Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I want other people to enjoy cycling.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I want other people to enjoy cycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-18, 04:11 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
… Cyclists share an interest in the bike. Cyclists want others to enjoy biking. It’s that simple. Cutting any other cyclist or group of cyclists down publicly in an open discussion forum is detrimental to that…

Edit: I’d add that if one does indeed enjoy cycling and wanted others to also enjoy it, it’s not hard to take the attitude of thinking of everybody as a potential future cyclist. It’s maybe a bit of a delusion, but a harmless one. Maybe a helpful one.
Originally Posted by no motor?
...and now commuting for me is usually a way to get somewhere combined with a desire to get there safely. I've learned about both commuting and safety over the years - enough so the decision these days is which stuff do I wear/bring for the trips.

But I really don't think about encouraging others to do the same, and usually figure people think things like "that poor guy" and "he sure is visible" when they see me
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I would like to see more people cycling, sure, and if they do it because they enjoy it, well, that's great. Enjoyment has little do with it.
Originally Posted by alan s
95% of my commute is on MUPs and bike lanes. I hope fewer people ride bikes. That’s my perspective based on where I live and ride. Winter used to be relatively free of cyclists, but even that is changing.

Why would anyone want more cyclists or even care how anyone gets to work? Cram more sardines on public transportation, and leave the MUPs for hardcore cyclists
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I definitely encourage people to ride. I wouldn't mind if there was more bike traffic in my locale. If it gets too congested, then I will slow down a bit. But I think that getting one car off the road and replacing it with a bike is still a net benefit for other cyclists...

I don't try to sugar coat the truth about things like traffic, terrain, and weather. Cycling will always be more physical than driving, even with an electric motor. There's also this thing called winter.

But I try to reassure people that they probably don't need a new bike if they already have one, and that any bike can be used for just getting around.
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I'm usually pretty encouraging about it when some asks me, because I'd like people to enjoy the same benefits that I get out of it. In that sense I'd like to see more cyclists, just for their own benefit.

Once I'm off the Greenway I might see another road cyclist every 50 commutes. A few more on the sidewalks. If I think about it at all, it's usually along the lines of "all these drivers and most can't even imagine what they're missing".

But I don't try to talk people into it. That would be pointless; most people just don't get it
While I'm glad to see any and all cyclists I have previously posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Frankly, I have posted that I would not be inclined to encourage, unless by example (nor discourage) someone to cycle-commute, but if they so chose, I would freely and gladly give any advice...

Public exhortations to cycle-commute, or utility cycle are well and good with no individual responsibility for bad outcomes, but I would not want the recriminations of a personal endorsement if something bad happened.

Also, with regards to “recreational cycling,” actual organizing, promoting, or similar, may entail IMO a liability beyond a personal guilt trip if something goes wrong….

FWW, I’m not advocatin’ against, just sayin’
Old 12-03-18, 04:13 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I see coyotes often, and they usually want nothing to do with me. Saw one this morning cross a busy intersection in the dark! Had me worried for him/her. I was surprised and glad that he made it across safely.
I saw a couple when I was driving home a few years ago. It was a dark snowy night, and they trotted in front of my car while they were heading up the railroad tracks. They looked pretty used to being around humans, but they just popped into view and then out again as their fur helped them blend in with the surroundings.
Old 12-03-18, 04:26 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
OP, so ride your bike. Enjoy, or not. Trying to convince everyone ( on the internet) it's fabo? Best of luck with that. Some of even my bike friends don't get my bikepacking trips. And the non bikers? Unfathomable for them. I just tell my tales and move on.
Old 12-03-18, 05:26 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
The lesson here is : Don't wear flamboyant spandex costumes in the woods...That bear probably thinks that cyclists is a fish.
Old 12-03-18, 05:58 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I've heard coyotes in the wild, but I still haven't seen one yet. I hope I do soon. I hear them outside our weekend home in upstate New York.
The expansion of their range and explosion of their population over the last 50 years is pretty astounding. Coyotes were largely an animal of the southwest, with only isolated populations east of the mississippi. They were not common wildlife in NY when I was a child.
Old 12-03-18, 07:11 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,471 Times in 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
The expansion of their range and explosion of their population over the last 50 years is pretty astounding. Coyotes were largely an animal of the southwest, with only isolated populations east of the mississippi. They were not common wildlife in NY when I was a child.
Where did you grow up? I gather that the eastern coyote interbred with the wolf and what we now have are so-called coywolves and that they're big. Whatever they are, I want to meet one.

