Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Postal Scam - Be Careful..!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21, 02:23 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts

Through Ebay, I purchased a Campagnolo entry level transmission. Got a good deal, in my opinion, and it was sent to me via International Priority Shipping to Canada via the Global Shipping Program...

I was supplied a tracking number and everything looked good until I received an email from Canada Post that asked me to send them $2.99 import fees, payable by credit card. Red flags went up, in my mind. I never just click on something unless I feel safe in doing so. The email said that if I did not pay with-in 48 hours, the package would be sent back to the sender. I darn near clicked. Thank goodness I didn't.

The next morning, first thing, I drove into the city to pick up the parcel, which is what I would normally do when a package was listed as arrived. I was also concerned about the new pay us first by email and wanted to be sure of what I was doing. Turned out to be a scam and the lady at the post office told me that a lot of people had been caught by the scam. I offer this event as a warning to others. Be careful, there are are viruses out there than the one that is killing people.
Old 04-07-21, 02:46 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Thanks for the heads up randyjawa
Old 04-07-21, 04:35 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Thanks Randy!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-07-21, 05:16 PM
DiegoFrogs

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I'm curious... how did the spoofer know that you were expecting an international package? And that you're Canadian, no less...
Likes For DiegoFrogs:
Old 04-07-21, 05:47 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
makes one wonder how the scammer knew you had a package due?
Canada Post hacked?

I get plenty of potential scam calls at work...
robo and live... we are going to shut off your electric service in 30 minutes... once even giving a toll free number to call... Sure.
that sense of Alarm, induce you to not think straight.
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-07-21, 08:27 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by DiegoFrogs
I'm curious... how did the spoofer know that you were expecting an international package? And that you're Canadian, no less...
Originally Posted by repechage
makes one wonder how the scammer knew you had a package due?
Yup, that's what I'd wonder, too. Unless it was a "hail mary/throw out a ton of emails" phishing thing and it just so happened that one of the people they sent it to (you) had actually ordered something online...
Likes For Kat12:
Old 04-07-21, 08:43 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
These days the percentage of people who have recently ordered something online is fairly high.
Old 04-07-21, 10:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Probably a Hail Mary toss, hoping to hit something. I get a lot of email scams but most go directly to my junk bin. I have a few email accounts and use only one for PayPal, another for Amazon, another for ebay, etc., so if I ever receive an email alert about PayPal in the account that I never use for PayPal, it's easy to spot the fake.

I always go directly to the appropriate website to confirm anything. Which is why it's so annoying that so many organizations still expect us to click on buttons directly from emails, rather than navigating to our accounts on the websites. It tends to lull us into carelessness. I tend to trust only the organizations that notify me of something that needs my attention, but don't provide any direct link.

During the past year I'd guesstimate more than half of my emails and received phone calls are spam and scams. Probably closer to 75% with my incoming phone calls, including up to a dozen a day about "your car warranty expiring."
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-08-21, 01:15 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Originally Posted by DiegoFrogs

Exactly and I am darned curious also. That's why I drove all the way into the city to check into the situation. Lucky I did.
Old 04-08-21, 06:23 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,639 Times in 2,602 Posts
Seems like a lot of effort for $2.99.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 04-08-21, 06:57 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I always go directly to the appropriate website to confirm anything. Which is why it's so annoying that so many organizations still expect us to click on buttons directly from emails, rather than navigating to our accounts on the websites. It tends to lull us into carelessness. I tend to trust only the organizations that notify me of something that needs my attention, but don't provide any direct link.
Where I work, we have to take annual cyber security training. We don't give it much thought until an email arrives stating the training is due. The training is done through a contractor instead of our own in-house training department.
The training includes red flags to spot phishing email like:
Comes from an organization you are not familiar with. Check.
Includes a link in the email to take you directly to the site. Check
Includes a sense of urgency or that something bad will happen if you don't respond. Double Check.
Every year we wonder if it a trap until someone tries the link to see if it is legit.
Old 04-08-21, 06:57 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
So the email arrived just before - and on the same day - as when the package arrived?

Or did you make a trip into town because of the email and by chance the package had already arrived?

Just trying to make sense of the story. But yes, like many here...eager for additional information.

