Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The Annual "Put My Bike Away for Winter" Thread

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-18, 06:58 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
Don't know the English word, we call it 'ijzel', it's light rain that freezes up as soon as it hits the ground and leaves a thin blanket of ice on the street that it so smooth an ice skater loves it.
I love a rain like that, because then I can get out and really enjoy the studded tires. Normally the studs are extra rolling resistance, but on smooth ice they are a delight.
Old 11-05-18, 07:09 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Just slowly starting to give my bike a pre-winter overhaul, so that it rides smooth and well during the cold session: wheel brings, remove dirt and grime from the drivetrain, redo rust prevention measures, get lights and fenders back into prefect condition.
GF just finished some hand-knit lobster gloves for me yesterday
Old 11-05-18, 07:29 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I'm still riding my three-season bike, but it won't be long now before that gets put away for the season and out comes the winter bike with longer fenders, wider and/or studded tires. I'm not looking forward to it, but it'll give me a chance to clean the other bike.
Old 11-05-18, 07:41 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I'm not done with 2018 until midnight Dec 31st. It's drier and slightly warmer here in Colorado Springs than where you are, with less traffic. Before I bought studded snow tires I had more "treadmill" days indoors, but I never really have had a no-biking season since moving here 26 years ago.
Old 11-05-18, 07:41 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Don't know the English word, we call it 'ijzel', it's light rain that freezes up as soon as it hits the ground and leaves a thin blanket of ice on the street that it so smooth an ice skater loves it. It doesn't even happen every winter but when it does, falling is an option for everybody.

It can be all over al lot of streets and most people will stay home until it's salted and the skaters will skate on the roads, but often it's just a bit slippery and there are just a few patches that are extremely slippery.

Often it's visible by it's shine, sometimes people stay there to warn or leave a mark but not always and it can be there or disappear/ get less slippery in a matter of minutes.
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
I love a rain like that, because then I can get out and really enjoy the studded tires. Normally the studs are extra rolling resistance, but on smooth ice they are a delight.
Studded tires IMO are best on so-called "black ice," or hardpack snow, but, just a couple minutes ago I posted to another thread, "Rolling resistance and weight vs puncture resistance"
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I ride studded tires all winter from December to March, nearly entirely on bare, wet, and/or salted pavement.

My first pair lasted several seasons, and may be still useable…

I really like the Schwalbe tires because I don't seem to feel the increased rolling resistance many claim for more aggressively treaded studded tires.
Old 11-05-18, 09:00 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5998 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Yes, but in the evening or the next day the ice is probably gone through a change of weather or salt is sprayed, or it's gotten worse and everybody stays home. Changing the tyres would make sense if there's snow and ice for a longer period of time, but it can always change suddenly here. Having a full chaincase, because of that weather, doesn't make changing the tyres any easier.
Old 11-05-18, 09:08 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,466 Times in 1,434 Posts
@Stadjer, we call that freezing rain. Luckily we don't often get it in the NYC area. I understand Ohio gets it often.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-05-18, 09:20 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Kudos to all of you in cold cities and towns who ride to work through the winter. For me, here on Long Island, NY USA, the roads are too dark, slippery, and lightly cycled during the late fall and winter months to provide a safe commuting experience

So are you done for 2018?
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
We get about 300 days a year of fair weather here. The 65 others fairly overlap with the holidays, and I ride about three days a week, so the number of wet commutes is slim. …
...I was not planning to reply to another [frequent and] seemingly inane thread about winter cycling...
, but I just did.
(from a now-closed thread)I think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before.

In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine

I’m not especially motivated to read or write about rides in areas I will never visit, or bikes I would not buy.
Other cyclists’ biking stories are often meaningful to me, but usually not consequential enough for a reply. Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.
I think these lame winter cycling threads really “jump the shark,” when the California and Florida cyclists chime in.

