Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

What tires do you all run?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 10:06 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
What tires do you all run?

I’m in the market for a fresh set of tires but can’t decide. Too many choices with pros and cons. So I would love to hear what all of you gravel grinders are running and you’re opinions on the tires. The terrain I ride is pavement to hard packed gravel and trails such as the Katy. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-17-19, 10:18 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
What's your max size for frame fork? Are you tubeless?

IMO/E for mixed terrain I always prefer slicks. Knobbies end up costing so much more energy (weight, rolling resistance) on the pavement you never get it back on the gravel/dirt sections.
Old 04-17-19, 10:33 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I'm running with the Bontrager GR1 Team Issue 120tpi, aramid bead, 700x40c that came with my Trek. I have them set up tubeless. I ride chip seal and gravel roads. I have been quite impressed with them.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-tire/p/24706/
Old 04-17-19, 10:44 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

My bike can take up to 45s according to specs. I have had 40s on the bike. I’m running Schwalbe Marathons I like the puncture protection but they are heavy and slow. Looking for a faster true gravel tire. I had WTB Nanoraptors but they are worn out. I have the touring tires on to avoid flats but I’m recovered now from foot and hand repairs so fixing a flat is no problem. I’m running tubes I am still old school and don’t want to mess with tubeless.
Old 04-17-19, 10:58 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
I have a Giant hybrid that I run Victoria Terreno Dry in a 700x40. They measure out to 42mm on a 19mm internal rim. Smooth rolling center tread with shoulder knobbys. Good all around type, not really great at any one thing but are a very well rounded tire. Rear tire worn out after 400 miles of even mix road/gravel terrain, front still holding strong at 700 miles. Run them tubeless at 35-40 psi.

Also running Schwalbe G-One 700x38 on my Diverge, they measure out to *edit 40mm* on a 21mm internal rim. I really like these tires. Great dry traction, spin easily when in mud, but very fast on the road. Treadwear is said to be poor, but only have around 300 miles on them and they're holding strong. 30 psi, tubeless, seems pretty good for a heavy rider and relatively smooth surfaces.

Last edited by Bryan C.; 04-18-19 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-18-19, 06:20 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6960 Post(s)
Liked 10,960 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
I have a Giant hybrid that I run Victoria Terreno Dry in a 700x40. They measure out to 42mm on a 19mm internal rim. Smooth rolling center tread with shoulder knobbys. Good all around type, not really great at any one thing but are a very well rounded tire. Rear tire worn out after 400 miles of even mix road/gravel terrain, front still holding strong at 700 miles. Run them tubeless at 35-40 psi.
I'm just curious: how do you know it was worn out? What was wrong with it? That seems fast.

If I got only 400 miles (2-3 weeks) out of a tire, I would never ever buy that tire again.
Old 04-18-19, 06:43 AM
PickleRick

Bikes: Felt Z4, Trek Remedy 9.8, Pivot 429SL Di2, Salsa Warbird Di2

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Maxxis Ramblers 700x40 EXO TR (came with the bike). Running tubed, but will convert to tubeless soon.
I confess that they're brand spanking new, and I only have 150 miles on them, and of that only about 30miles of riding on gravel/dirt (the rest on asphalt) but they've done really, really, well on both.
Old 04-18-19, 07:01 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
What's your max size for frame fork? Are you tubeless?

IMO/E for mixed terrain I always prefer slicks. Knobbies end up costing so much more energy (weight, rolling resistance) on the pavement you never get it back on the gravel/dirt sections.
Do you lose any kind of traction on gravel? Packed limestone? Packed dirt?

Do you do the bulk of your riding on pavement with a little gravel/dirt/limestone? Or do you do a lot of grave/dirt/limestone?

I asked abotu tires the other day and people kept saying "Get slicks!" and I was like "That's nuts!...." but I've never actually ran slicks on rail trail type surfaces so I don't actually know that's nuts. It just sounds like it is. I'm open to thoughts from your real world experience.
Old 04-18-19, 07:35 AM
Spoonrobot 

Yes, but it's not really an issue if I'm riding by myself or with a non-racing group. I just go a little slower in low-traction corners and pedal seated more on the looser stuff. Otherwise there's not much difference. The lower weight and lower rolling resistance (and perception thereof) are why I prefer slicks for mixed terrain riding. They're good enough on gravel or dirt and much better than knobbies on pavement. Especially once you get slicks in 40mm and above, they're better than one would expect compared to narrower slicks.
Old 04-18-19, 07:52 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'm just curious: how do you know it was worn out? What was wrong with it? That seems fast.

If I got only 400 miles (2-3 weeks) out of a tire, I would never ever buy that tire again.
It took about 3 months to wear it out, miles tracked by Strava. The tire when new doesn't have a lot of tread, maybe 2 - 3mm. The center of the tire was worn smooth and was replaced, I still have one new tire ready to go on when needed. The current tire seems to be doing better with wear. I have other bikes that I ride too so longevity isn't a huge deal. That being said when these tires wear out I'll try something different.
Old 04-18-19, 08:36 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Currently on Soma Shikoro 38c with tubes. About 1200 miles without issue.
Old 04-18-19, 09:14 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
Also running Schwalbe G-One 700x38 on my Diverge, they measure out to 42mm on a 21mm internal rim. I really like these tires. Great dry traction, spin easily when in mud, but very fast on the road. Treadwear is said to be poor, but only have around 300 miles on them and they're holding strong. 30 psi, tubeless, seems pretty good for a heavy rider and relatively smooth surfaces.
I agree. These are really nice rolling tires on the road and dry conditions. Very supple and fast. I saw them on your bike in the Stravas.

