Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Centenario Coppi

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Centenario Coppi

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-19, 06:08 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I do want to set some facts straight, and then ramble.

1-This was Dave's show, work, idea, and shebang. No need to thank me, as it's a privilege to even be there. Gives me street cred with all the grownups.

2-I was just the mouthpiece for a while. While I may have "over-invited," it worked out. Very well, mainly due to David's planning.

3-My sister Kay made the Cornish pasties and browned the brats that Dave cooked. That's it. Dave cooked everything else. Kay's husband Jerry was the mule for almost everything needed, and he led us on Friday's ride and rode the 50K on Sunday. His first group ride, his first ever bike jersey, as well. He's still on cloud 9.

4-My nieces (Tatum and Natalie) she-manned the not-a-supported-ride, not-a-rest-stop that many missed in Daleyville. Seems there was a sign, and a park, but it was back a ways in the trees. They were there until 11:30 am and I missed it myself. Next time, they get a cowbell on a wind kicker. For their efforts, they get to go to Texas Roadhouse by themselves.

5-My relatives manned the not-a-supported-ride, not-a-rest-stop that served us in Blanchardville, early on because my friend Jack was worried that Allan and Pete would not get water (being so far ahead). Of course, I told him that since they were that fast, they could die of thirst for all I cared. Jack set up at 11:00 there, and when the 1st non-stop shut down at 11:30 in Daleyville, Jerry (who rode the 50K) and my sister packed it up and took it to Blanchardville. Kay and Jerry will get Brewers tickets. Jerilyn (cousin) will get something, and Jack, well, I've got a nice '59 Sports that is being restored for him.

6-The lodging I arranged was a blatant attempt to get more people to come. OK, I had other motive that cannot be discussed here, plus, anyone who ever stayed at the Dairyland long enough to chat with Mark and Virginia knows about the appeal and comfort of "the cabins," as they were once called. There will soon be a shortage of "guest houses," as people come from Chicago, like them, and buy them. Then they move in and we convert them to the Packers, curds, and Cornish pasty. Their lives begin again.

7-The event would not be the same without Dave's "people." His brother-in-law, and the guys from Chicago, many of whom have been to Bartali, the Dairyland Dare, etc. When you sit around with people like Scott (@crank_addict) and discuss the people you miss, whom you've only seen at those events, you know you made connections worth remembering. One of the high points of my trip was seeing @bibliobob, a.k.a. Bob Troy. I am so glad he's getting a chance to balance a bit more.

8-Tony's tab (drink and snack-wise) was from @ldmataya and myself. It was part of our market research to see "if these guys will drink anything." Yep. My regret it that I am so split up at Tony's between people I know from the area, and people I've invited and am glad to see, and people I want to meet, and even some I don't care a whit about. It's all good.

9-Hollandale is the kind of place you can hang two NICE C&V bikes on the back of a car and leave it until the owner gets there from a long day of hills. Not locked. The building was open, and our fear of leaving beer there was that it would soon be located (this being Wisconsin), thus exposing the bikes to people who just drank free beer. You can see how that could end up. Not stolen. Ridden. So, we didn't leave beer but we did leave the bikes, because again, it's Hollandale, and they take this kind of stuff in stride.

10-Yes, there was a Porsche club event in the area, and they drove by. There was also the Illinois Jaguar Club meeting/show in Mineral Point, same day. There was also a group of about 20 cyclists meeting in Mineral Point, over the weekend, to ride and enjoy the area. We mixed it up with them at a restaurant in New Glarus, nice people all.

So there it is. Now, there is some planning going on, early stages. Mineral Point has seen it twice (Bartali and Coppi) plus the Dairyland Dare comes through. Certain folks want a Bike 'Point, located in the town, ridden to various points from the town, and a show/dinner/etc in the town. The most important thing will be dates. You conflict with the Packers or Badgers, and that cuts down the available volunteers. But we're working on it. All because Dave said something about pain in SW Wisconsin in August, many moons ago.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 09-17-19, 06:19 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Well let me set the record straight. Rob and his family's assistance were invaluable. I only have 2 hands and the value of getting some local supplies and volunteers can't be understated. Pink and celeste silverware is cool, getting drinks to thirsty riders is essential.