-Kurt

Old 04-08-21, 07:35 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
The other question I would add, is how did you track the package as it was in transit? When I check the tracking of a package from Ebay, Googling the tracking number ebay provides pushes you into a google tracking page or app that acts as a middle man that you need to click through to get to the actual carrier page with tracking.
Old 04-08-21, 07:38 AM
randyjawa 

Originally Posted by nlerner
True enough but consider this. To pay that paltry amount, I would have to use either my VISA or Mastercard, thus, perhaps, allowing the scammer access to either of those accounts. That, in my opinion, is where the danger lies. Not just loosing three dollars. Additionally, even if the scammer does not access my credit card account, and succeeds in getting 1000 people to click, he or she ends up with three thousand dollars.

Be careful is all I can say about this sort of thing.
Old 04-08-21, 07:45 AM
repechage

I always forward to the spoof report sites when I receive an email regarding a problem with my bank account ( often big bank I have no connection with or Amazon )

on a phone the sent from often is truncated so that the initial word is legit, but not the extended sent from address.

it’s a dangerous world out there.
Old 04-08-21, 07:51 AM
repechage

Now the pertinent question- what bike is to receive the Campagnolo parts?

and what must Valentino felt when his name was applied to such a cheap mechanism?
no wonder Corsa Record was such as it was post Tullio.

there is an interview of him in Italian with subtitles on Amazon, from The Italian Masters series. Pretty humble guy, I came away with that he was thrusted with the helm of Campagnolo before he was really ready, having a dynamic father who was still running the show in his 80’s must not have helped.
Old 04-08-21, 07:56 AM
randyjawa 

Originally Posted by cudak888
So the email arrived just before - and on the same day - as when the package arrived?

Or did you make a trip into town because of the email and by chance the package had already arrived?

Just trying to make sense of the story. But yes, like many here...eager for additional information.

-Kurt
The package has not yet arrived. But the scamming email showed up a day before the original tracking indicated when the package was to arrive (potential arrival dates mean little during these pandemic days and delays are more than common - they are expected). It looked legit but I still follow my own procedure and do not click on anything that I think, even for a second, to be out of the ordinary.

The original tracking number, offered by the seller, was not on the scammer's email. Nor was the cross border Canada Post tracking number included on the scammer's email. With that in mind, I went to the post office in the city to check on the validity of the email and, hopefully, to collect the package.

Additional information...

I bought the Campy transmission and paid via PayPal. The seller sent me a USPS tracking number which I did click on, as I would normally do. The click revealed the package's travel situations, where sent from, sent to and how long held at any location.

USPS tracking number changed to a Canada Post tracking number when the package crossed the border between the USA and Canada. I clicked on that number and no issues. Everything seemed to be normal. I have done this before without ever receiving an email indication that I needed to pay anyone, anywhere for any reason.

A day or two, before the original tracking indicated the package was to arrive, I got the scammer's email. Red flags went up at my end. I was warned that I had 48 hours to pay or the package would be sent back. That was in the evening of the day the scammer's email arrived.

The following morning, I drove into the city to verify if the package had arrived and to pay any duties involved there. Needless to say, there was no package and the lady at the post office (I know her well) warned me that the email that I received, insisting on payment, was a scam and one that, according to her, was epidemic (not her word, but mine). Put another way, lots of people had done what I did - check before click.

The package is now slated to arrive tomorrow. I will check, in person, after I see that the original tracking number indicates arrived and on hold for me (I use a post office box for mail, because I spend half of each year riding in Jamaica - a friend collects my Canada Post mail for me during my absence).
Old 04-08-21, 08:10 AM
randyjawa 

Now the pertinent question- what bike is to receive the Campagnolo parts?

and what must Valentino felt when his name was applied to such a cheap mechanism?
no wonder Corsa Record was such as it was post Tullio.

there is an interview of him in Italian with subtitles on Amazon, from The Italian Masters series. Pretty humble guy, I came away with that he was thrusted with the helm of Campagnolo before he was really ready, having a dynamic father who was still running the show in his 80’s must not have helped.
I cannot respond to how Valentino felt nor do I consider the mechanism to be cheap (entry level, certainly, would be a fairer word to use, in my opinion). Not sure about Campagnolo's business decisions, either.

The bike the set is earmarked for is a late sixties or early seventies Torpado (the original transmission was not in great shape, thanks to Mother Nature's attack on the cosmetics). I was going to install a Campy Gran Tourismo rear derailleur but doing so would mean that I would not be able to use the original wing nuts that came on the Torpado I had restored...

