Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Ted King on Gravel Ride Podcast

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-19, 06:20 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts

The Gravel Ride. A cycling podcast: Ted King

So... tell me all the reasons I shouldn't buy ReneHerse 700C x 44 Snoqualmie Pass tires. Because I really want to buy them now (standard, not exta light)
Old 05-15-19, 10:03 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
you should!
Likes For chas58:
Old 05-15-19, 10:32 AM
chas58

I’ll bite, and call BS.

Yeah, 650b works great for that type of riding – randonee – long distance lower power steady state. He is talking 125 miles/day (for 4 day). Fat tires are great for long rides where rolling resistance is more important than weight and aero

I use narrower lighter tire when I need to sprint and for shorter rides. Last night I was doing a 30 mile group ride that cruised at 25mph, sometimes spinning it up to the low 30s. I can’t do that on a 45mm wide tire.

But, a 50mm furious fred works for me for on longer rougher rides where rolling resistance is more important than acceleration and top end. I’ve done longer gravel rides on 60mm tires and at speeds of around 15mph (which is typical on gravel rides), and there is no drawback at those speeds. Obviously, Aero and weight are not top priorities for everyone on every ride.

So sure – if I’m doing 12-18mph, fatter is great.
Likes For chas58:
Old 05-15-19, 12:03 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I actually just listened to this podcast this morning...I think Teds point was these types of tires (wide, smooth, light) are great on gravel...good rolling resistance, and the width and low pressure makes them actually get pretty decent traction for being slick.

As far as race ability: I believe Ted was using the 700x44 snoqualmies at landrun this year, finishing 2nd.
Likes For wheelsmcgee:
Old 05-15-19, 12:31 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I'll reserve judgment until after DK. I'm not being snarky--I'm truly interested to see what his experience with them will be. The knock on Compass tires from gravel riders I've known has always been that they don't have enough protection for truly gnarly gravel. Maybe that's changed?

I'll have to listen to the podcast to hear his specific points. I generally agree that wider + low pressure is better, up to a point.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 05-15-19, 12:37 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by wheelsmcgee
As far as race ability: I believe Ted was using the 700x44 snoqualmies at landrun this year, finishing 2nd.

Ted King’s Bike for Land Run 100

In his latest video, Ted King takes us around his bike for Land Run 100 and explains why he chose the Rene Herse Snoqualmie Pass 44 mm all-road tires, rather than knobbies, for the race across the red dirt of Oklahoma.

Click on full screen mode and enjoy!

(well, I can't say he explains it too much...)
Likes For chas58:
Old 05-15-19, 01:36 PM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
I appreciate the perspective! What I'm curious about is how different can I get the bike to ride at with a swap of wheels/tires. Right now I see my bike as great for two different things. I have a set of 28's for road rides and hanging onto the group and a set of 40 Ramblers for 30/70 road/dirt riding. I'm very curious what else the bike could be or feel like. 650b is obviously a big change I can make, but first I'd like to try out another 700c tire. I'm thinking very large slicks might be something new but I have no experience running wide slicks.
Old 05-15-19, 01:41 PM
chas58

Here is the transcript if you don't want to listen. ANd if you figure out what the transcription is trying to say. Personally, I do like riding in Random Nay type events,
Hyde is the, uh, founder of the company and chief engineer. And he comes from the, uh, he's up in the Pacific northwest where they have, he does the huge random nay type of events. So you know, many, many, many, many hour events. Um, and he is really introduced the wider tire concept to me. So you know, I'm writing a often a 40 or 44 c with tire and he and his community are used to writing 50 or more, 50 more see width. And with that you can run lower pressures. You don't need as Nabi attire or any knob it off or for a huge amount of terrain. And so he is totally introduced this concept to me of running a slick, a wide slick. It really low pressure. Um, I did that at land run with, with huge success.

Last edited by chas58; 05-15-19 at 01:48 PM.
Likes For chas58:
Old 05-15-19, 01:46 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by Hmmm
I appreciate the perspective! What I'm curious about is how different can I get the bike to ride at with a swap of wheels/tires. Right now I see my bike as great for two different things. I have a set of 28's for road rides and hanging onto the group and a set of 40 Ramblers for 30/70 road/dirt riding. I'm very curious what else the bike could be or feel like. 650b is obviously a big change I can make, but first I'd like to try out another 700c tire. I'm thinking very large slicks might be something new but I have no experience running wide slicks.

I have the same tires and use them the same as you.

In addition:
I tried a 54mm Thunder burt (up front Rambler rear) and the bike road like a monster truck, like a mountain bike. I think it is the tread profile, weight, and the more squared off edge that made it feel so clumsy, burly.
I tried a 50mm Furious fred up front - it handled/rode like a road tire, slick Very different from the TB. It rode like a big rambler - light, fast, good cornering - but I could run ~10psi lower pressure, so more cush more flotation. no real downside compared to 40mm ramblers

FYI, they just introduced a 45mm rambler if you like those.
Old 05-15-19, 02:08 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Here is the transcript if you don't want to listen. ANd if you figure out what the transcription is trying to say. Personally, I do like riding in Random Nay type events,
This isn't fair because it's probably an automatically-generated transcript but I also don't need as Nabi attire!
Old 05-15-19, 02:17 PM
chas58

...then you'll be fine on slicks!!!

FYI - For Gravel, I prefer the Furious Fred rather than a slick. It is a similar tire (highish volume, ultra light, very fast, fairly fragile).

The Fred has some small knobs that alleviate the biggest problem I have with slicks – they get stuck in ruts. Side knobs will crawl out of a rut, or at least give me a little more warning when letting go.

But they are very, very nice on a gravel ride. The gravel cyclist even calls them a “cheater tire”

Last edited by chas58; 05-15-19 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-15-19, 11:22 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
The knock on Compass tires from gravel riders I've known has always been that they don't have enough protection for truly gnarly gravel. Maybe that's changed?
Compass/Rene Herse tires are spec'd to be almost as supple as possible. The lack of sidewall or puncture protection is a very deliberate choice to achieve that goal.

Lack of sidewall protection is a problem when the sidewalls of your tires are being badly exposed to the riding surface. So, I'd generally recommend against erring narrow if you're going to use tires like this.
Lack of sub-tread puncture protection is a problem if you're dealing with very sharp stabby things. In many areas, the main cause of punctures through the tread is debris left by humans, which tends to be much less of a problem on remote mountain roads than in urban areas. People in goathead country or whatever obviously have more to worry about.

I still haven't suffered an off-pavement flat on my Rat Trap Pass ELs. I do occasionally take a puncture on paved roads, but not more frequently than skinny road tires I use on other bikes.
Likes For HTupolev: