Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-21, 01:40 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
That's the least of your concerns. We've all heard stories about people who got the Cov, and I have another one. I have a friend that I have not hung out with since the Cov shutdown. He lives in our town, and I had heard he had a bad case of it. Since I hadn't heard from him in a while, I sent him a text yesterday to see how he and his wife were doing. He called a few minutes later.

Seems he not only had the Cov once, but got it a second time. First time he was in ICU for 10-11 days. I didn't get the details of the second bout. What surprised me was that he was not able to carry on a continuing conversation, and asked me the same things about three or four times in a 15 minute call. Then, after I got off the phone, his wife called to ask who he had been talking to. Seems he couldn't remember who he was talking to or even my name.

This guy has been a friend since the early '90s. We used to play golf together about every other week, and often traveled for golf trips. Until last year, we'd spend time with him and his wife at their lake house every summer since the kids were in early high school (at least 8 years straight). We had them on our boat on a regular basis. We went to Vegas with the two of them just a few years ago to see Elton John. And, yet he could not think of my name. I was shocked by the toll the two episodes took on him.
That's awful. All of the different things that can happen to you because of this are frightening - Like Dan's DVT for example.

I'm not complaining, after our Covid scare with the kids, I'd take a year of soreness if it meant a high level of protection. As an almost 41 year old healthy dude, I'm lucky I got one.

Last edited by phrantic09; 03-09-21 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-09-21, 01:41 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
It was dry enough to take the R3 out today. For as much fun as the Revolt is jumping curbs and riding in the crap, man the R3 is fast and fun.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 03-09-21, 01:50 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
SUPER-Nice!
Originally Posted by genejockey
"More cowbell!"
Thanks.

Put on 28s a few weeks ago, so the tire profile on the wheels is better. And, have it down to right at 20 pounds including pedals, cages, crank and hub sensors, and puter mount. Not too bad, I don't think, for a comfort bike hauling a old fat guy that wants to be comfortable.
Old 03-09-21, 01:53 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by phrantic09
That's awful. All of the different things that can happen to you because of this are frightening - Like Dan's DVT for example.

I'm not complaining, after our Covid scare with the kids, I'd take a year of soreness if it meant a high level of protection. As an almost 41 year old healthy dude, I'm lucky I got one.
I didn't figure you were complaining.

My 22 year old got his vaccine, but my 25 year old can't. Go figure.
Old 03-09-21, 02:04 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12767 Post(s)
Liked 7,679 Times in 4,075 Posts
Arrrghhh. The 10-packs of tubes are sold out. I might have to patch tubes soon.
Old 03-09-21, 02:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
The lavender outside my home office window has been busy this morning.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-09-21, 02:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Arrrghhh. The 10-packs of tubes are sold out. I might have to patch tubes soon.
Patch kits will be next.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-09-21, 02:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Someone commented that we may end up seeing COVID as a vascular disease with a respiratory component.

Old 03-09-21, 02:41 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 3,478 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Twice as long @ 3 times the price!
Pimp tax.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 03-09-21, 02:51 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 3,478 Posts
That's the least of your concerns. We've all heard stories about people who got the Cov, and I have another one. I have a friend that I have not hung out with since the Cov shutdown. He lives in our town, and I had heard he had a bad case of it. Since I hadn't heard from him in a while, I sent him a text yesterday to see how he and his wife were doing. He called a few minutes later.

Seems he not only had the Cov once, but got it a second time. First time he was in ICU for 10-11 days. I didn't get the details of the second bout. What surprised me was that he was not able to carry on a continuing conversation, and asked me the same things about three or four times in a 15 minute call. Then, after I got off the phone, his wife called to ask who he had been talking to. Seems he couldn't remember who he was talking to or even my name.

This guy has been a friend since the early '90s. We used to play golf together about every other week, and often traveled for golf trips. Until last year, we'd spend time with him and his wife at their lake house every summer since the kids were in early high school (at least 8 years straight). We had them on our boat on a regular basis. We went to Vegas with the two of them just a few years ago to see Elton John. And, yet he could not think of my name. I was shocked by the toll the two episodes took on him.
Sad.
Old 03-09-21, 03:36 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13711 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 2,504 Posts
"More cowbell!"
Timber MTB Bell | Competitive Cyclist
Old 03-09-21, 04:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

BTW, the cone I bought for the old RX100 hub has some flange thing on it, and lacks a groove for the two plastic sealing rings. Otherwise the same. I posted about it in the Bicycle Mechanics forum, and within 5 comments someone had found the proper cone! I even found one, which is saying something because they seem to be rare as hen's teeth - many places say "Out of stock". Repacking the hubs on the new wheels last night I discovered both front cones have some spalling. Luckily the rear cones are fine. And I have all those new bearings.

BUT, the original front wheel that came on the C'dale has one good and one bad cone. So, I figure I'll swap the axle and good cone to the new wheels, add the new cone, and get one good front wheel.

BTW, the place I found the cone is in Cupertino. I had the option of picking it up at the store, or having it shipped. Shipping was $10, for a $10 part. But Cupertino is 25 miles away. So I asked Mrs. GeneJockey - without telling her why - "How much is it worth NOT to drive to Cupertino?"

She said, "Ten dollars."

I said, "BINGO!", and paid the shipping.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-09-21, 05:20 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Woohoo, my Sora level 25mm camera lens has shipped!!! Pretty surprising that ETA is tomorrow, when it said it was in Florence, NJ this morning. And I chose the free ship method.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 03-09-21, 05:45 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

In bike news, I put some fresh sealant in the Klein today. I think I might be getting too old for setting beads with a floor pump, darn near passed out before they cracked into place.
Old 03-09-21, 05:52 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts

That syndrome is probably the result of widespread damage to small blood vessels in the brain by immune cells or other inflammatory stuff. Relatively common, very scary.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-09-21, 05:54 PM
Mojo31
-------

What's the word on Abus helmets?
Old 03-09-21, 06:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

What's the word on Abus helmets?
All I can think of are stupid jokes like, "I may be large, but I don't think I'll be mistaken for A Bus."

Old 03-09-21, 06:09 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Patch kits will be next.
They might already be gone. I'm afraid to look.

I guess I do have a tubeless wheeset out in the garage that I couldn't get the tires to air up, I think the stock tape is too thick. Keep thinking I'll remove it and put on some 8898 on there and see if I can get tyres on with that stuff, but then get distracted or something, just keep using tubes.
Old 03-09-21, 06:17 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

US 20 travel advisory: They had a little rockfall in the Wind River Canyon.

Old 03-09-21, 06:43 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8277 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Rode for a slice of pepperoni today. It was in the 50s and blustery but we had a windless table in the sun. After we finished our ice cold drinks a cloud blocked the sun and it was time to get moving again.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-09-21, 06:50 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
In bike news, I put some fresh sealant in the Klein today. I think I might be getting too old for setting beads with a floor pump, darn near passed out before they cracked into place.
I ain't got time for that ****. My Spec charge canister is only okay, but it's way better than my floor pump, which I've never successfully set beads with. I do want to replace that canister, but I'm undecided if I should get something like the Bontrager pump/charger combo or if I should just get a compressor.
Old 03-09-21, 07:15 PM
Mojo31
-------

Compressor. You can use it on your car tires, can blow dust out of things without blowing moisture in like canned air, and much more.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 03-09-21, 07:26 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Can someone explain the purpose of this thread? I don't understand the title reference.
Old 03-09-21, 07:30 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Symox
Can someone explain the purpose of this thread? I don't understand the title reference.
Nope. I’m new here.
Old 03-09-21, 07:32 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13711 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 2,504 Posts
It's a mystery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.