If I install this derailleur, I cannot use a wing nut, something that I did not know when I bought the Gan Tourismo...

Anyway, this is my painted with a brush Torpado that the newly purchased Valentino transmission will be installed on (fender line to be set when I install my newly acquired 700c x 28 gumwall tires)...
Old 04-08-21, 08:30 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Not if the person pays by credit card. Now they have your CC information, and that $2.99 charge will swell to $2999.00 or more in an instant.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-08-21, 09:22 AM
fraba

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh Super Course - 1981 Velo Sport Criterium - c.1988 Colnago Master Piu - 1991 Merlin Road - 1991 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra - 1995 Pinarello Cromovan - c.1999 Lemond Maillot Jaune Team Saturn - 2002 Colnago C-40 - Also modern stuff

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
I just received a similar phishing email minutes ago... Please DO NOT CLICK.
Likes For fraba:
Old 04-08-21, 11:00 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
I use to see a lot of emails acting like FedEx or UPS saying they have a package that can't be delivered. Almost everyone has a package coming for them. The tip off is usually the grammar is not quite right.
Old 04-08-21, 12:07 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
I get a few texts every week alerting me that a package could not be delivered and that I should click this link. I also get phone calls from "Social Security" stating that my SSN has been suspended and that I will recieve no further payments unless I call a certain number and provide yada-yada-yada.
These crooks have access to a lot of information about us and they are fishing for the older among us who may be trusting.
I would like to create a new ring of hell for those parasites.
Old 04-08-21, 12:28 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
I get plenty of potential scam calls at work...
robo and live... we are going to shut off your electric service in 30 minutes... once even giving a toll free number to call... Sure.
that sense of Alarm, induce you to not think straight.
We got that one at my office on Tuesday. They were trying to squeeze us for $2000. Thankfully, our AP manager is not easily fooled by such shenanigans.
Old 04-08-21, 01:48 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Additional information...

I bought the Campy transmission and paid via PayPal. The seller sent me a USPS tracking number which I did click on, as I would normally do. The click revealed the package's travel situations, where sent from, sent to and how long held at any location.

USPS tracking number changed to a Canada Post tracking number when the package crossed the border between the USA and Canada. I clicked on that number and no issues. Everything seemed to be normal. I have done this before without ever receiving an email indication that I needed to pay anyone, anywhere for any reason.

A day or two, before the original tracking indicated the package was to arrive, I got the scammer's email. Red flags went up at my end. I was warned that I had 48 hours to pay or the package would be sent back. That was in the evening of the day the scammer's email arrived.

The following morning, I drove into the city to verify if the package had arrived and to pay any duties involved there. Needless to say, there was no package and the lady at the post office (I know her well) warned me that the email that I received, insisting on payment, was a scam and one that, according to her, was epidemic (not her word, but mine). Put another way, lots of people had done what I did - check before click.

The package is now slated to arrive tomorrow. I will check, in person, after I see that the original tracking number indicates arrived and on hold for me (I use a post office box for mail, because I spend half of each year riding in Jamaica - a friend collects my Canada Post mail for me during my absence).
Either it's a "hail mary" bulk attempt, or someone has figured out how to use one of the Canada Post tracking APIs to identify packages pending delivery that have emails attached to them.

Let us know if your email was tied to the shipment or not.

-Kurt

Old 04-08-21, 02:39 PM
randyjawa 

Let us know if your email was tied to the shipment or not.

-Kurt
Nothing, not even the way I write my name, was related to the order. This is what was sent to me...
Date
06/04/2021 Shipment #47-8481-425
Dear Client,

Thank you for choosing Canda post. Regarding Your Order #47-8481-425, you will have to pay additional import charges (2.99 CAD) to receive your shipment tomorrow.
Click herePlease note that if we do not receive your payment within 48 hours, your package will be returned.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
The Customer Support Team
The shipment number was not attached to either of the tracking numbers I received from USPS or Canada Post. Nor did the number on the scammer's email match my order number from PayPal. The fact that Canada Post was not correctly offered (Canada post) was the first red flag. The second was the asking for money. Warning - don't click where it says Click here.

This is a worrisome issue, in my mind. I am reluctant to order anything else from on-line sources now. But I probably will, being careful to watch what happens when/if I do. I still don't have the package.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.