Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Clipless pedals or not?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Clipless pedals or not?

Old 11-30-18, 11:05 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I believe more energy was lost in the automatic because of slippage and complexity, and also the shift points were not always optimized for fuel efficiency. I'm under the impression that computerization has pretty much solved these problems. Humans can no longer shift as intelligently as the new automatics. At least that's what I've heard. Not only that, automatics used to have fewer gears than manuals, and that's not true any more, either. I rented a Kia Soul with a 7-speed automatic.
Its trucks that's the most surprising. For years they lagged behind cars stuck at 3-speeds, but now are just the opposite. The new Ford F-150 has a 10-speed automatic transmission.
Old 11-30-18, 11:18 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
It's a mixed bag over here. On the very weakest engines, the auto (DSG) is much better. Otherwise, it's pretty even.

Also, why would anyone way to drive anything other than a VW Golf anyway
Old 11-30-18, 11:19 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I believe more energy was lost in the automatic because of slippage and complexity, and also the shift points were not always optimized for fuel efficiency. I'm under the impression that computerization has pretty much solved these problems. Humans can no longer shift as intelligently as the new automatics. At least that's what I've heard. Not only that, automatics used to have fewer gears than manuals, and that's not true any more, either. I rented a Kia Soul with a 7-speed automatic.
FuelEconomy.org lists out mpg's.

2018 Honda Civic
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=39568
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=39567

Automatic / Manual
36 / 35 mpg (combined)
32 / 31 mpg (city)
42 / 42 mpg (highway)

Like you were saying...the automatic is rated 1mpg better than the manual transmission...

Last edited by PaulRivers; 11-30-18 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-30-18, 12:14 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
FuelEconomy.org lists out mpg's.

2018 Honda Civic
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...n=sbs&id=39568
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...n=sbs&id=39567

Automatic / Manual
36 / 35 mpg (combined)
32 / 31 mpg (city)
42 / 42 mpg (highway)

Like you were saying...the automatic is rated 1mpg better than the manual transmission...
And what is the margin of error on the measurements? One mpg might be significant or it might not be. Given that the listed fuel economy is often inaccurate, I’d say that 1 mpg is within the margin of error. In essence, you can’t say that one is better than the other.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-30-18, 12:26 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

And what is the margin of error on the measurements? One mpg might be significant or it might not be. Given that the listed fuel economy is often inaccurate, I’d say that 1 mpg is within the margin of error. In essence, you can’t say that one is better than the other.
I agree. At least in the German documentation it is a range (a confidence interval even!)
Old 11-30-18, 12:28 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Right. Whereas in the past, automatics were significantly worse.
Old 11-30-18, 01:23 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I don't ride clipless, but how I mount the bicycle has changed as I had switched to riding on the left hand side in the UK. I now swing my right leg over. In the US/UK/GER/DK/SE I would always swing my left leg over.

Also, I need to support myself on the curb in the city at stop lights, which is a pain in the ass with clipless in the winter or on the footrest at lights. When cycling around CPH last time, I've noticed that I've lost some right leg dexterity as much left leg has done this for the last 5 years (since moving to the UK).

nice heels @acidfast7 i love how they match your capris
Old 11-30-18, 02:37 PM
PaulRivers

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Right. Whereas in the past, automatics were significantly worse.
Oldest cars I could find on fueleconomy.org were 1984. Looked up 1984 Honda Civic.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=26573
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=26574
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=26572

Automatic (highest mpg listed) / Manual (same 1.5L engine) / Manual (highest mpg listed 1.3L engine)

Combined Mpg: 27 mpg / 30 mpg / 41 mpg

Probably a bigger gap if you could go back further in time. It's different today though.
Old 11-30-18, 03:59 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
When the thermometer dips below 20F, I switch from a mountain bike shoe with a neoprene cover and aerogel footbed to clipless winter biking boots. I have Lake MXZ 303 boots, my coworker has 45NRTH. Aerogel footbeds come pretty much standard with this gear class.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. The thing is that there is no way that I'm going to spring for $200+ boots with cleats, when my $40 insulated winter boots with Zefal half clips work great.
Old 11-30-18, 04:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
nice heels @acidfast7 i love how they match your capris
Silly, can't you see that's not his bike!?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-30-18, 04:25 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
This may have been discussed many, many times on this forum before, but based on the number of responses in such a short time, it sure is still a hot topic among cyclists!

Strictly speaking about bicycle commuting, my response is "not." I don't use clipless pedals for any type of riding, but I can see where some long-distance cyclists might like them for pounding away at the road and/or hill-climbing. For the type of stop-and-go involved in my personal commute, I sooooo much prefer simple platforms. My reasons are the same as those already provided by others.
Old 11-30-18, 04:43 PM
billyjoe44

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have combo pedals but mostly just commute with the flats since my work is only 15 minutes away
Old 11-30-18, 05:15 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. The thing is that there is no way that I'm going to spring for $200+ boots with cleats, when my $40 insulated winter boots with Zefal half clips work great.
Yeah, that is the problem with the specialized winter gear = $$$. Santa Babe got me my toasty winter biking boots. I love Santa Babe.
Old 12-01-18, 08:04 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
Yeah, that is the problem with the specialized winter gear = $$$. Santa Babe got me my toasty winter biking boots. I love Santa Babe.
I'll hold out for permission to buy a new Tacoma
Old 12-03-18, 02:49 PM
Mainiac

Bikes: Fuji Allegro, Miele Mountain Bike, Trek Domane AL 2

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went to clipless pedals as my right heel tends to work its way inward while I ride. After ruining my last pair of cycling shoes against the crank, I went to clipless and adjusted them so my foot tends to be straight, not heel slightly in. No knee or leg pain after long rides, and no hitting my heel against the bicycle. Clipless solved the problem.
Old 12-03-18, 03:29 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Just threaded these beauties onto my main commuter/touring bike. 'Nuff said.

