Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

DK200 = who's in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-19, 04:05 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
DK200 = who's in?

11 weeks to go - and a new course / SAG stops plan this year. Should be very interesting.
Old 03-13-19, 06:40 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I’m in for the 100. I’ve done the 100 for the past few years, so looking forward to a new course!
Old 03-13-19, 08:21 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I did the 200 the last time they used 2 checkpoints and a neutral water stop. It was a bad experience. The neutral water stop was a long line of racers leading to a table with empty water jugs. After 20 minutes of waiting for whomever went off to get more water, I and several others gave up and rode on without. Advice: Carry enough hydration to make the bridge from checkpoint to checkpoint -- about 85 miles or so. In 2015, that stretch was into a strong wind. It appears that this year's may be with the prevailing wind -- a good thing.

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 03-13-19 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-13-19, 07:21 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I did the 200 the last time they used 2 checkpoints and a neutral water stop. It was a bad experience. The neutral water stop was a long line of racers leading to a table with empty water jugs. After 20 minutes of waiting for whomever went off to get more water, I and several others gave up and rode on without. Advice: Carry enough hydration to make the bridge from checkpoint to checkpoint -- about 85 miles or so. In 2015, that stretch was into a strong wind. It appears that this year's may be with the prevailing wind -- a good thing.
Brutal.
Old 03-13-19, 08:16 PM
gqstud79

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in. Now if I could just get the weather to cooperate on the weekends so I could get some longer rides in, I would be very happy. It would also be nice if a dorm room would open up so I'd have a place to stay.
Old 03-14-19, 04:13 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
That's good information - I would love to be able to pass that stop but it would mean 8 bottles at my pace I think - that's getting pretty hard to manage plus the weight. i'll have to start thinking about it.

Originally Posted by gqstud79
I'm in. Now if I could just get the weather to cooperate on the weekends so I could get some longer rides in, I would be very happy. It would also be nice if a dorm room would open up so I'd have a place to stay.
yeah, the Dorms are the way to go if you can get in, they fill up fast. There are some people in town that board riders for the race, might check into that too. Did you get SAG support set up?
Old 03-14-19, 04:28 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by srode1
That's good information - I would love to be able to pass that stop but it would mean 8 bottles at my pace I think - that's getting pretty hard to manage plus the weight. i'll have to start thinking about it.
I used a 3 liter Camelbak in addition to two 24 ounce bottles. Into that wind, and with a couple miles of carrying through mud in that segment, I still ran out 10 or 15 miles before the checkpoint. With favorable wind and course conditions, it would likely have been enough for me.
Old 03-14-19, 08:05 AM
gqstud79

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, the Dorms are the way to go if you can get in, they fill up fast. There are some people in town that board riders for the race, might check into that too. Did you get SAG support set up?
Yeah, I stayed in the dorms last time and they were great. Unfortunately, I didn't get a lottery spot this year and just recently got my transfer. I called in and put my name on the wait list, but it's probably a long shot. I live about an hour away, so the worst case scenario is that I can drive down the day before and check in, drive back home and then drive back the morning of the race. My girlfriend will be handling my support - she really enjoyed doing it last time and should be an old pro this year.
Old 03-14-19, 03:34 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
That's good information - I would love to be able to pass that stop but it would mean 8 bottles at my pace I think - that's getting pretty hard to manage plus the weight. i'll have to start thinking about it.?
Neutral water stop at mile 121 is in a town this time. Presumably running out of water will be less of an issue.