Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to paint my fork?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How to paint my fork?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-06, 01:52 AM
blue_neon
Elite Rep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to paint my fork?

Well my fork is scratched, old, the stickers are ripped and it dosn't look too appealing and i'm wanting to paint it!

How should I go about this? What should I use to strip the old fork stickers off with? Should I under coat? What type of paint should I use?

Thanks for any help!
Old 02-16-06, 03:24 AM
lwsjss
I like trikes

Bikes: Oh let me see, Oh what was that, hmm, Specilized Vegas, Haro Shredder, Mongoose motivater, 2 home made trikes, a articulated bike, 2 pennyfarthings, 2 homemade tandems, lots of mountain bikes and racing bikes, and a pile of bikes bigger than your mum

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, what you want to do is....
1. Take the fork out of the frame.
2. Buy a can of paint stripper (around $12) and attack the paint and stickers off.
3. Make sure that every little bit of paint is off and then wash the Paint stripper off with hot soapy water.
Now theres a few ways to paint it. Spray can, spray gun, acrylic, enamel, 2 pack. Or you could get them powder coated or chromed.

Personly i would be buying whatever colour you wanted in a Dulux pressure pack, its enamel and good quality. Dont buy cheap ****.

4. spray forks, preferable in warm weather and then leave in the sun to "bake on"
5. leave the paint to dry for a good 3 days before trying to touch/ put them back in.
6. put it all back together. go and show off..

Jason.....
Old 02-16-06, 05:02 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
What is the fork material? If carbon, stay clear of paint stripper!
Old 02-16-06, 06:29 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by lwsjss
Alright, what you want to do is....
1. Take the fork out of the frame.
2. Buy a can of paint stripper (around $12) and attack the paint and stickers off.
3. Make sure that every little bit of paint is off and then wash the Paint stripper off with hot soapy water.
Now theres a few ways to paint it. Spray can, spray gun, acrylic, enamel, 2 pack. Or you could get them powder coated or chromed.

Personly i would be buying whatever colour you wanted in a Dulux pressure pack, its enamel and good quality. Dont buy cheap ****.

4. spray forks, preferable in warm weather and then leave in the sun to "bake on"
5. leave the paint to dry for a good 3 days before trying to touch/ put them back in.
6. put it all back together. go and show off..

Jason.....
Do everything Jason said except add one step. After you thorougly rinse off the paint stripper, wait a few days before painting. I used to work weekends at a body shop. The stripper actually can attack the metal. We used to let a car sit a while before priming and painting to let any residual stripper evaporate.
Old 02-16-06, 06:32 PM
blue_neon
Elite Rep

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dalai
What is the fork material? If carbon, stay clear of paint stripper!
Nah it aint carbon I dont think....its a RockShox Judy XC thats in good shape, but its scrated and worn on the outside as it is a few years old.
Old 02-16-06, 07:22 PM
veteran_youth
VELOTAKU

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remove the fork lowers and seals and plug them before painting. May have to go to your LBS to get this done but it is not worth what might happen to the fork if you attempt to paint it in one piece. Maybe this advice falls under the category of "duh!" but better safe than sorry!!!

Andrew
Old 02-16-06, 07:55 PM
wethepeople
Long haired freak.

Bikes: 2011 SE Old Man Flyer.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heh.

I painted an old Marazocchi (I dont think anybody can spell that) fork a while back. Took a belt sander to it, primered it, and painted it. All in the same night, in the dark. All I did was mask the stanctions and seals.

And it turned out really good, no drips or anything, it almost looks factory. But I dont suggest you do it my way .

"the bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."

Old 02-16-06, 08:57 PM
CBolt

Bikes: Too many

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would sand it with coarse paper then fine (like 220 and 600? cant remember)
Then wipe it off with paint thinner or acetone.
Wait a while then primer and paint.
If you want more shine, add a few clear coats.
Old 02-16-06, 11:07 PM
DonPenguino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remember! Important! No skipping! Tape off or glue/lube off the headset cone on the BB to keep it from getting painted.
Old 02-19-06, 04:55 AM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
RockShox are powder coated and you DON'T want to use stripper on them. The stripper will easily remove the powdercoat AND eat into the metal (especisally magnesium!!!)((stripper will NOT harm steel or chrome!)) Powdercoating is pretty bulletproof so all you really need to do is peel off the sticker remnants. Then clean thoroughly with wax&grease remover. (special stuff you can get at any automotive paint supply store. They will also have adhesive remover. This is VERY HANDY stuff to have on hand. Cleans price-tag glue off of anything)
SAND with 400-600 grit wet/dry sandpaper.
MASK whatever you DON'T want paint on/in, using QUALITY tape (usually blue or green 14 day tape. $4-$6 roll vs. $.99 for tan!)
CLEAN again with wax/grease remover. (now don't TOUCH IT with bare fingers! LATEX GLOVES!!)
PRIMER using anything from Krylon to epoxy. (don't use laquer, anything but laquer!)
PAINT with compatable colors.
CLEAR so when you clean the bike you don't take the color off.
E ME if you wan to know more.
Ciao,
Dr.D

Old 02-19-06, 08:04 AM
russiankdi

Bikes: many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a good tip with paint thinner or stripper, getit on a paper towel, whip a good coat of it onto the paint, and let it sit for about a minute, then start rubbing with the towel that has the thinnger or stripper, it will come off alot easier