Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anybody else riding a Pinion drive bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-19, 01:24 AM
Magnum PI

Bikes: Landshark, Kestrel Ironman, Giant Defy, Redline 925er, Orbea team Euskatel, AMP B2, Landshark e-Tandem, and, well you get the idea.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 17 Posts

I'm a old school cyclist with too many bikes to mention, having started in 1985 with a Specialied Allez, then moved on to a bunch of different bikes, including aVitus 979, a custom Landshark, a Trek Postal Service team bike, Kestral Ironman, Orbea, a couple tandems, and finally treated myself to a Giant carbon Defy with Shimano electronic shifting. I thought I was done until I read about the Priority 600 with Pinion drive. What the heck is that? The more I read, the more I knew I was not done. So now I am the new owner of a Priority 600 and I must say, I am impressed. Gates belt drive, sealed gears, gravel tires and wheels, lights and fenders. I started commuting to work and am now thinking of touring across the US as part of impending retirement.

I know Pinion is out of Germany, and have barely scratched the surface here in the US, but I must say, the shifting and Gates belt drive system is sweet. Hope there are others out there liking this new system. Its not light, but at my age and speed, I'm trying to enjoy the journey.
Old 09-15-19, 03:06 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
I have one. (I remember you from another thread, btw). I like how the weight is concentrated around the bottom bracket rather than in the rear wheel. And my go to road ride is mostly gravel road, so those tires work out for me.
Old 09-15-19, 07:28 AM
hefeweizen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I am really interested in one too. I would like to find a gravel bike or drop bar bike.
Old 09-23-19, 11:45 AM
Magnum PI

Bikes: Landshark, Kestrel Ironman, Giant Defy, Redline 925er, Orbea team Euskatel, AMP B2, Landshark e-Tandem, and, well you get the idea.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
I have one. (I remember you from another thread, btw). I like how the weight is concentrated around the bottom bracket rather than in the rear wheel. And my go to road ride is mostly gravel road, so those tires work out for me.
Yes, a nice touch to have the weight centered at the BB. But the wheels are a bit heavy so I don't notice it as much as I expected. How do you compare it to the other Priority bike you own? I think that one has the CVT gearing? I looked at that at first being a much less expensive alternative....but kept going back to the Pinion and finally pulled the trigger.
Old 09-24-19, 05:08 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnum PI
Yes, a nice touch to have the weight centered at the BB. But the wheels are a bit heavy so I don't notice it as much as I expected. How do you compare it to the other Priority bike you own? I think that one has the CVT gearing? I looked at that at first being a much less expensive alternative....but kept going back to the Pinion and finally pulled the trigger.
Where I live the roads are not smooth and many are dirt and gravel. The 600 is better for that. The wider tires provide comfort and traction.

I'm also not in the best of shape, and the wider gearing range on the 600 helps me enjoy the climbs -- at least as much as they can be enjoyed.
Likes For JonathanGennick: