Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Cycle Computer with ability to turn off GPS

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Cycle Computer with ability to turn off GPS

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-19, 11:49 AM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by grnmasi
@tunavic

I would like to minimize battery life as I will shortly be on a week-long supported bike ride with my partner which will have very limited opportunities to recharge. Don't really need the GPS for the ride as the route is clearly marked and ride sheets provided. Between the two of our phones and two cyclecomputers, I want to minimize the number of power storage devices to take a long for recharging the units in the evening.

Also - most of the time - I don't care where I am when I am riding for training. :-)
Forgot to add -
We've been trying out an Edge 530. It has been a bit of a struggle as it seems to like to instruct us to "Make a U-turn" often even when we are on a straight road going in the right direction or keeps sending us back to the start even though we are right next to the proper road/route (we were using RWGPS downloaded .fit file). At the same time of trying to figure out what is going on with the turn-by-turn, we had to keep looking at the screen which was hard to see in the autobrightness mode during the day, as we both have presbyopia (need +2.00), although I can normally read fine in bright light) Combination of incorrect instructions by the navigation tool and lack of visibility was very frustrating. Increased the brightness to either 70 or 80%, can't recall, which helped a small bit but did not solve the problem. But with that the battery started draining really fast.

Jury is still out on whether we will keep this 530. The lack of clarity in the screen, at least for us, and the weird navigation responses made us both want to throw it int he middle of the street.
I should probably post some a new thread on if anyone else is having trouble with the screen brightness on the 530.
I'm confused.

You asked about turning off the GPS and not needing navigation features because the route is well marked and the rides sheets provided would be good enough. Then buy an Edge 530, load a course/route and use the nav and TBT and of course have a battery that drains "really fast"

The answer to your original question is, just about all cycling computers can have the GPS/Nav function disabled to prolong battery life. And the Garmin units will still communicate with ANT+ regardless of GPS on or off
Old 08-29-19, 11:57 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
We've been trying out an Edge 530. It has been a bit of a struggle as it seems to like to instruct us to "Make a U-turn" often even when we are on a straight road going in the right direction or keeps sending us back to the start even though we are right next to the proper road/route (we were using RWGPS downloaded .fit file).
I've been using RWGPS files on my Edge 830, and I also found goofy turn-by-turn directions when using the .fit format files.

When I switched to RWGPS .tcx files, the directions became much less goofy. Now the Edge almost never tells me to make a u-turn or head back to the start.

The .tcx files contain more detail than the .fit files, but they are larger.

Old 08-29-19, 05:58 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I've been using RWGPS files on my Edge 830, and I also found goofy turn-by-turn directions when using the .fit format files.

When I switched to RWGPS .tcx files, the directions became much less goofy. Now the Edge almost never tells me to make a u-turn or head back to the start.

The .tcx files contain more detail than the .fit files, but they are larger.
The newer Garmins have a very useful app called iQ. RWGPS is one of the apps and I’ve been using it a lot to generate routes and effortlessly get it on my 1030. As far as I know these are always .fit files and I’ve not seen a choice in RWGPS to change to .tcx. OTOH I’m using this a a lot to test out the 1030 on rides I don’t really need navigation but want to determine if this newer 1030 is going to be reliable (the 1st one wasn’t). So far all TBT functions are working well.