We have a gray fox who lives near or under our barn. I've seen him three times. He's very skittish.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-03-18, 07:44 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
We have red fox around here. Coyotes as well, but they're more secretive. This little guy was catching some sun a few years ago in my backyard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0086.jpg (922.5 KB, 167 views)
Old 12-03-18, 07:57 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
We have red fox around here. Coyotes as well, but they're more secretive. This little guy was catching some sun a few years ago in my backyard.
Awww...
Old 12-03-18, 08:17 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Where did you grow up? I gather that the eastern coyote interbred with the wolf and what we now have are so-called coywolves and that they're big. Whatever they are, I want to meet one.

We have a gray fox who lives near or under our barn. I've seen him three times. He's very skittish.
I grew up in Rochester and also spent a lot of time in a then rural area of the capital district. What was once a farm is now a housing development, but even with greater human habitation there are now coyotes there.

We have red foxes in the Fl panhandle and they frequently feed on any cat food the outdoor cats don't finish. They get along fine with cats. Coyotes are another matter.
Old 12-03-18, 09:11 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
OP, so ride your bike. Enjoy, or not. Trying to convince everyone ( on the internet) it's fabo? Best of luck with that. Some of even my bike friends don't get my bikepacking trips. And the non bikers? Unfathomable for them. I just tell my tales and move on.
Im not sure where you got the idea that I’m trying to convince everybody on the Internet of anything. I do enjoy riding my bike. If I didn’t enjoy it, I wouldn’t do it. I’m not sure why anybody who had a choice would continue to do it if they didn’t like it. Presumably most BF members have a choice. Probably everybody who has replied
to this thread so far does.
Old 12-03-18, 09:45 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I, too, want more people to enjoy bike riding. Results in Toronto have shown that when protected bike lanes are installed, ridership on that street goes up. Criticize what you want about protected bike lanes but those are for people who really do want to ride but are too afraid of car traffic to do so. For the rest of us, we are ok in mixed traffic.

Some drivers criticize bike lanes because they cater to only 5% of the population. No more than that. They cater to the 5% who are already riding. They cater to another 5% who were afraid to ride without them. And they cater to the 5% of motorists who don't want bicycles in front of them.

So, install more bike lanes and enjoy the ride.
Old 12-03-18, 09:51 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Riding a bike IS a good activity. It’s stimulating and engaging. It’s good exercise. Working on bikes, collecting them, restoring them, racing them - all good activities.
I don’t preach to people about living car free or cyclocommuting. I don’t preach to people about anything. But I will put in a good word for the bike whenever I get a chance. What anybody does with it is their choice.
I DO want more people to ride bikes, whether that means commuting, riding the greenway, riding the trails, or whatever. It’s a good activity. Most people around here wake up, hop in the car to go to work, sit all day, drive the car home, and then sit inside all evening. Riding a bike is an easy way to get outdoors, get a little exercise, build a little skill. If anybody likes it a lot, sure, I’ll tell them whatever they want to know about cyclocommuting or living car free. But I don’t try to talk anybody into it. And I don’t count myself as some sort of elite or hardcore cyclist because I do live without a car and ride my bike 2+ hours a day. I do it because I like it and it’s good for me. I don’t like it every day, but on the whole I still enjoy it a lot.
I only want for others to be able to have the good things that I have, whether anything bike related is involved or not. It’s called sharing, and it doesn’t make me less sharing the more time I spend on the bike. I understand that’s not the case for everybody. I understand it even better after posting this thread.
Not everybody likes to share. Maybe not everybody has the capacity. I dunno.
It’s not surprising to me that people cut one another down. It’s not surprising to me that people disparage entire groups of other people. Humans have been perfecting hate and fear and narcissism and envy and all that good stuff for thousands of years and a bike ain’t gonna undue that. There’s no cyclo-salvation to be had. I guess for me, the bike - whether riding it or working on it or whatever - it’s one more thing that I can say I have in common with another human who also does. But I tend to look for similarities between myself and other humans over and above differences. I don’t understand how people have positive relationships with other humans by focusing on differences or things they don’t understand. And as I said earlier, I doubt that they do have positive relationships, and so I count myself lucky that I do for whatever reason.
Old 12-03-18, 11:09 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Since I’m feeling sharing, I’ll share my latest bike. It’s a mid-90s Trek Multitrack. I think these bikes make great machines for just about any type of biking, or several types.
It’s comfortable, stable, has tons of gears, will fit a 40mm tire without fenders, or a 35mm with them. It has strong brakes that are easy to adjust. It has 2x bottle brazeons and eyelets for fenders front and rear and a rear rack. Parts are cheap to replace/upgrade and easy to find, it’s easy to work on and it’s very customizable. I bought mine from a guy in the neighborhood across the street for $25. I embellished mine with drop bars because the factory riser bars were causing me some pain in my wrists and lower back after about 30 minutes into my commute. It handles very nicely with them. Fenders because I ride rain or shine, and the roads are filthy.
I wouldn’t recommend it for racing, or heavy off-road use. But I think I might tour on it, it’s certainly enough bike for greenway or trail use. I’ve seen some people make gravel grinders out of them. And it’s very good for commuting. I took it on some gentle single track and it seemed like the bike knew what it was doing better than I did. I bet someone could make a decent cyclocross bike out of maybe one of the lighter Multitrack variants - maybe somebody already has. This one with the hi ten frame fully decked out and loaded with my typical commute load is probably 40-45 lbs. But it doesn’t feel sluggish or hard to handle.
If this provides a frame of reference, the vast majority of my riding miles have been commuting, and that only for a year, and commuting exclusively on vintage drop bar road bikes. I would estimate around 6,000 miles total including recreational rides over the last 5 years. I’ve owned and ridden a few mountain bikes and a couple 3 speeds and I guess half a dozen vintage road bikes but this is my first hybrid. I got it 3 weeks ago and haven’t touched my other bikes since. Weather has been a factor, though.
Old 12-03-18, 11:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

