Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 06-04-20, 10:14 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Peak 1397 yesterday
Power?

Are you back riding?
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 06-05-20, 12:14 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Power?

Are you back riding?
Yup! Power!
Trying to get back into it to stay in it. Will likely try to set up a sports med apt when things start calming down so I can get ahead of whatever it was in my knee that made me stop ages ago. Knee has still been acting up a bit, but I'm being very careful not to overdo it and have been trying to make small fit changes on the trainer so I don't commit to doing a 2 hr ride without something that feels atleast somewhat familiar.
Old 06-05-20, 08:06 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
I thought it was a date such as 1492 when Columbus discovered America.
Old 06-05-20, 10:03 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Originally Posted by Hermes
I thought it was a date such as 1492 when Columbus discovered America.
Soon hopefully.

My guess is I could probably hit close to that if I did that when I was fresh instead of at the end of a ride!
Old 06-05-20, 11:29 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
if you're not racing who cares if your sprint is 1397 or 1450? Not a lot of correlation between sprinting prowess and health and fitness. Best masters sprinters are typically fat old guys who look like they drive buses for a living.

Last edited by gsteinb; 06-05-20 at 11:45 AM.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 06-05-20, 11:34 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
if you're not racing who cares if you're sprint is 1397 or 1450? Not a lot of correlation between sprinting prowess and health and fitness. Best masters sprinters are typically fat old guys who look like they drive buses for a living.
My friend who raced crits as cat 3 recorded over 1600 watts during a pull in the middle of a race the first time he measured power. He was probably 265 pounds then.
Old 06-05-20, 11:35 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Best masters sprinters are typically fat old guys who look like they drive buses for a living.
I now have a new goal to shoot for when I reach my golden years, thanks...
Old 06-05-20, 12:06 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

if you're not racing who cares if your sprint is 1397 or 1450? Not a lot of correlation between sprinting prowess and health and fitness. Best masters sprinters are typically fat old guys who look like they drive buses for a living.
Benchmarks against 19-20 year old me.

Also, isn't everyone currently not racing?

Originally Posted by big john
My friend who raced crits as cat 3 recorded over 1600 watts during a pull in the middle of a race the first time he measured power. He was probably 265 pounds then.
WR peaked at 1800ish iirc.
But he was all about the kilo attack.
Old 06-05-20, 12:16 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Benchmarks against 19-20 year old me.

that's a fool's errand

Also, isn't everyone currently not racing?
ok. nm.
Old 06-05-20, 12:35 PM
big john

WR peaked at 1800ish iirc.
But he was all about the kilo attack.
He's a pretty big fella, no? Maybe only 200, I don't remember.
Old 06-05-20, 04:54 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

He's a pretty big fella, no? Maybe only 200, I don't remember.
His race weight was in the 180s afaik. I had asked him about it recently because I've been pestering him about bike stuff haha. He actually bought a new bike! Not just on the Ritchey anymore.

I actually met up with him when i was in Austin!
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 06-05-20, 05:21 PM
big john

His race weight was in the 180s afaik. I had asked him about it recently because I've been pestering him about bike stuff haha. He actually bought a new bike! Not just on the Ritchey anymore.

I actually met up with him when i was in Austin!
There was the famous Trek which he made a thread about and I think he had a Fuji after that? He always seemed like a great guy but I never met him. Glad to hear he still rides.
Old 06-07-20, 02:59 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
After 10 weeks of telecommuting we're finally being called in. Most aren't happy about it, especially since we're having record cases and roughly 20% is over 60. However our managers never worked from home (pretty sure they don't think its a threat), and despite telling us we did a great job, they obviously missed their 'toys'. Considering our cubicle environment and how close everyone is there is a fair chance of an outbreak.

According to my wife (who is the COVID coordinator for 20+ manufacturing plants) management can be personally sued for any COVID related issues since they are going against State recommendations which are to telecommute if available.

