Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ballpark price for how much to repair two cracks in seat tube lug area?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-19, 03:03 AM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I am looking for a 700c aluminum frame with canti posts and found a really nice BMC frame in my size. Issue is that it has two cracks by the top of the seat post area. It appears that someone overtightened the seat tube and crack appeared .

I could get the frame for like 50 dollars. How much more to have it repaired? I wish I had pics but I don't! I mean if I could get it repaired for 100 or so and then have it powder coated for 50, I think that would be fine for a high end repaired frame.

Specifically looking for cyclocross frame for 700c with canti posts and those are impossibe to find anymore. Heck I'd even settle for a good brand hybrid flatbar frame but can't find anything like that anymore.
Old 09-08-19, 05:27 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
If it is aluminum and it has a crack, its most likely trash. The most common alloys used for bicycle frames need to be heat treated after welding.

With that said, I welded a seat tube/top tube crack on a friends 6061 aluminum MTB frame last year and he says it hasn't broken yet.
Old 09-08-19, 12:31 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Maybe just ride it and monitor the cracks. Mark the ends or stop-drill them.

First make sure the seatpost and clamp are the correct sizes.
Old 09-08-19, 07:22 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by bobotech
... really nice BMC frame .... it has two cracks by the top of the seat post area.
I'm curious how you would define a not so nice frame? Cut into pieces?

sounds like you are looking to buy that.. don't.
Old 09-09-19, 08:15 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Around here the rate for aluminum repair for that is $50.
Old 09-09-19, 12:05 PM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
I'm curious how you would define a not so nice frame? Cut into pieces?

sounds like you are looking to buy that.. don't.
I was researching the BMC brand, it appears that they are higher end bike brand. So I would surmise that the frames that they sell are probably considered pretty decent.

Are they not a good brand?
Old 09-09-19, 12:38 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by bobotech
I was researching the BMC brand, it appears that they are higher end bike brand. So I would surmise that the frames that they sell are probably considered pretty decent.

Are they not a good brand?
A BMC frame in mint condition likely is good. But the one you consider buying has cracks, which I would consider not good.

When buying new, you can go by what their typical quality is. But used is individual and this one has cracks. And who knows what other hidden damage. Like a Honda Accord typically is a good car, but one that is totalled isn't.
Old 09-09-19, 01:03 PM
AnkleWork

A BMC frame in mint condition likely is good. But the one you consider buying has cracks, which I would consider not good.

When buying new, you can go by what their typical quality is. But used is individual and this one has cracks. And who knows what other hidden damage. Like a Honda Accord typically is a good car, but one that is totalled isn't.
Perfect good/bad - black/white thinking example for this forum. "It depends" is way too subtle here.
Old 09-09-19, 01:15 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Well if that cracks completely it won't kill you so if you really want it and it is only $50 go for it. Personally I'd skip even bothering to try fixing it. Go to a autoparts store and buy a hose clamp to put it around the crack on the seat tube and call it good.
Likes For Canker:
Old 09-09-19, 01:29 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Perfect good/bad - black/white thinking example for this forum. "It depends" is way too subtle here.
If it were dents or other cosmetic issues, yes it would justify a more subtle judgment.

Cracked frame is black/white. Cracked frame is junk. Especially if OP hasn't bought it yet. Are we really discussing if buying a frame with known cracks is worth buying?
Old 09-09-19, 01:34 PM
AnkleWork

If it were dents or other cosmetic issues, yes it would justify a more subtle judgment.

Cracked frame is black/white. Cracked frame is junk. Especially if OP hasn't bought it yet. Are we really discussing if buying a frame with known cracks is worth buying?
Another good example.

Are the supposed cracks reasonably repairable? Are they more than cosmetic? Do they even exist? Black/white thinking doesn't need answers to those questions.
Old 09-09-19, 04:41 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
a picture would certainly help evaluation

Personally I don't ride frames with cracks......even steel and especially wouldn't with aluminum. I don't like the odds.....maybe if fails, maybe it does not. If it does fail, aluminum fails pretty quickly, so if you are at speed to may be an ugly crash. I have good health insurance, buy would really prefer not to use it. And depending on the aluminum type, a repair may add more overall weakness.

Old 09-10-19, 10:03 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Avoid.

Any repair would further weaken the frame and it will likely fail again, but this time it will be your problem. Keep looking and another frame will be available soon that does not have cracks in it.
Old 09-10-19, 07:28 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,492 Posts
issue/

many crack in that are due to over extended seatposts,metal fatigue.if the seller is the org. owner ask them if they tried a warranty claim.or if you do go with it try asking BMC for a crash replacement discount.

Last edited by '02 nrs; 09-10-19 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-13-19, 09:16 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Do the cracks reach to the top tube or into the welds?

If they start at the top of the seat tube and stay above where the seat tube joins the rest of the frame, just drill holes where they end, make sure you have the right diameter seat post, and sufficient seat post length so that its bottom extends well below the junction with the top tube. Aluminum is easy to drill. Any decently sharp bit that's around 1/8" will do the trick. Just make sure you hit the end of the crack with the hole you make.

In effect, bike frames already have a "crack" at the top of the seatpost with a stop crack hole so that the seat post collar can flex the frame and close it around the seat post.

If the cracks go into the weld, or below where the top of the top tube joins the seat tube, or there are more than two of them, you can probably find a better frame for what you're preparing to spend on this one.

A crack at the top of the seatpost isn't particularly dangerous. The racing bike I got when I was 16 eventually broke at the seat lug. It made a sound, and got real flexy. I had the seatpost up too high -- it wasn't inserted far enough into the frame and eventually the leverage cracked the seat tube clean in two, right at the lug below the seat tube. I rode home no problem.

Someone probably rode this bike with minimal seat post insertion, or put a seat post in that was too narrow and just kept going on the bolt, through the shattering sounds, wondering why it wasn't getting tight.
Old 09-13-19, 02:40 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Does the seat tube extend above the top tube by a good amount? If so cut the seat clamp off and buy a seat post collar for $20 or less

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...-goods/3494301

If needed you can get one that has 2 different size clamps one to the seat tube and another for the seat post