That bike is perfect for you. I'm glad you got it all together.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-03-18, 11:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Oh wait. No dynamo lights. I take it back.

Old 12-03-18, 11:26 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
I’m not sure why anybody who had a choice would continue to do it if they didn’t like it.
The same reason anybody would ride a public bus or drive a car, sit in traffic, find parking, and walk ten blocks to get to work. You think they LIKE that?? Cycling happens to be the fastest, cheapest way for me, and others, to get to work. We don't worship our transportation.

The vast majority of cyclists worldwide don't even give the act of cycling a second thought. They just use what they have at hand. The USA is fairly unique in this "Cult of Cycling" phenomenon.

How to Start a Cult - https://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-Cult

1. Picking an Obsession.

Cycling, in this case.

2. Choose a subject or activity that improves your life.

Commuting, Racing, Car-Free, etc.
3. Choose a subject or activity that you can be passionate about.

Group riding, training, spinning, touring.

4. Pick something you think will benefit others.

You will feel SO much better getting fit and freeing yourself from cars.

5. Learn as much as possible about your obsession.

Cyclists ARE equipment and technique geeks for sure.

6. Choose a leader.

Sheldon Brown?

7. Establish the rules of the cult.

You definitely want to isolate yourself from the "normal" population as much as possible by wearing unique costumes, inventing a language or lingo, create some secret signals, etc.

8. Write up a body text.

Bike club bylaws.

9. Find a place to practice or worship.

On public roads, MUPs, Rail-Trails, coffee shops, pancake joints, club meetings, etc.

10. Come up with a slogan.

"Share the Road", "My other car is a BIKE", One Less Car".

11. Bring other people in, slowly.

Troll web forums and social media to recruit cult members.

12. Make sure all behavior lines up with the party platform.

You MUST wear a helmet. Follow the rules of the road.

13. Refer to your concept as the only true idea.

See A&S, Car-Free, Fixed Gear forums for starters.

14. Practice your obsession.

On the bike and in social media.

15. Do community outreach.

Christmas toy drives are nice. How about MS charity rides? The disease of the month has endless options.

16. Find ways to grow your group.

By witnessing or missionary work in person and social media.
Old 12-03-18, 11:34 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Oh wait. No dynamo lights. I take it back.
Maybe next year. I’m sort of waiting to thrash the wheels I have before I replace them. It seemed to make sense to upgrade wheels and drivetrain from 7 speed to 9 at the same time and add dynamo then too. Would 10 speed be cost prohibitive on an all weather nasty road sort of bike? I went through 2 derailers in the last year, but it’s not like they were new when I put them on. Sand and road grit just shreds stuff though. I think it’s a factor for lots of folks who go internal gear. Cleaning my drivetrain every day - ain’t gonna happen. I think the mudflap on the front fender will help. Maybe a lot.
Old 12-03-18, 11:38 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

My commuter bike has a 3x10 drivetrain because, oddly enough, I cobbled the components together cheaply. On the one hand, I see no disadvantage to having 10 speeds on the cassette. On the other hand, 8 are enough. So I don't look at it as a big decision.

Your plan to upgrade next year sounds smart.

Old 12-04-18, 12:39 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Fastest and cheapest doesn’t mean best.

It it takes almost 3 times as long for me to get to work by bike as by car.

But it is cheaper.