Old 12-03-18, 09:04 PM
BobbyMo

Bikes: Specialized AWOL

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride in NYC and dont have a car anymore. Like some others, I use dual platform/SPD mountain bike pedals and think they are great. I ride clipped in 95% of the time. But on rare occasion, I can ride in regular shoes when needed including boots in the winter. I keep a pair of shoes at work so I don't have to carry a pair around. WIth the SPDs you can walk almost anywhere, regardless. Since my office is carpeted; sometime I forget I have the SPDs on and wear them around the office. I have a few pairs of SPD shoes including sandals.
Old 12-03-18, 11:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyMo
I ride in NYC and dont have a car anymore. Like some others, I use dual platform/SPD mountain bike pedals and think they are great. I ride clipped in 95% of the time. But on rare occasion, I can ride in regular shoes when needed including boots in the winter. I keep a pair of shoes at work so I don't have to carry a pair around. WIth the SPDs you can walk almost anywhere, regardless. Since my office is carpeted; sometime I forget I have the SPDs on and wear them around the office. I have a few pairs of SPD shoes including sandals.
Wow, I thought you were quoting me, because that's exactly what I would say, all of it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-04-18, 08:42 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
^ with the exception of the " i ride in NYC and don't have a car anymore" part, BobbyMo's post is exactly what i would say as well.

i love the versatility of combo pedals. i can have my cake and eat it too!
Old 12-04-18, 09:21 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Steely Dan
^ with the exception of the " i ride in NYC and don't have a car anymore" part, BobbyMo's post is exactly what i would say as well.

i love the versatility of combo pedals. i can have my cake and eat it too!
The cake is a lie!
Old 12-04-18, 09:24 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I'm right-handed, kick with my left foot, and always, always unclip the right foot when coming to a stop. Unclipping the left feels genuinely unnatural... to me. I've tried starting off with the right foot clipped in, and it's as if I've forgotten how to ride a bicycle.

That said, most people I see unclip the left foot at a stop. Which is weird to me here in the land of driving-on-the-right. With my right foot unclipped I can stand on the curb and stay in the saddle at stoplights.
Same here. Then I broke my right ankle. In retrospect, I should have learned to unclip equivalently from either side. Now I have to twist my right ankle inward toward the bike to unclip.
Old 12-04-18, 09:25 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
The cake is a lie!
well, if it's a lie, it sure is a delicious lie.

Old 12-04-18, 10:51 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Old 12-07-18, 04:11 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I'm right-handed, kick with my left foot, and always, always unclip the right foot when coming to a stop. Unclipping the left feels genuinely unnatural... to me. I've tried starting off with the right foot clipped in, and it's as if I've forgotten how to ride a bicycle.

That said, most people I see unclip the left foot at a stop. Which is weird to me here in the land of driving-on-the-right. With my right foot unclipped I can stand on the curb and stay in the saddle at stoplights.
I'm right-handed, only started riding regularly this year and unclipping came naturally for my left foot but is still weird for my right.

There's almost no time I'm ever going to be up next to a curb so it's interesting that you bring up a potential benefit of unclipping the right foot. Here, either the intersection is going to have a place for the bike to trigger the traffic sensor a few feet away from the curb, or it's going to be a right turn only lane and no way am I stopping there, or I'm taking the lane to not be squashed by a right hook.
Old 12-08-18, 08:26 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
I'm right-handed, only started riding regularly this year and unclipping came naturally for my LEFT foot but is still weird for my right.

There's almost no time I'm ever going to be up next to a curb so it's interesting that you bring up a potential benefit of unclipping the right foot. Here, either the intersection is going to have a place for the bike to trigger the traffic sensor a few feet away from the curb, or it's going to be a right turn only lane and no way am I stopping there, or I'm taking the lane to not be squashed by a right hook.
I'm strongly right-handed, and earlier on this thread I posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
On further reading, I noted the right vs left unclipping discussion. We have plenty of curbs and I unclip RIGHT. In fact, when I'm on the left side of the road, left foot unclipping seems awkward.

I first to thought about it when I started riding with a regular companion, and he always unclipped left.
Under those circumstances described by @surak, I'm always cognizant and anticipatory and I would defer to any car that attempted it. A rearview mirror is essential to such observation.

I like the brief respite at a stoplight to rest my right foot unclipped on the curb.

BTW, in the first year of clipless, I had about four falls when stopped (only), so I follow this rule: "Unclip (right) even if you just think about stopping."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.