Rob also downplays his generosity with his knowledge and time. He will help any vintage bike enthusiast with or without a problem at anytime. That is why he was the recipient of the Vintage Enthusiast award, because his is unparalleled. Thank you.
Likes For iab:
Old 09-17-19, 07:07 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
francophile has a copious selection of Coppi bikes. I have only one, probably earlier as it had the round side medallions on the fork. Not a toplevel model, but Campagnolo dropouts and nice Italian touches, like brass filled seat lug ears, they did things well back then.

This shows in the images like a top tier event. But it was Designed that way.
Old 09-17-19, 07:49 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
snip . . .

So there it is. Now, there is some planning going on, early stages. Mineral Point has seen it twice (Bartali and Coppi) plus the Dairyland Dare comes through. Certain folks want a Bike 'Point, located in the town, ridden to various points from the town, and a show/dinner/etc in the town. The most important thing will be dates. You conflict with the Packers or Badgers, and that cuts down the available volunteers. But we're working on it. All because Dave said something about pain in SW Wisconsin in August, many moons ago.
Really great C&V thread,

Anyone up for a whole lot of pain in SW Wisconsin in August? - Bike Forums

Got me hooked on the idea of rebuilding an old bike to ride those hills.
Old 09-17-19, 08:03 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
francophile has a copious selection of Coppi bikes. I have only one, probably earlier as it had the round side medallions on the fork. Not a toplevel model, but Campagnolo dropouts and nice Italian touches, like brass filled seat lug ears, they did things well back then. This shows in the images like a top tier event. But it was Designed that way.
Oh, those aren't mine. Just stuff I've dug up while hunting around trying to figure out what the one I got was. If I'm not mistaken, I'm the 3rd BF'er to take the frame & fork into the stable. When I finally get it buttoned up, I'll be sure to post back on one of the two original threads.

Edit: Duh. "Coppious". Man, that took way to long to hit between the ears.
Old 09-18-19, 04:48 PM
prof.gfr

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Sports, '73 Dawes Galaxy Clubman conversion, '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '87 Miyata 615gt, 1980s Miyata city bike, 80s Jack Taylor Tandem, 80s Mike Melton Touring Tandem, '94 Specialized Stumpjumper, '04 LeMond Poprad, '09 Yuba Mundo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
9-Hollandale is the kind of place you can hang two NICE C&V bikes on the back of a car and leave it until the owner gets there from a long day of hills. Not locked. The building was open, and our fear of leaving beer there was that it would soon be located (this being Wisconsin), thus exposing the bikes to people who just drank free beer. You can see how that could end up. Not stolen. Ridden. So, we didn't leave beer but we did leave the bikes, because again, it's Hollandale, and they take this kind of stuff in stride.
Hah! Those were my two bikes and I want to thank you guys for hooking them up to my car so nicely. And now I understand why you didn't also leave any beer for me and Miguel (although we really missed that beer after completing the 100k+!). It was an epic ride and we brought up the rear just as I brought up the rear of the awards with my Varsity Award for best "low end bike" with my '72 Schwinn World Voyageur. I had a flat, we got lost outside New Glarus and added about 4 miles, and my tendonitis caused me to over favor my other knee so much that I was cramping for the last 30 miles. Many thanks to Miguel for sticking with me and offering some great conversation. I gotta prepare better next time because David Beck planned a beautiful but wickedly hilly route with a couple of 18% grades. But we made it to the 100k finish line just as we saw Robbie pulling out of the Village Hall.

I'm grateful for the opportunity to hang out with so many wonderful vintage bike enthusiasts and am definitely look forward to the next ride.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 09-19-19, 12:37 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Originally Posted by 76SLT

I was the very proud recipient of the prestigious "Best Bianchi" award for my restored red 84.
Those trophies are really, really nice. @iab did an oustanding job on those..
Old 09-19-19, 05:53 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
RAI did a special on centenario Coppi.

https://www.raiplay.it/social/video/...bb06aa5d9.html
Old 09-20-19, 01:08 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)