Its better for my health and overall well being. I have a better attitude when I am riding vs when I’m not. It gives me time to think, to be inside my own head. I’m far from the only one to feel this way.

Working on and restoring bikes for me is the same type of satisfaction as working on and restoring cars, or musical instruments, or furniture. I’m not alone in this.

I don’t evangelize car free living or commuting by bike, but I do enjoy it.

I don’t visit living car free forums or sites anymore. I did for a while when I first started thinking about it and for a while after I took the plunge. But the conversation usually turns political and people talk pretty nasty to one another. Same with advocacy and safety, the forum and other sites. If one really wants to be “entertained”, take a look at some of the online discussion about infrastructure and vehicular cycling.

To me it seems paradoxical that the ones who most loudly preach LCF are the ones who act the most unhappy, sort of tightly wound. It hasn’t been an unhappy experience for me. Challenging, yes, but not unhappy. It’s been pretty fulfilling actually. But from my own experience, I wouldn’t - COULDN’T - recommend it to everyone. Not because I’m better than them or that I have something they lack or because I’m a “hardcore” cyclist. Because I like to ride my bike a lot, AND it’s good for me, AND I appreciate the cost savings. And it’s something to be proud of, something I’ve put a lot of time and thought and work into, and sometimes pain, and I enjoy the results. I get used to the honking and close passes and objects being thrown at me. I don’t mind dealing with people asking me “aren’t you cold?” The same people ask the same questions over and over again and I answer them the same way. It is what it is. I’ve never talked anybody into doing it, and I’ve never tried. My wife is talking about getting a car. That doesn’t bother me. In the last year, there were probably 30 days when I felt like I didn’t really want to ride my bike to work, and most of them I just wanted to have a couple tons of steel between me and the other cars. Or heat a couple of times would have been nice. She gets a car, out the window goes any “badge” for living car free. This causes no problem for me. I don’t lose any identity. I don’t have any identity wrapped up in my transportation. If anything, I probably just come off as a really clean homeless guy with a nice bike. I don’t care.

I empathize with LCF folks because I also live without a car. We share the same struggles. We deal with disgruntled motorists. Spending much time on a bike around speeding traffic and abusive drivers can be anxiety inducing. Some people have no choice but to live car free, but you tend to hear less from them on the Internet than you do people who make the choice. Same with bike commuting. There are places where it’s absolutely normal to ride a bike everywhere. So normal that there’s no need for them to talk about it on the Internet. But those places generally exist outside the USA, which is the majority of where BF posts come from. I don’t think it’s fair to label LCF folks as conspiracy theorists or accuse them of trying to start a cult. Nobody should be surprised to find that sort of behavior on a cycling discussion forum, not even one as well moderated as this one.

I have an acquaintance in town who emigrated from Scotland in his 50s who never drove a car, always biked, and still
does here, just about every day. His commute is 19 miles one way, and he does it rain or shine, or ice. He’ll take a ride from his wife sometimes, but he puts in just as many miles a week total as I do, often more. I would bet that if his commute was 12 miles like mine, he’d rarely get a ride from his wife.

This is mostly rambling, but it’s my thread.
Old 12-04-18, 12:46 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Fastest and cheapest doesn’t mean best.

It it takes almost 3 times as long for me to get to work by bike as by car.

But it is cheaper.

Its better for my health and overall well being. I have a better attitude when I am riding vs when I’m not. It gives me time to think, to be inside my own head. I’m far from the only one to feel this way.

Working on and restoring bikes for me is the same type of satisfaction as working on and restoring cars, or musical instruments, or furniture. I’m not alone in this.

I don’t evangelize car free living or commuting by bike, but I do enjoy it.

I don’t visit living car free forums or sites anymore. I did for a while when I first started thinking about it and for a while after I took the plunge. But the conversation usually turns political and people talk pretty nasty to one another. Same with advocacy and safety, the forum and other sites. If one really wants to be “entertained”, take a look at some of the online discussion about infrastructure and vehicular cycling.

