Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I want other people to enjoy cycling.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 01:36 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
If someone’s life feels meaningless and without fulfillment, getting rid of the car and riding a bike instead probably won’t help much. If it brings enlightenment, I haven’t seen it yet. It certainly hasn’t made me rich, or more environmentally aware, or changed my political views. It hasn’t actually necessitated much of a change of lifestyle except for spending more time at home. And not wearing nice clothes. The 80 minutes a day that I spend riding instead of driving, I’d have spent most of it on the couch or at the computer desk. We don’t go for a drive out on a whim. We spent a lot of money going for a drive out on a whim. We don’t race across town trying to get somewhere on time because we were running late. We plan ahead. We would never have understood the true value of our time or quite honestly the actual money we spent without having gone car free.

But my family is my family and everybody is different and at a different place in life with different priorities. It’s why I don’t preach living car free, or anything else, to anyone.

If I preached anything, it might be kindness, but I don’t practice it very well.

Most people can appreciate a bicycle, though, for one reason or another. ;-)

Last edited by Phamilton; 12-04-18 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-04-18, 01:42 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
If someone’s life feels meaningless and without fulfillment, getting rid of the car and riding a bike instead probably won’t help much. If it brings enlightenment, I haven’t seen it yet. It certainly hasn’t made me rich, or more environmentally aware, or changed my political views. It hasn’t actually necessitated much of a change of lifestyle except for spending more time at home. And not wearing nice clothes. The 80 minutes a day that I spend riding instead of driving, I’d have spent most of it on the couch or at the computer desk. We don’t go for a drive out on a whim. We spent a lot of money going for a drive out on a whim. We don’t race across town trying to get somewhere on time because we were running late. We plan ahead. We would never have understood the true value of our time or quite honestly the actual money we spent without having gone car free.
You sound like a commuter.

You're in the right subforum.

You're going in the right direction with this stream of consciousness. It does provide you alone time, which is very hard to get these days. At least for me, on the bike and in the shower are where my thoughts get sorted out. I don't often change my thoughts once their formulated but it gives me time to think them through.
Old 12-04-18, 01:57 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

I will defend the LCF folks, though, and I will defend commuters, and I will defend racers and wannabe racers, and bmx riders and collectors who never get on a bike. I’ll defend the Dutch. I’ll defend just about anybody’s use of a bicycle for just about any purpose. It was a great invention, and a lot of people are inspired by it to do a lot of cool things. It’s played a key role in the success narratives for a lot of people. For some it’s no more than an appliance. But it’s a great one. As for me, I have no success narrative to offer. Maybe my bike fit is good enough I won’t hurt myself anymore. That would feel like success.
Old 12-04-18, 02:25 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by acidfast7
You sound like a commuter.

You're in the right subforum.

You're going in the right direction with this stream of consciousness. It does provide you alone time, which is very hard to get these days. At least for me, on the bike and in the shower are where my thoughts get sorted out. I don't often change my thoughts once their formulated but it gives me time to think them through.
I’m not sure there is a direction here. My original gripe is I have a hard time understanding the benefit of insulting another group of cyclists. Sort of especially LCF. They harm no one. Literally. I’m not surprised by it, but disappointed to see it on BF. Among different types of cycling there are so many similarities in experience that it’s almost impossible for me to NOT find something in common with someone else who does anything with a bike. And I get that I’m not everybody else, and I get that it’s the Internet, and I get that I’m lucky to have the life that I have.
I don’t have a point, except for that if LCF people or bike commuters find themselves being razzed about their lifestyle or politics or whatever on BF, chances are it’s somebody who drives a car and probably doesn’t spend a lot of time on their bike, if they have one. It’s not a conspiracy theory, it’s a statistical likelihood.

Last edited by Phamilton; 12-04-18 at 02:36 AM.
Old 12-04-18, 02:48 AM
acidfast7
Banned

I don’t have a point, except for that if LCF people or bike commuters find themselves being razzed about their lifestyle or politics or whatever on BF, chances are it’s somebody who drives a car and probably doesn’t spend a lot of time on their bike, if they have one.

Well, I give everyone here a fair bit of ****. For example, I'm not so impressed with those Chicago suburbia photos posted last night, that are supposedly nice in the other thread.

I also give people here **** because of their lifestyle/politics and because of the way that I handle myself. I was very upset with Bush winning again in 2004 (not that Kerry was useful; Gore woulda been nice 2000), so I moved to Europe. I literally stated that I can't stand the way this country (living in TX at the time) is going and didn't want to raise a family there and I'd rather go somewhere we they'd have a better lifestyle and more options. So, I got divorced (tired of the quintessential American relationship like on a primetime sitcom) and started anew over here. Best move I ever made and thus I don't go back that often (a few times a year for about a week each time.) Now, I've got a child on the way and I'm quite excited to have it brought up over here where it's more of an open society. It's already getting three languages in the womb and will have three citizenships from birth, which is also quite nice and wasn't as likely in my previous life. Hence, when I dump on people on here, it's usually with some background experience of what's nice/what's not and from living in several areas.