I'm not as worried about it as I was in March, and people in much worse shape than me have to confront it daily (though I'm more concerned for my coworkers) so we are lucky to have a job where we can work from home. That being said, I still don't want to get it.
Old 06-07-20, 03:08 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
After 10 weeks of telecommuting we're finally being called in. Most aren't happy about it, especially since we're having record cases and roughly 20% is over 60. However our managers never worked from home (pretty sure they don't think its a threat), and despite telling us we did a great job, they obviously missed their 'toys'. Considering our cubicle environment and how close everyone is there is a fair chance of an outbreak.

According to my wife (who is the COVID coordinator for 20+ manufacturing plants) management can be personally sued for any COVID related issues since they are going against State recommendations which are to telecommute if available.

I'm not as worried about it as I was in March, and people in much worse shape than me have to confront it daily (though I'm more concerned for my coworkers) so we are lucky to have a job where we can work from home. That being said, I still don't want to get it.
They're not forcing my work back to the office, but giving the option to most (forcing a few managers). The current phase here is still supposed to be "telecommute if possible" though, and it's clearly been possible, so the fact they're asking certain people to come in.

I won't be going in. But if I get my new job which doesn't have a local office I am thinking of leasing a small office. Because of the security of what I'll be doing a We Work type won't fly, but a single professional office with a door and keycard that is just mine should be ok. I'll be 1099 so I can deduct the expenses. I'm driving my wife crazy, she wants the house back so she can exercise, and school the kids, and sing and dance and do stuff she isn't comfortable doing with me around.

I'd work better like that anyway. At home I want to see the kids, see the wife, work on odd jobs.
Old 06-08-20, 12:27 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I can't post up a reply to the real person, it would just be too harsh, but it does bug me. They posted on FB about accomplishing a virtual Everesting. Cool.

I look at the data, average of what appears to be 150w while ascending. This was on Alpe du Zwift. I did the math, and even on a 34/36 gear, you'd be at 40rpm during the 14% grades and 60rpm on the overall average.

Effectively, they altered the trainer difficulty low enough to make it work. Which to me, is NOT a virtual Everesting. It's a monumental waste of 14 hours of pain to not accomplish what you claim you did.

Again, it would be too brutal or mean to point this out, but I could NEVER spend 14 hours doing something if it was essentially a compromise or pretty much a "fake".

The official grey stripe rules for v-Everesting are 100% trainer difficulty. If you don't own a nice enough trainer for 100% difficulty and actual % grade of the Alpe, you must choose a shallower climb.
Old 06-08-20, 12:39 PM
big john

It's hard enough to care about "real" Everesting.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-08-20, 12:53 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Didn't know there were rules about vEveresting. I thought you just had to climb 10,000 meters.
Likes For himespau:
Old 06-08-20, 01:32 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
They're not forcing my work back to the office, but giving the option to most (forcing a few managers). The current phase here is still supposed to be "telecommute if possible" though, and it's clearly been possible, so the fact they're asking certain people to come in.

I won't be going in. But if I get my new job which doesn't have a local office I am thinking of leasing a small office. Because of the security of what I'll be doing a We Work type won't fly, but a single professional office with a door and keycard that is just mine should be ok. I'll be 1099 so I can deduct the expenses. I'm driving my wife crazy, she wants the house back so she can exercise, and school the kids, and sing and dance and do stuff she isn't comfortable doing with me around.

I'd work better like that anyway. At home I want to see the kids, see the wife, work on odd jobs.
Hoo boy did I open up a can of worms.

LLC, LLP, S-corp, sole proprietor, tax considerations, liability insurance, unemployment insurance, workers comp, drug and alcohol policies...
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 06-08-20, 01:49 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I can't post up a reply to the real person, it would just be too harsh, but it does bug me. They posted on FB about accomplishing a virtual Everesting. Cool.

I look at the data, average of what appears to be 150w while ascending. This was on Alpe du Zwift. I did the math, and even on a 34/36 gear, you'd be at 40rpm during the 14% grades and 60rpm on the overall average.

Effectively, they altered the trainer difficulty low enough to make it work. Which to me, is NOT a virtual Everesting. It's a monumental waste of 14 hours of pain to not accomplish what you claim you did.

Again, it would be too brutal or mean to point this out, but I could NEVER spend 14 hours doing something if it was essentially a compromise or pretty much a "fake".

