Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lower End and Absurd Prices...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-21, 07:02 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts

When I became interested in vintage road bicycles and aware of Ebay Vintage Cycles section, I could snap up an early Colnago for a $102.00 USD. That is, most certainly, not the case in today's market place. And today, as a retiree, my income is fixed (actually broken). With that in mind, I cannot begin to afford to restore the top dogs in the various French, Italian, English and what ever other market you are aware of...

The last high ender that I restored was my late fifties Rabeneick (picture above and below) and if had not been for my accumulated stash of vintage parts, even that build would have been out of the question...

Today, I lean towards more entry level steeds which are every bit as much fun to find, restore and ride as the elite bow wows of days gone bye...

But, even now, prices for entry level stuff is becoming unapproachable for a resource challenged fellow like me. If it were not for generous BF members, I would not have been able to acquire certain components for bikes already built or about to be built...

This old Raleigh, which I got for free (actually through a long term agreement with a mountain bike guy who trades me stuff for stuff I trade to him), I would not be able to restore this old Carlton...

Were I impatient, this Valentino set, targetted for the Carlton, would not have been with-in my resource reach...

If the prices continue to soar, it will make me sore in the pocket book. Pooey stinko!
Old 04-02-21, 08:38 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Randy, I think you meant to post this to regular old C&V, rather than the sales section, yes?
Old 04-02-21, 09:28 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Prices are getting a bit obnoxious and I think it's bubble-up from the auction sites and CL causing it. Seems the only place to get low-dollar anything anymore is on FB Marketplace and occasionally OfferUp.

Granted, not sure for our friends to the north like you, maybe Kijijiji (or whatever) isn't quite as bad as Craigslist has become.

Old 04-02-21, 09:43 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Thread moved from C&V Sales to C&V