What I do miss is the slight Asian experience we used to have on here. There was a Korean (from Seoul) commuter on an MTB. And the Chinese contingent calls in every now and then but not as much as they used to Asia might be the next stop for the family. Looks to be coastal China (Southeast) based on the investment in Chinese universities or in Chengdu as the food is excellent.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: As an example of what I like in Europe (left-wing liberal article):

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...champs-elysees

I like that the gilets janues violently protested and changed (or are changing?) governmental policy. I like that government listens to the people, even if by force, and that people only potest en masse when it directly affects society.

Here's a data driven financial analysis and why people are violently protesting (soft paywall unless accessed through google, thsu I have copied the figures and posted them below):

https://www.ft.com/content/b6297b3a-...3-d7f9881e729f

Data is here:

Last edited by acidfast7; 12-04-18 at 05:04 AM.
Old 12-04-18, 06:54 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
It’s not far fetched that a disgruntled motorist might find their way to the LCF sub just to mess with people. There’s no membership rule here that requires proof of actually ever owning or riding a bike.

Lots of people on this forum, myself included, are fortunate enough to have formed connections with BF members outside of the forum, but certainly not everybody -as for many that’s not a priority for whatever reason

Presumably, one who joins and participates in a bike-related discussion forum, it’s because they have an actual interest in the topic. It doesn’t make sense for one who has no interest in bikes to join bikeforums. There’s nothing to offer anybody who doesn’t have it. Anybody who thinks that they alone deserve to like bikes is delusional. Cyclists share an interest in the bike. Cyclists want others to enjoy biking. It’s that simple

The way people interact in the LCF sub is a turn off. I can’t imagine anybody would want to live without a car or ever ride a bike after reading through the threads there. A&S too.

I hadn’t visited Commuting sub for a while and am a little disappointed that sort of junk is kind of spilling into the threads here now.

I was a member here for 3 years before I started commuting by bike a year ago. One thing that turned me on to riding a bike and then cycling to work was reading through the commuting sub here, I was very impressed at how sort of knowledgeable and laid back people were. If I ever aspired to be a “cyclist”,

I think there was maybe an image I associated with the people there (here…
It’s absolutely somewhat a different crowd now as membership is so fluid and whatever, but I think I really do perceive a change in environment. I’m not talking like the “good old days” 10 or 15 or 50 years ago, like just the last couple years. Times don’t change that fast, and I’m only 38.
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Finally, bicycles do not "connect" you, me, or anyone else with some magic aura of similarity any more than five thousand random motorists have anything in common other than coincidence. .When I am on my bike, I have a healthy disdain for most motorists and pedestrians and even some cyclists.

When behind the wheel of a car, I pretty much hate everybody. I come to bike forums because I have extensive experience with bicycle riding and feel I should share it. And it helps me keep my typing sharp.

BTW...I couldn't care less if other people enjoy cycling, eating ice cream, sky diving, or rock climbing. Couldn't care less. I would enjoy fewer of them getting hozed on our roads and highways, on a human level. So I shoot off my mouth here now and then, often in A&S.

I also enjoy many of the regular posters here. It's cheap entertainment. …
Interesting take. The LCF forum has seems to spilled into this forum.I really couldn't care less about LCF as it sounds like a bunch of users pushing a political agenda more than anything else.

Honestly, I'm not sure that I want to meet BF members in the real worldI actually think it's quite similar to 2010 when I joined.

You get the same people with the same perspectives. Some people, like myself, fade in and fade out but I don't think the overall angle has really changed..
Personally IME there was a time and place where (and now) members did associate in a collegial manner:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
50+ the way that it used to be

50+ used to be like the bar on "Cheers". There was a cast of characters like the Deege and Denver who had distinct personalities. Topics were generally related to bicycling or ageing but not always. It was it's own place.

Some people didn't like that. They said they felt like they had wandered into a bar where they didn't belong. Their solution was to change the bar and they did.

Know what? 50+ is coming back. The nay-sayers have drifted away and 50+ is ever so slowly returning to the way that it used to be. I like that.

I still miss Denver and the Deege.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I think this Forum started well before I joined in 2008, maybe 2005?

What has captivated me most about Fifty-Plus beside the general milieu are (were) the Annual rides begun in 2010 up though last year. I have ridden in five of them, and have compiled the personal narratives of all the Rides on the thread, "A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides".

I myself think this so-called "way it used to be" ended with the Fourth Annual Ride in Tennessee. BTW, billydonn was on that one.