FYA, there is a current thread on the Winter Cycling Forum, “Emergency Winter Cycling Kit?,” and I quote such stalwarts as @mcours2006 of Toronto, @PaulRivers of Minneapolis, @rumrunn6 of Boston, and @dabac of somewhere.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-05-18 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-05-18, 09:30 AM
JonathanGennick 

Yes, but in the evening or the next day the ice is probably gone through a change of weather or salt is sprayed, or it's gotten worse and everybody stays home. Changing the tyres would make sense if there's snow and ice for a longer period of time, but it can always change suddenly here. Having a full chaincase, because of that weather, doesn't make changing the tyres any easier.
I leave my studs on all winter. It's just that I enjoy them more when there is smooth ice to ride on. I'll actually veer into icy patches on purpose when I'm out riding.
Old 11-05-18, 09:36 AM
Stadjer

Originally Posted by noglider
@Stadjer, we call that freezing rain. Luckily we don't often get it in the NYC area. I understand Ohio gets it often.
Yes, appearantly is quite specific to certain weather conditions, which does not help with trainslation. With things that are about the same everywhere like rain you get clear 1 on 1 translations, now I wasn't sure wether it was black ice, freezing rain, glaze ice or something else. I'm not much an ice skater myself, but you can see at 1.40 it's smooth enough:

I leave my studs on all winter. It's just that I enjoy them more when there is smooth ice to ride on. I'll actually veer into icy patches on purpose when I'm out riding.
That wouldn't work for me, it's not even certain ter will be snow or ice at all, and if there is it's usually a few days and maybe another few days in a couple of months.

Last edited by Stadjer; 11-05-18 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-05-18, 09:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

That video is amazing. Now I remember stories of ice skating in the Netherlands I read when I was a kid. You seem to get a lot of ice. I have never seen anyone skating in the street or on the sidewalk. The video suggests it is fairly common there. Here, people only skate at rinks. In the north, they skate on lakes and rivers, but some places that used to be safe are no longer safe because of climate change.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-05-18, 09:55 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 467 Times in 192 Posts
Put me down for the Schwalbe studded winter tires. Excellent on ice and reasonable amounts of snow. Last winter here on the north shore of Lake Ontario was indeed brutal. Last I heard, the forecast for this one looks better. Yesterday was sunny and nice and I took the Voyageur out for what is likely the last time before April and I'm sure I will miss it. This weekend I'll do the pre-winter workup maintenance on the Norco, and then in a few weeks the studded tires will go on for full winter mode. It works out well for inclement weather as a cheap commuter with disc brakes - though a bit heavy. I've going to switch out the old pedals for my new V12 platforms which should work very well with my hiking boots on the winter commute. All I want for Christmas is a Brooks B17 Imperial to go with it. The Voyageur is spoiled with one but I'm very tired of the standard cheapo saddle on the Norco.

As for the winter commute ride, the primary concern is distracted drivers as per usual. My commute is along side streets with a few short sections of main arterial route along a painted bike lane. The city has launched a pilot project to snowplow the bike lanes this winter (yay) which means I'll be able to keep to my route. There are a few sections where I'll have to be extra vigilant due to the aforementioned iced / fogged car windows and sleepy drivers. Honestly I'm not looking forward to it as much as I once did, despite the positive feeling I get from the ride. If folks would just slow down...
Old 11-05-18, 10:19 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
The roads here are dark at night, lightly cycled any time of the year, but I'll keep on riding until/unless we get snow or ice.

I'm actually glad for the end of DST. It gives me another hour of light for the morning commute. In the evenings I prefer it to be dark than getting dark; the glare of the setting sun worries me (I'm not sure I'm visible to the driver fighting to see the road without getting blinded), and I frankly thing I'm more conspicuous at night. I've got 2-4 rear lights, and 1-3 front lights, and people who would otherwise not see me or think, "I can pull out in front of that bicyclist" see the lights coming and wait for me.
Old 11-05-18, 10:21 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Maryland drivers

Old 11-05-18, 10:22 AM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I'm still riding my three-season bike, but it won't be long now before that gets put away for the season and out comes the winter bike with longer fenders, wider and/or studded tires. I'm not looking forward to it, but it'll give me a chance to clean the other bike.
Right something I didn't consider when going the 'one-bike-can-do-it-all' route for commuting: it has to be fully assembled again by the end of a maintenance session. Having spare bikes makes this much easier...
Old 11-05-18, 10:48 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Jim From Boston & Others,

I do realize this topic has been beaten to death over the years, but in this world where so few people really communicate with each other anymore, I consider any thread that gets people talking a success.