To me it seems paradoxical that the ones who most loudly preach LCF are the ones who act the most unhappy, sort of tightly wound. It hasn’t been an unhappy experience for me. Challenging, yes, but not unhappy. It’s been pretty fulfilling actually. But from my own experience, I wouldn’t - COULDN’T - recommend it to everyone. Not because I’m better than them or that I have something they lack or because I’m a “hardcore” cyclist. Because I like to ride my bike a lot, AND it’s good for me, AND I appreciate the cost savings. And it’s something to be proud of, something I’ve put a lot of time and thought and work into, and sometimes pain, and I enjoy the results. I get used to the honking and close passes and objects being thrown at me. I don’t mind dealing with people asking me “aren’t you cold?” The same people ask the same questions over and over again and I answer them the same way. It is what it is. I’ve never talked anybody into doing it, and I’ve never tried. My wife is talking about getting a car. That doesn’t bother me. In the last year, there were probably 30 days when I felt like I didn’t really want to ride my bike to work, and most of them I just wanted to have a couple tons of steel between me and the other cars. Or heat a couple of times would have been nice. She gets a car, out the window goes any “badge” for living car free. This causes no problem for me. I don’t lose any identity. I don’t have any identity wrapped up in my transportation. If anything, I probably just come off as a really clean homeless guy with a nice bike. I don’t care.

I empathize with LCF folks because I also live without a car. We share the same struggles. We deal with disgruntled motorists. Spending much time on a bike around speeding traffic and abusive drivers can be anxiety inducing. Some people have no choice but to live car free, but you tend to hear less from them on the Internet than you do people who make the choice. Same with bike commuting. There are places where it’s absolutely normal to ride a bike everywhere. So normal that there’s no need for them to talk about it on the Internet. But those places generally exist outside the USA, which is the majority of where BF posts come from. I don’t think it’s fair to label LCF folks as conspiracy theorists or accuse them of trying to start a cult. Nobody should be surprised to find that sort of behavior on a cycling discussion forum, not even one as well moderated as this one.

I have an acquaintance in town who emigrated from Scotland in his 50s who never drove a car, always biked, and still
does here, just about every day. His commute is 19 miles one way, and he does it rain or shine, or ice. He’ll take a ride from his wife sometimes, but he puts in just as many miles a week total as I do, often more. I would bet that if his commute was 12 miles like mine, he’d rarely get a ride from his wife.

This is mostly rambling, but it’s my thread.
Why even waste an iota of thought on LCF?

A bike isn't the cheapest way to work for me but it is the best compromise of time/effort/enjoyment. This will change once my daughter is borne and I'll be walking her to nursery and into work. Thus, the bicycle will stop until she is large enough for a rear child seat.

Gotta roll with the punches.
Old 12-04-18, 12:52 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

My commuter bike has a 3x10 drivetrain because, oddly enough, I cobbled the components together cheaply. On the one hand, I see no disadvantage to having 10 speeds on the cassette. On the other hand, 8 are enough. So I don't look at it as a big decision.

Your plan to upgrade next year sounds smart.
I sort of felt like 8 was enough but the price difference between 8 and 9 speed stuff is minimal, at least I thought it was. May as well have another cog if it’s free. But I haven’t looked in quite a while.

I’d probably upgrade crank at the same time
to a 24/34/42 or similar. The 38t big ring is pretty low. I don’t run out of gears commuting but I have used the 11t cog and the 32/38 jump is a little soft, almost like shifting one cog.

Edit: you know how much less it costs to buy a new MTB triple vs a road triple? A lot.
Old 12-04-18, 01:01 AM
acidfast7
Banned

I sort of felt like 8 was enough but the price difference between 8 and 9 speed stuff is minimal, at least I thought it was. May as well have another cog if it’s free. But I haven’t looked in quite a while.

I’d probably upgrade crank at the same time
to a 24/34/42 or similar. The 38t big ring is pretty low. I don’t run out of gears commuting but I have used the 11t cog and the 32/38 jump is a little soft, almost like shifting one cog.

Edit: you know how much less it costs to buy a new MTB triple vs a road triple? A lot.
Look for a Shimano "trekking" set that has T- in the part number. Good quality, wide range and reasonably priced.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/components/trekking.html

edit: I guess what I'm saying is that there's many more Shimano options than only road and MTB (and it's easy to tell them apart by the part number R- for road, T-trekking, U-urban, M-mountain); just like there's more than two types of bikes.

Last edited by acidfast7; 12-04-18 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-04-18, 01:06 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

If Sheldon Brown was an LCF advocate, I’m not aware of it.

I learned more about bikes from his website than any other single source.
Old 12-04-18, 01:16 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by acidfast7
Look for a Shimano "trekking" set that has T- in the part number. Good quality, wide range and reasonably priced.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/components/trekking.html
Thank you. Yeah, the Alivio stuff actually looks really good. Looked up some prices, even less than I expected.
Old 12-04-18, 01:19 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Thank you. Yeah, the Alivio stuff actually looks really good. Looked up some prices, even less than I expected.
Here's an example describing the difference between the T- and the MTB- options.

https://www.bike24.com/p297200.html

Language and shipping country is in the top right corner should it be in German.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.