedes the forefoot on the way up.

Look at videos of pros climbing hard in the saddle. You'll see many of them doing exactly this. And then there are others who are toe-pointers.

I don't see what this has to do with knee issues, but I suppose it might, since it's the least stressful way to pedal, the lower leg being as relaxed as is possible.
Old 03-31-18, 01:22 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Worth a try. On most rides I spend at least a little time deliberately using more range of motion in pedaling, especially since switching to clipless on the road bike. Toe down for awhile. Then heel down. Then flopping around loosely while spinning. And when I'm riding the hybrid with platform pedals and casual shoes I'll switch between pedaling on the ball of the foot, middle of the arch, etc.

No particular goal in mind other than working on greater flexibility and range of motion. And it breaks up the monotony on some of my usual warm up segments before I hit the hard stuff.
Old 03-31-18, 02:50 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
We need to see it. Is there a vid?
Old 03-31-18, 11:51 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Could it be the old, OLD, OLD ankling technique **********

Old 03-31-18, 11:57 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I can produce a fairly high amount of power by consciously pushing down with my heel through the first half of the pedal stroke, and pulling up through the other half. Unfortunately, I can only do it for about 20 seconds, then my legs turn into sandbags. As such, generally reserved for 5-10 second in-the-saddle efforts when I don't want to shift to get over a small hill or rise. Using it as a regular thing just ain't gonna happen for me, at least.
Old 03-31-18, 03:04 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I tried it once but wound up with tendinitis in my Achilles. Very painful. Might have been my improper technique or maybe just a too drastic motion from how I normally pedaled.
Old 03-31-18, 06:25 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Could it be the old, OLD, OLD ankling technique **********

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0I6_gYPm7c
No, it's the opposite.
Old 03-31-18, 06:28 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Pretty much:

As the model demos, one-legged pedaling on trainer or rollers is a great way to practice the technique.
Old 03-31-18, 06:54 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
No, it's the opposite.
DOH!!! read it arse-backwards THANKS for correction
Old 03-31-18, 11:27 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Pretty much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z04uoO7U_SA

As the model demos, one-legged pedaling on trainer or rollers is a great way to practice the technique.
I've seen this before. I tried it once but didn't keep at it. Maybe practice it again on my next ride.
Old 04-01-18, 08:44 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I've done this method on and off since I was in my late teens. It extends the range of the power stroke because at the top of the crank, you're pushing foreward instead of waiting to pushdown at 45degrees. And at the bottom, you can still apply some power by pulling the pedal backward. You can even assist the other foot's power down stroke by pulling the pedal upward on the return stroke.

What's old is new again.
Old 04-01-18, 08:58 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I can produce a fairly high amount of power by consciously pushing down with my heel through the first half of the pedal stroke, and pulling up through the other half. Unfortunately, I can only do it for about 20 seconds, then my legs turn into sandbags. As such, generally reserved for 5-10 second in-the-saddle efforts when I don't want to shift to get over a small hill or rise. Using it as a regular thing just ain't gonna happen for me, at least.
You can retain the first part of that, combined with pulling back at the bottom, and cancel the pull-up. That's a good trade-off from using the downstroke more. A gentle top push and bottom pull works the whole thigh quite comfortably. Unweighting the up-pedal by using the heel cup instead of keeping the shin tensed then allows one to use the shin muscle actively to lift the toe at 10:00-11:00, preparing for the heel push across the top. It's interesting to try to get all that to work while trying to relax the legs at the same time. The feeling is to not have any one muscle do much at all, because they all do a little. Or if one is pushing, to have the whole leg pushing.
Old 04-01-18, 09:39 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I've done this method on and off since I was in my late teens. It extends the range of the power stroke because at the top of the crank, you're pushing foreward instead of waiting to pushdown at 45degrees. And at the bottom, you can still apply some power by pulling the pedal backward. You can even assist the other foot's power down stroke by pulling the pedal upward on the return stroke.

What's old is new again.
I can see how it would work well in the case of overall leg exercise and distribution (and certainly take some pressure off the knees), but I'm not sure about how that equates to mechanical efficiency? The internal combustion engine only has one power stroke.
Old 04-02-18, 07:14 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Crap... I can't even strum a guitar and tap my foot in tempo at the same time.