Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Giant TCR: Medium Large or Large?

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Old 01-08-19, 01:30 AM
brainplanet2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, first time posting after reading a lot of great stuff here. I'm hoping someone can give input on my sizing conundrum. I'm looking at a used 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc in size Large and wondering if it will work for me size-wise. Here are the facts:
(1) I'm 6 feet tall (183cm), inseam 33.8 inches (86cm), 164 lbs (74.4kg), long-ish arms.
(2) Based on a lot of research, I'm pretty sure I would order a Medium/Large if I were ordering a new one, although according to Giant's size table, I'm right on the edge between M/L and L. But I'm looking on the used market, and this one is a Large. Otherwise, it is exactly what I want (even colors) and a good price.
(3) I did test the bike, just around the guy's block, and it felt good. If anything, a bit upright (and comfy), but good. I'm crap when it comes to assessing a bike's fit by just riding for a couple minutes, so I don't put a lot of stock in this.
(4) I've read everything I can get my hands on, and my conclusion is that most people my size ride a M/L, but there are some (a minority for sure) who ride a Large. In fact, the guy who is selling it got professionally fitted and they told him to get a Large, and he is a hair shorter than I am (but a significantly thicker guy). A racer I spoke to is also 6 ft and rides a Large - with a long stem!
(5) I have an old alum TCR1 that is a Medium (there was no M/L then) that I think is roughly equivalent to an M/L now. Has a 110mm stem. I can ride well on it, but I do think there's too much weight on my hands, and my lower back sometimes hurts. (I've never been professionally fitted)
(6) I'm in my 40s and I'm reasonably fit and ride hard, but given I'm not getting any younger I don't want a super aggressive/low position. Moderately racy is enough (Merckx fit?).
This is already more than I was planning to write, so I'll stop here. Any thoughts or personal experiences are welcome, especially from those of you familiar with Giant TCRs and their weird sizing. Thanks!
Old 01-08-19, 04:30 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
The trend nowadays is the more compact frame. But you need to decide what's comfortable for you over the long-haul, not what's trendy or fashionable for the moment.
Old 01-21-19, 01:51 PM
Carverbiker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Always hard to say with these things via the internet, however I would say you could ride either one based on the info you provided. Difference might be a shorter stem on the large and possibly fewer spacers. I am 5’10 and have most of the length in my torso vs legs and I prefer the M/L size due to the lower stack height of the frame. I ride a defy advanced with a -17 stem at 110mm with 10mm of spacers. So a low position. Large would be too high for me in most cases. The other thing to consider is the difference in stand over height of the frames, you posted that you rode it so you should know your answer but if it just brushes the boys then it may not be the most comfortable. I also ride a tcr advanced sl and use m/l in that as well. Finally if you understand stack and reach and can get the measurements from your existing frame, stem and bar reach you can use this calculator to duplicate your position www.velogicfit.com. Use products drop down to frame comparison tool.
Old 01-25-19, 10:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
usually bike 'size' is the length of the frame seat tube from BB axis upward, in Cm.. so more like shoes than T shirts..

you probably want a stand-over trial of the bike, in person, can't to that web shopping..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-25-19 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-25-19, 01:47 PM
Carverbiker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This leads to why the terms stack and reach where developed, many frames are measured by top tube length and with the advent of the compact frame geometry, frames are sized by the virtual top tube, a line parallel to the ground from head tube to seat tube to account for the sloping top tube on compact geometry frames. Yes seat tube length is still used but decreasingly so.