Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Roller brake cable yoke question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 10:52 AM
Lbxpdx

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 98 Posts

My bike has mafac raids and I was thinking of putting a roller yoke on vs the old style shimano yoke that it presently has. I was looking at the grand diacompe but for a few dollars more the Rene Herse ones look quite nice aesthetically. Do the brakes feel different/act better with a roller yoke?

Compass Roller
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...le-cable-yoke/
Likes For Lbxpdx:
Old 04-05-21, 12:40 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by Lbxpdx
My bike has mafac raids and I was thinking of putting a roller yoke on vs the old style shimano yoke that it presently has. I was looking at the grand diacompe but for a few dollars more the Rene Herse ones look quite nice aesthetically. Do the brakes feel different/act better with a roller yoke?

Compass Roller
https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...le-cable-yoke/
In my experience, I preferred either a conventional yoke or, even more preferably, one that can "lock" the cable wtth a set screw.I found it easier to maintain adjustment. I went a little further than that with Oddyssey Straddle Rods on my Pedersen Self Energizing brakes.
Old 04-11-21, 06:56 PM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi84
In my experience, I preferred either a conventional yoke or, even more preferably, one that can "lock" the cable wtth a set screw.I found it easier to maintain adjustment. I went a little further than that with Oddyssey Straddle Rods on my Pedersen Self Energizing brakes.

WOW that is some secure yoke alright

Old 04-12-21, 10:15 AM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
I like the way the Rh looks, but it one disadvantage for me. It is intended that the cable terminates within the yoke, which makes for a clean look, but it makes it more complicated to pull up a little cable when it is time to adjust the brake. I don't really see any operational advantages, so I am thinking about replacing the yokes that came on my RH brakes with plain vanilla Weinmann units from the parts bucket.
Old 04-12-21, 10:36 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
The rollers work best with a brake that tends to have high spring tension. I ran the Dia-compe ones on Mafac canti brakes, and they didn't creep at all. Also high straddle cables keep them in place better, like the Mafac, or the high profile Dia-compe.

My limited experience with the Compass brakes complete with rollers was not great. They would not stay centered, it's possible the yoke was too low because of the way that bike was setup.
Old 04-12-21, 12:10 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Now if you're into yokes...

Grail Straddle Cable Yokes! - Bike Forums

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-12-21, 12:40 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchi84

Are these still being produced? If not, screw you for showing off such a cool piece of unobtainable bike obscura.
Old 04-12-21, 12:50 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
Are these still being produced? If not, screw you for showing off such a cool piece of unobtainable bike obscura.
The straddle rods aren't. I got mine off of a popular auction site (be careful; they come in 2 different lengths and it's hard to tell which you need until it doesn't fit). The Pedersen Self Energizing brakes have an internal helix that increases grip as pads are pulled forward by rim when braking. They're not made either. When Sutour took over the design they made rear only (can't switch fronts and rears or I guess they de-energize) because they said fronts were too strong and dangerous .
Likes For Bianchi84:
Old 04-12-21, 04:17 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
I have used both and see/feel no difference between the two. The roller yoke does look nice but a greased standard yoke works just as well, in my opinion. Make sure that the yoke cable is without kinks or bends, and Bob's your uncle.