They are as close to slick as a tire can get without actually being slick.

I may try another pair now that I have new wheels. Gravelking SK just don't roll as nice on pavement. The G-One Allaround feel like a high-end road tire. It wears out as fast as one too.

My only concern is wet Georgia clay. We rode through some mud pits last Saturday and I skirted the edges where the tire was rolling on the side knobbies and I could have easily slid down into the water. Gravelking SK were really impressive in this situation. .

-Tim-
Old 04-18-19, 09:45 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Panaracer Comet HardPack 700x38 and only about 50 miles so far. First and only gravel tire experience so take that for what it is. Mostly rail trails, some loose gravel, a little pavement. They were cheap.
Likes For str8jakett:
Old 04-18-19, 10:35 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Look here: https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...vel-tires.html
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 04-18-19, 03:46 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I use ByWays on my 650B bike and love them--they're of course pretty highly regarded by now. On my 700c bike I have Surly Knard 41's. I'm surprised that outside of the Surly crowd more people don't consider them. I find them to be excellent all-around tires, and very good on all manner of gravel and dirt roads.
Old 04-18-19, 07:13 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
I love my Terrene Elwoods. Low rolling resistance, good cornering traction and great compliance on rocks and roots.
Old 04-18-19, 08:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Clement/Donnelly MSO 120tpi 40mm.

Fast, light, comfortable, long lasting. Tight packed tread
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-18-19, 09:17 PM
Spoonrobot 

For regular tubed riding knobby I like the Kenda Happy Medium, it has small diamond tread in the center so it rolls very well but also has aggressive side lugs so it corners great. The tubeless version appears to be much stiffer and poorly riding but the tubed versions are great.
Old 04-18-19, 09:27 PM
wheelsmcgee

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilf
Currently on Soma Shikoro 38c with tubes. About 1200 miles without issue.
curious about these...any thoughts about how they perform? I could probably fit the 700x48 version, but have never tried a tire this slick (well, besides wholly inadequate 23mm road tires). I’m thinking at low pressure they’d be great for 90% of what I’d ride, but not sure how they’d do when I need traction, like looser gravel and steeper hills.
Old 04-18-19, 09:59 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Hutchinson Overide TR. They roll remarkably well on pavement, they can handle just about any condition other than deep sand or thick mud, and they last. I got 2,800 out of the last rear, 3,000 out of the one before that, and a mind-bending 5,800 miles out of a front.

Current set have only been mounted for 6 weeks, already past 1,000 miles. I ride 'em absolutely everywhere.
Old 04-18-19, 10:35 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Thanks everyone for their input on gravel tires too many options to choose from but everyone’s opinion will be considered when I press the buy button.
Old 04-18-19, 10:40 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Hutchinson Overide TR. They roll remarkably well on pavement, they can handle just about any condition other than deep sand or thick mud, and they last. I got 2,800 out of the last rear, 3,000 out of the one before that, and a mind-bending 5,800 miles out of a front.

Current set have only been mounted for 6 weeks, already past 1,000 miles. I ride 'em absolutely everywhere.
Looking at the Hutchinson Overide TR tires I like the longevity of the tires. Never had Hutchinson tires so trying some out will be a new adventure in bicycle tires.
Old 04-18-19, 11:31 PM
CraigMBA

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper Monstercross Touring Rig, and a couple of others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can tell you what I"m NOT riding anymore:

Maxxis Ramblers 700x38. Nope. No mas.
Old 04-19-19, 06:40 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Another vote for the Hutchinson Override, especially suitable on the rear. It offers plenty of traction on any surface except wet earth. However, it's less than ideal on fast descents on very loose gravel when installed on the front, so I use a Vittoria Terreno Dry on the front unless the route is flat. Both of these tires are fast rolling and smooth riding. The Override works well on the front 99% of the time but requires extra caution on loose conditions at higher speeds. The Terreno dry provides a surplus of traction on loose gravel and would allow a more aggressive descent than the Override.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-19-19 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-19-19, 06:56 AM
tsmorr

Bikes: Rossin SLX; Miyata Team Track; Fat Chance Kicker; Austro-Daimler Inter 10; Geekhouse Mudville

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Maybe I was overly optimistic, but I just purchased my first pair of tubeless tires, ended up going with 32c Hutchinson Sectors. Riding a mix of packed dirt roads and paved, but I'll be sure to test them on some of the Class IV jeep tracks around here. I've ridden Conti Gatorskins in 28 on mixed terrain before (mostly thinking of the Ronde de Rosey, mix of paved roads and dirt paths, sometimes pretty rooty) without any issue, but we'll see. Supposed to be doing a ride at the beginning of June, hopefully it won't be wet. Will report back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.