The official grey stripe rules for v-Everesting are 100% trainer difficulty. If you don't own a nice enough trainer for 100% difficulty and actual % grade of the Alpe, you must choose a shallower climb.
If they spent 14 hours pedaling. I think that qualifies, regardless of how hard the went.
Old 06-08-20, 02:39 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

furiousferret that sounds ridiculous. Hopefully they reverse especially if the WFH isn't hurting productivity.

It's hard enough to care about "real" Everesting.
14 hours on a trainer is some soviet level ****.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 06-09-20, 03:03 PM
furiousferret

So the good thing about being back at work is seeing all your friends. I told my coworker I was learning Spanish, and now he's on board, so I have a language buddy. He then tells me, "This will be good because my mom doesn't speak English"....and yes his mom raised him. So his mom spoke no English, her kids knew about 25 Spanish words, and that went on for 18 years. Weird world. Even for immigrants that has to be odd.

Work isn't too bad, but some are scared af. Wearing full facemasks in addition to their mask. The rhetoric from the top seems to be, 'You're not actually scared of it are you?' I think its pretty easy for someone in my age bracket to not be concerned but some of our employees (or their parents at home) have about the same chance of mortality as a dentist not recommending a toothpaste.
Old 06-09-20, 03:32 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
So the good thing about being back at work is seeing all your friends. I told my coworker I was learning Spanish, and now he's on board, so I have a language buddy. He then tells me, "This will be good because my mom doesn't speak English"....and yes his mom raised him. So his mom spoke no English, her kids knew about 25 Spanish words, and that went on for 18 years. Weird world. Even for immigrants that has to be odd.
Yeah, I'd be totally surprised that there wasn't a greater level of fluency, but I can relate to losing the fluency over time. My parents came from Portugal and my hometown is one of the larger Portuguese populations in the US, there are some in MA, Newark has a sizable population, and there are some spots out in CA where folks settled. Anyhow, because of being in a population center, I was sent to Portuguese language school during evenings from 1st-9th grade and had an advanced literature class in high school. 20 years later, my fluency is crap, I only speak with my parents and even then I tend to mix languages because a lot of times I have a hard time nailing something I can express much better in english. I'd have to spend a few months overseas to really regain fluency
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 06-09-20, 04:17 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
A friend of mine noted that with the nearby campgrounds all closed for the virus, it would be a good time to stealth camp. There's one with 5 sites in a cove just across the golden gate with views of the city and bridge. My wife, who has never been interested in riding has been doing some short & easy rides with me lately, so we crammed a tent, pad, burrito and snacks into the backpack and rode across the bridge Sunday night. Just chilled on the beach til sunset, setup the tent at dusk in a spot behind a hill from the dirt road in case a ranger came by to collect garbage. It was really nice until about 10 am the next day as we were trying to work on barely any sleep lol. Saw a couple coyotes chasing a deer at sunrise.
Old 06-10-20, 05:09 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Yeah, I'd be totally surprised that there wasn't a greater level of fluency, but I can relate to losing the fluency over time. My parents came from Portugal and my hometown is one of the larger Portuguese populations in the US, there are some in MA, Newark has a sizable population, and there are some spots out in CA where folks settled. Anyhow, because of being in a population center, I was sent to Portuguese language school during evenings from 1st-9th grade and had an advanced literature class in high school. 20 years later, my fluency is crap, I only speak with my parents and even then I tend to mix languages because a lot of times I have a hard time nailing something I can express much better in english. I'd have to spend a few months overseas to really regain fluency
I've only met one Portuguese person out here in California. This kid at my Junior High School would always get in fights because they'd call him white and he'd proclaim he's Portuguese and start punching people. Tough kid, because of him and Ronaldo I don't mess with them. He did look white though. (actually he looked like the Karate Kid).

Last edited by furiousferret; 06-10-20 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-11-20, 09:17 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
When I was in middle school, my father's business partner in Montreal sent his son, who was a year or two younger than me, down to live with us for the summer. Basically, the kid refused to learn English, so his father thought a summer in the states would help.

Every time we introduced him as being from Canada, he would get irate, and scream, "I'm not from Canada! I'm from Quebec!"

After awhile, we started saying he was from Canada just to tick him off.
Likes For topflightpro:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.