Sure, it's going to be another endless succession of people bragging about how they ride all winter, and sure, there are going to be some who sound critical of those of us who don't. But yin and yang makes the world go round.
Old 11-05-18, 11:21 AM
NiGoCo

Bikes: Couple junkers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in a good location to ride all year. Even with the time change it's still dark my entire commute in and still daylight on my way home.
Old 11-05-18, 11:55 AM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I leave my studs on all winter. It's just that I enjoy them more when there is smooth ice to ride on.
Of course, it’s more fun if you can ride as long as possible — without having to stop.
A smooth surface helps. But sometimes snow/ice can hinder your progress. And then there is crazy traffic :-/

Last edited by Bikewolf; 11-06-18 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-05-18, 11:56 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Not yet, I ride until it gets to be too slippery outside. Then I'm done until spring.
Old 11-05-18, 12:07 PM
Stadjer

Originally Posted by noglider
That video is amazing. Now I remember stories of ice skating in the Netherlands I read when I was a kid. You seem to get a lot of ice. I have never seen anyone skating in the street or on the sidewalk. The video suggests it is fairly common there. Here, people only skate at rinks. In the north, they skate on lakes and rivers, but some places that used to be safe are no longer safe because of climate change.
There's a lot of water so if it freezes hard for a while there's suddenly a great outdoors to enjoy with canals, lakes, ditches and ponds, often connected. But it's always an 'if' so when it freezes the people feel they have to take the opportunity and there's a skating fever in the country. Sensible people, often over 50, who go out on very thin ice because it might be gone tomorrow and they'll have to wait for years maybe, they've fell through a few times in their life. After the ice has thickened safely, everybody who can skate will skate, most of them never go to a rink allthough that's relatively popular too, but natural ice has a different appeal, people love the sound of the ice (cracking), the low sun's light, the wind and the blush that is said to be unique to skating. It's like track cycling vs recreational cycling, just a few rounds on a small lake in the woods, on a close by canal but also young parents doing a 30 km tour pushing a baby stroller. It's safe because it's crowded, not like the huge lakes with only a few skaters like in Scandinavia or the US where you have to drive to. On top of that there is "11-city tour-fever", it's a traditional 200 km event that needs more than a couple of weeks of hard freezing and can only be finished by the good skaters who are tough and in good shape. It will probably never happen again through global warming, but after a week of very low temperatures everybody gets their hopes up and it's in the headlines everyday. The last one was in '97. It's seasonal madness.

So when the streets freeze up smoothly, they have to take the opportunity too because the canals and lakes might not freeze up at all. It's not as enjoyable as 'real' ice but at least the fanatics didn't miss an opportunity to skate that year. Come to think of it, cycling on ice is much easier than cycling on frozen rain, it's a bit less slippery, the surface is more predictable and there's no canter.
Old 11-05-18, 12:10 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Fun stuff, @Stadjer. Thanks for the descriptions!

Old 11-05-18, 01:22 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Threads like this make me appreciate being able to ride year-round. A dozen or so 110+ F summer days is a small price for an entire winter's riding season.
Old 11-05-18, 03:29 PM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Threads like this make me appreciate being able to ride year-round. Several dozen days of riding on studded tires is a small price for never having to ride in triple digit heat.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 11-05-18 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-05-18, 03:45 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Temperate rain forest lands with Pacific Ocean Current off shore , is Goldilocks..

Neither too hot, nor too cold. but for a couple days ..
80s in summer is hot , here but not for long

under 0C is rare, and short term.. too ..

I have an old MTB with Studded tires , for the days when it's icy...

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-05-18 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-05-18, 04:37 PM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I do realize this topic has been beaten to death over the years, but in this world where so few people really communicate with each other anymore, I consider any thread that gets people talking a success.
It's a good topic though, and it's interesting to learn about conditions elsewhere on the planet. The variation in what "winter cycling" means is pretty amazing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.