Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Saddles for Touring: Any Adamo Users???

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-15, 01:59 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts

I'm currently saving for a Trek 520 to use as a commuter and light touring bike. I was set on purchasing a Brooks B17, but after reading about them, I'm not sure it would be right for me. I currently have an Adamo Road Saddle on my road bike, and I love it. I concerned that I am used to a cut out, and I may not be able to adjust to the relatively firm Brooks B17. I could not tolerate the Fizik saddle that came with my road bike, and changed it even before I took the bike home from my LBS. To me, it felt like a crotch anvil, and I just couldn't sit at all on it.

I looked at the ISM Adamo website, and it looked as though the PR 2.0, PR 1.0 or PR 3.0 might be a good fit for me.

I thank you in advance for your experience and input.
Old 09-28-15, 02:09 PM
Mongoeric

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Adamo Road and have put quite a few miles on it, including extended tours.

Before the Adamo I was plagued by 'numbness.' I tried a B-17 before the Adamo, though I didn't try it for very long. It didn't make my 'numbness better and didn't give me confidence that sticking with it would change anything. My 'numbness' felt better right away with the Adamo.

I don't understand why your are reluctant to tour with the Adamo when you love it on a day to day basis. What makes touring different from riding day to day when it comes to the saddle?

Good luck.
Old 09-29-15, 12:36 PM
Lou Skannon

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I toured with an Adamo on my fatbike this Summer. No problems with it at all. I've had it on the fatbike since I bought it. I thought it would let me get my feet down a fraction of a second quicker than an ordinary seat [when riding on ice]. But for me; anything is better than a Brooks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
kvr19gazgrass.JPG (87.3 KB, 74 views)
Old 09-29-15, 05:40 PM
jazzgeek79

Bikes: Trek 700 (2000ish), 88 Schwinn Voyaguer, late 80's-ish lugged Spalding mountain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This post is in no way an endorsement or either Adamo or Brooks. Just my experience of late. I've been on a B17 the last few years. I suspect mine is overstretched and I've been looking into switching it up. I just tested an Adamo Century. After a previous 2-3 mile set up ride, I brought the Century on a 25 mile ride with my wife on a MUP. I rode two miles and it was okay for me, but when I put my Brooks back on the bike just to compare. It felt so good to me in comparison to the Adamo that I kept the B17 on for the rest of the ride. I also seem to not do well with cutouts. I do not have any numbness issues with the Brooks. I currently have it set up almost level, with the nose pointed up maybe 1 degree. I also suspect that I may have liked the Adamo more if I had a seat post with more built in setback. I have an older no setback post, and the clamp wouldn't allow me to set up the saddle with more setback do to the shape of the saddle getting closer to the rails as it got closer to the nose.
Old 09-30-15, 02:15 AM
schnee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Why use an antique like a Brooks when we have Specialized BG saddles?

I love the fact that they have different widths for different hip bones. Best saddles ever.
Old 09-30-15, 03:32 AM
arnaguedes

Bikes: Charge Duster Chromoly

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
selle smp trk, no more numbness, I love mine, even on extended days 140km
Old 09-30-15, 04:59 AM
Joe Minton

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hi-Fi Deluxe, Giant Stance, Cannondale Synapse, Diamondback 8sp IGH, 1989 Merckx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have two Adamo "Prologues". They are fitted to my every-day bikes and are very comfortable for anything less than 20 miles. After the 20 miles or so, my hamstrings begin to ache because of the width of the saddle. I am going to try the new softer version of the Adamo "Attack" because it is narrower in the hamstring area.
I have a Cobb "Randee" that solves the hamstring impingement problem, but -- it places pressure, and some pain, on my perineum. It is, though, the best saddle I have for long distance travel. It is fitted to my Cannodale "Synapse" which I'll ride 50 miles or more at a time.

I have always had trouble (numbness and pain) with normal saddles. In my admittedly limited experience, the noseless Adamos and, to a lesser extent, Cobb saddle have greatly reduced or eliminated this problem. Back when I was club racing (middle of the last century) I found the Brooks "Swift" to be the best saddle for me. It was narrow and there was no hamstring pain; I just figured that I had to put-up with the numbness and pain at the base of my Willie.

The noseless designs address a problem (numbness and pain) that, I suspect, many of us suffer with. There seems to be a strong tendency to ignore or accept perineum pain. I cannot accept that this should be so; sitting on a bicycle seat need not be painful and we need not accept that it is.

Joe
Old 10-01-15, 07:04 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Mongoeric
I use the Adamo Road and have put quite a few miles on it, including extended tours.

Before the Adamo I was plagued by 'numbness.' I tried a B-17 before the Adamo, though I didn't try it for very long. It didn't make my 'numbness better and didn't give me confidence that sticking with it would change anything. My 'numbness' felt better right away with the Adamo.

I don't understand why your are reluctant to tour with the Adamo when you love it on a day to day basis. What makes touring different from riding day to day when it comes to the saddle?

Good luck.
I asked the question, rather than just buying another Adamo right away, because I figured I'd be a bit more upright in a touring bicycle. I've heard so much about the Brooks B17 for touring, so my first inclination was to purchase one of those. But yes, I do like my Adamo Road saddle. Considering, the slightly different position of the touring bike and the potentially longer rides, I also thought about the Adamo "touring" saddles I mentioned above too.
Old 10-01-15, 11:07 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Mongoeric

Good luck.
I wonder the same thing, unless you feel the fit difference between the bikes would make a difference. If you like the Adamo already, I would give it a try. The other option I would suggest would be the Selle Atomica if you aren't considering a Brooks. The Selle Atomica with the cutout is very comfortable for many right out of the box. Still, if you already know the Adamo works for you...

I just read you above post and see it is the difference between the positioning on the bikes that is making you lean towards a different type seat.

The Brooks will get less firm. It will flex very much once it is broken in, but it won't be soft. There is a world of difference between my wife's very hard, not broken in B17 and my well used one.

The Selle Atomica will flex more right out of the box and is comfortable immediately for many. They do well with their cutout models.

If you want to try a Brooks, I would recommend getting it from wallbike.com | Wallingford Bike Parts they have a six month unconditional guarantee. You have six months to try it out. If you don't like it, send it back for a refund.

Last edited by phughes; 10-01-15 at 11:14 PM.