Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Hello all

Old 11-17-17, 05:50 AM
FinkFloyd

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all

Long-time lurker; first-time poster; thought I should say hi.

I'm a relatively new cyclist - been at it about 18 months or so - and started track cycling last December. I love it and it's something I'd like to get good at. My local velodrome is the National Cycling Centre at Manchester; did a few tasters there in December-March before starting the accreditation programme (4-stage process; currently in stage 3) with a view to doing some Structured Quality Training sessions soon-ish and possibly entering the track league next winter.

I've read through the long stickied threads on here about advice etc; what an incredible resource this place is. I felt I understood a lot more about the sport after reading it, though my overriding impression is that the learning curve is both long and steep. Expect questions to follow...

I bought a secondhand track bike in September; nothing too flashy but the price was right and it's a country mile ahead of the hire bikes in terms of the riding experience. Picture attached - it's a Winspace track frame (a brand I'd not previously heard of) with a variety of bits and Planet X tubular wheels (currently on Conti Sprinters). It was a 'bitsa' the previous owner had put together; since the picture attached was taken I've swapped out the saddle in favour of a Specialized Power saddle - which I have on all my bikes - and have bought some 35cm 3T Scattos and a 3T stem for it (largely because I have a weakness for shiny carbon fibre things and like how they look, rather than any proper performance reason).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Track bike.jpg (108.7 KB, 131 views)
Old 11-17-17, 10:01 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Hi, FinkFloyd!

Welcome to the forum!

As you've noted, track cycling is easy to learn and difficult to master...and fun the entire way.

Nice bike!

Feel free to jump in with questions, comments, or answers.
Old 11-17-17, 11:12 AM
MrMinty

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8, Claud Butler Roubaix, Raleigh Equipe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Floyd

Good to hear from a fellow Brit.

I'm in exactly the same situation as you- I'm on Stage 3 of my accreditation at Manchester. I've also raced at Knowsley and Newcastle-Under-Lyme.

I've got my own track bike too, luckily enough to never have used the hire bikes.

Probably see you at the next stage 4? Whereabouts geographically are you from? I live in Wrexham, North Wales
Old 11-17-17, 12:18 PM
FinkFloyd

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrMinty
Probably see you at the next stage 4? Whereabouts geographically are you from? I live in Wrexham, North Wales
Hi - I'm very close then. Originally from Dolgellau, Gwynedd; live in Chester now. Entirely possible that I'll have seen you at some point if you're a regular at Manchester.
Old 11-17-17, 01:53 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
The learning curve is steep initially but levels off pretty quickly. It looks like the power graph from a standing start. Don't be intimidated by the amount of new info you come across, nor your initial mastery of it. As long as you ride with an eye to safety, you'll be able to enjoy this sport for a long time. Cheers!
Old 12-22-17, 08:58 AM
MrMinty

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8, Claud Butler Roubaix, Raleigh Equipe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkFloyd
Hi - I'm very close then. Originally from Dolgellau, Gwynedd; live in Chester now. Entirely possible that I'll have seen you at some point if you're a regular at Manchester.
Was that you there on Saturday in the Chester CC Jersey? I was in my Wrexham RC kit if it was you!
Old 12-22-17, 04:29 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Good looking bike. I'm sure it will be pretty with some new carbon pieces. Ever thought of taking a link out of that chain to get the wheel tucked closer into that seat tube?