Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Trainer stands for heavy people

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-21, 11:36 AM
grade

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bike Trainer stands for heavy peoplei am currently wanting to take my bike inside and put it on a trainer stand to bike inside instead of buying a stationary bike or spin bike etc. does anyone know of a trainer stand that can hold up to 450 lbs?

already discussed with doctors etc and working closely with appropriate people.
Old 02-15-21, 01:03 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Perhaps Tacx Neo would have a higher limit, in pictures it looks wide and sturdy.

Most manufacturers list weight limits in the specifications on their websites.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 04-29-21 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-15-21, 01:08 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
I don't know about weight limits on indoor trainers...You would just need to examine the specs of particular models. If you can't find that info at their websites, I'm sure the CS people would respond.

Just a thought: have you considered a stationary bike? I would guess that those would have higher weight limits. Perhaps not as comfortable as riding your own bike indoors, but might work.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-15-21, 01:55 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
So a while ago Kinetic doesn't advertise a limit on the non-rock and roll trainers. I called their CS line and at that time probably 5 years ago he told me if my bike will hold me the trainer will too.

I have had a smart road trainer for 5 years or so, not an issue. My heavies was 336lbs. Not at 450 but maybe your best option?

Good luck!
Old 02-15-21, 02:09 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I would reach out to Saris Cycle Group (they do all the Cycleops stuff) and maybe other manufacturers like Tacx and Wahoo and see what they recommend. I have a fear you might need a dedicated stationary bike but I am not sure. Good luck on everything.
Old 02-15-21, 03:30 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
you're removing the added accessories & not wearing a camelback, correct? If you have not removed those things, remove them.

Also, sdmc530 gave a rational response.
Old 02-15-21, 05:20 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Try posting or having this thread moved to the Clydesdale forum, you might get a better response.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-15-21, 07:44 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Try posting or having this thread moved to the Clydesdale forum, you might get a better response.
I would consider moving the thread there but creating multiple duplicate threads is a no-no.
Old 02-15-21, 08:01 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would consider moving the thread there but creating multiple duplicate threads is a no-no.
Ask the mods to move it...they are good like that

Old 02-16-21, 11:19 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by grade
Bike Trainer stands for heavy peoplei am currently wanting to take my bike inside and put it on a trainer stand to bike inside instead of buying a stationary bike or spin bike etc. does anyone know of a trainer stand that can hold up to 450 lbs?

already discussed with doctors etc and working closely with appropriate people.
Have you checked with any of the companies, like Cylops, Kinetic or Wahoo about what their stands are rated for? On my Wahoo Kickr and Kinetic Road I'm not too worried, but I'm right around 200 - borderline Clyde, but there are a lot of people much farther into this weight class. Selle Anatomica publishes a weight rating of 250# for some of their saddles ... Certainly it is something the companies think about.

Plus, BF has a forum for heavier riders, I think it's called Clydesdales.
Old 02-18-21, 11:40 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
My Wahoo Kickr Core seems very sturdy. I am about 190 lbs, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't hold someone far heavier.
Old 02-18-21, 01:30 PM
Troul 

the limiter will be where the trainer mounts to the bicycle. The "axle" nubs that are pinched to hold the bicycle stationary needs to be very secure.
Old 02-18-21, 01:38 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
the limiter will be where the trainer mounts to the bicycle. The "axle" nubs that are pinched to hold the bicycle stationary needs to be very secure.
A direct drive trainer wouldn't have this problem. Direct drive trainers, like my Wahoo Kickr Core, use a thru-axle or quick release, and the bike rests on the trainer's "hub axle" just like a wheel's axle. I think the frame of the bike would break before the trainer would.
Old 02-18-21, 01:49 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Travel Trac Comp Fluid Used Trainer on Ebay, click here

This is a very strong / stable / heavily built trainer. I used this .... actually still have this since 2015 and haven't had any issues with it. I started using it when I was close to 370lbs.

Once you lose weight and have had it for a few years, you will realize the limitations it has since it does not have as good of resistance as other brands like the newer Saris trainers.

I would suggest going to Performance Bikes to buy new and get free shipping, but just checked their site and doesn't appear they either have anymore or don't sell anymore. Not sure which it is.
Old 02-18-21, 03:07 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by HarborBandS
A direct drive trainer wouldn't have this problem. Direct drive trainers, like my Wahoo Kickr Core, use a thru-axle or quick release, and the bike rests on the trainer's "hub axle" just like a wheel's axle. I think the frame of the bike would break before the trainer would.
mine has a resistance setting that you can apply. If the bicycle sags onto the roller due to distress, that'll add a false resistance.