Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is this C.Itoh?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What is this C.Itoh?

Old 04-08-21, 01:49 PM
okoweq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
What is this C.Itoh?

Could you help me pinpoint the model/year of this C Itoh that was discarded in my friend's garage? As far as I can tell it's early 70s but I can't tell where it falls in the lineup. It's very rusty, spent a couple winters outside, but looks salvageable and I'm going to give it a good scrub to be a beater commuter.

Old 04-08-21, 02:43 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Several have come my way, over the years. None were particularly impressive, as far as I was concerned. The one shown by the OP is, probably, the nicest one that I have seen. None of the ones I acquired sported any chrome on the frame and/or fork.
Old 04-08-21, 02:49 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,528 Times in 1,744 Posts
It certainly looks salvageable, and with the "Italian ends" one could definitely make it into a good-looking commuter.

Old 04-08-21, 03:21 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
That looks like a boom era C. Itoh Tripping (yes, that's the actual model name). It was 2nd in the line-up. Typically, these were manufactured by Bridgestone, in which case the serial number should reveal the year.
Old 04-08-21, 06:48 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 139 Posts
I'm going to guess a 1973 model, based on styling cues and parts... when the original poster comes back with a year verification from the frame serial number, we'll see how close I am.
Old 04-08-21, 07:11 PM
okoweq

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Found it below the gunk: 8253. Where do you look up serial numbers?

Originally Posted by uncle uncle
I'm going to guess a 1973 model, based on styling cues and parts... when the original poster comes back with a year verification from the frame serial number, we'll see how close I am.
Old 04-08-21, 07:18 PM
uncle uncle

Originally Posted by okoweq
Found it below the gunk: 8253. Where do you look up serial numbers?
Here...
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ber-guide.html
Old 04-09-21, 05:07 AM
T-Mar

C. Itoh of this era were typically manufactured Bridgestone, whose serial number format starts with an alpha character and has more than four characters. 8235 sounds more like a JIS Standard than a serial number.
Old 04-09-21, 10:02 AM
okoweq

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
This was below the BB, I can't find any other serial on the frame. Any particular area I should be looking at?

Originally Posted by T-Mar
C. Itoh of this era were typically manufactured Bridgestone, whose serial number format starts with an alpha character and has more than four characters. 8235 sounds more like a JIS Standard than a serial number.
Old 04-09-21, 10:50 AM
T-Mar

I guess that could be the S/N or at least part of it. It sounds incomplete. My next dating tool would be component codes. The Sugino Maxy crankset is era correct and is likely OEM. It should be old enough to be using the Japanese Imperial Calendar, so the codes should look like 4x-(x)x, where x is a number. There should be a date code on the back of each crankarm.
Old 04-09-21, 11:03 AM
degan

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts
I'd say putting as little work into it to get it serving your purposes is about the best that this bike can ask for at this point.
Old 04-09-21, 11:04 AM
okoweq

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
47-11 and 47-9 on the back of the crank arms. I haven't been able to find much on the C Itoh Tripping online (I'm impressed by your knowledge!), do you know if it has any specs of interest?

I guess that could be the S/N or at least part of it. It sounds incomplete. My next dating tool would be component codes. The Sugino Maxy crankset is era correct and is likely OEM. It should be old enough to be using the Japanese Imperial Calendar, so the codes should look like 4x-(x)x, where x is a number. There should be a date code on the back of each crankarm.
Old 04-09-21, 11:46 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by okoweq
47-11 and 47-9 on the back of the crank arms. I haven't been able to find much on the C Itoh Tripping online (I'm impressed by your knowledge!), do you know if it has any specs of interest?
OK, the crankarms are dated September and October of Showa year 47, which was 1972. That's late enough in the calendar year that it's almost certainly a 1973 model.

I'm not sure what you by "specs of interest". The Tripping was a mid-range recreational touring model. There's not too much interest in C Itoh, even the top models.
Old 04-09-21, 03:52 PM
uncle uncle

OK, the crankarms are dated September and October of Showa year 47, which was 1972. That's late enough in the calendar year that it's almost certainly a 1973 model.

I'm not sure what you by "specs of interest". The Tripping was a mid-range recreational touring model. There's not too much interest in C Itoh, even the top models.
I'M THE WINNER!!!!!! No need to send a prize, I'll grab my prize outa my own fridge, pop the top of a brewsky, and cheer myself and my obscure (some say nearly worthless) bicycle dating skills.

To the Okoweq... it's an early 70's, Japan built, probably high tensile steel, bicycle. It's a serviceable ride, with neutral steering, middle-of-entry-pack ride characteristics. There are still many parts out there, if you need them, to get it up and going, and keep it running. It's value lies in 1) getting you from here to there, and back, 2) it's easy to work on and understand, if you want to wrench on a bicycle, 3) it's not rare, or particularly special in any way, so you can do whatever to it you want, and lastly 4) it's yours. All four of those values makes it a greater commuter contender, in at least my eyes.
Old 04-09-21, 03:58 PM
okoweq

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nicely done! Thank you for your educated guess and for your comment, 1/2/3/4 is exactly what I'm looking for, especially 2 - already having some fun on the bike. Bonus: if it's not attractive, it might not get stolen during the errands. And if it does, I'll pick up another old bike to work on.

Originally Posted by uncle uncle
I'M THE WINNER!!!!!! No need to send a prize, I'll grab my prize outa my own fridge, pop the top of a brewsky, and cheer myself and my obscure (some say nearly worthless) bicycle dating skills.

To the Okoweq... it's an early 70's, Japan built, probably high tensile steel, bicycle. It's a serviceable ride, with neutral steering, middle-of-entry-pack ride characteristics. There are still many parts out there, if you need them, to get it up and going, and keep it running. It's value lies in 1) getting you from here to there, and back, 2) it's easy to work on and understand, if you want to wrench on a bicycle, 3) it's not rare, or particularly special in any way, so you can do whatever to it you want, and lastly 4) it's yours. All four of those values makes it a greater commuter contender, in at least my eyes.
Likes For okoweq:
Old 04-09-21, 04:00 PM
okoweq

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you T-Mar! Appreciate your insights