Another change IMO is the seeming disappearance of self-identified females from those good old days. Miss Kenton, Miss Jean, and Beverly come immediately to mind as the Women of Fifty-Plus, since I have met them all in person. I considered Miss K the doyenne of the Forum with her savvy and witty posts.

PS: Serendipitous of this thread, I'm in a different region of the country this week, and I'm trying to connect with another Fifty-Plus correspondent between his work and my family activities.
Originally Posted by miss kenton
... Our trip to Boston was more fun than I could have ever anticipated...

There is something very special and unique about meeting the people behind the posts on the forums. They are not fictionalized personalities, anymore than are the people you meet at work, or church, or through other friends.

I would suggest that the majority here are simply people with common bonds--their age and a love of cycling. Some also share an interest in travel, new experiences, and a desire to meet and enjoy the company of like-minded people.

IMO if you don't at least see the value of that opportunity, you are missing out on an amazing element of this forum....
And, on the Regional Discussion Forum is this local thread:
Metro Boston:Good ride today?

…I like to write up my rides, as do others on a local discussion thread here in Boston, and for me, it’s more a journal for myself, than for the amusement of other subscribers, though I hope others would find it interesting.

Of course we in Metro Boston all know the region, and each other, at least electronically, so we are a ready receptive audience for each other.

I have thought of that thread as the cycling equivalent of “apres-ski” after a day on the slopes, where we gather to exchange stories, routes, photos, ribbing, and (?) tall tales

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 12-04-18 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-04-18, 07:06 AM
acidfast7
Banned

I want other people to enjoy cycling. Personally IME there was a time and place where (and now) members did associate in a collegial manner:And, on the Regional Discussion Forum is this local thread:
Yeah. Maybe it would be interesting to meet some people when I return stateside.

I'll be in New Orleans, LA from 20-25 JAN, 2019 should anyone want to meet and show me around.

Just PM me and I'll meet you. Staying on Canal St by the river.

I won't have a bike but will be free to drink beer and listen to excellent music should anyone be interested.
Old 12-04-18, 07:07 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
And I have no desire to misrepresent road cycling as fun, safe, or enjoyable. It might be for some, not for others. Cycling can even be deadly. I do not want the responsibility of encouraging anyone to partake in an activity that could very well lead to their injury or death…
Hi @JoeyBike,

I just noted that quote this morning. Earlier on this thread, I posted a similar sentiment that I have not seen articulated elsewhere:
Frankly, I have posted that I would not be inclined to encourage, unless by example (nor discourage) someone to cycle-commute, but if they so chose, I would freely and gladly give any advice...

Public exhortations to cycle-commute, or utility cycle are well and good with no individual responsibility for bad outcomes, but I would not want the recriminations of a personal endorsement if something bad happened.

Also, with regards to “recreational cycling,” actual organizing, promoting, or similar, may entail IMO a liability beyond a personal guilt trip if something goes wrong….

FWW, I’m not advocatin’ against, just sayin’
Old 12-04-18, 08:16 AM
Jim from Boston

i
Yeah. Maybe it would be interesting to meet some people when I return stateside.

I'll be in New Orleans, LA from 20-25 JAN, 2019 should anyone want to meet and show me around.

Just PM me and I'll meet you. Staying on Canal St by the river.

I won't have a bike but will be free to drink beer and listen to excellent music should anyone be interested
...PS: Serendipitous of [a different] thread, I'm in a different region of the country this week, and I'm trying to connect with another Fifty-Plus correspondent between his work and my family activities.
So in three days of my visit we had three postponements, and due to a miscommunication we both showed up at different restaurants.

I also contacted a subscriber to visit on my drive back to Boston, but that won't work out either.
I too on a recent thread invited subscribers to meetup in Boston:
…I really enjoy showing visitors around Boston on informal walking [and cycling] tours, and I would offer that to a fellow BF subscriber, but I'm a pretty busy person, and would need a heads up to see if I'm available at a mutually agreeable time.
FYA, one of my most illustrious visitors to Boston was @jppe of the Fifty-Plus Forum who was completing a cross-country bike ride from Oregon, following Rte 20, the longest highway in the US.

For that ultimate day I chose this route, visiting the sites you describe…
Old 12-04-18, 12:58 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I haven't been to the 50+ section for years. Last time I was there it seemed to be devoted to the people who demanded others take the same drugs they do making small talk. Bicycling didn't seem to matter much then, and by now I've found whatever I may have been looking for elsewhere.
Old 12-04-18, 01:26 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Since I still feel compelled to share for whatever reason, here's a little Google Earth street view photo montage of my commute from home to work. It's 12 miles and 10 images so each snap is a little over a mile apart. It's not a bad ride, just long. Home is in northeast suburbs of Fort Wayne, IN, work is outside a small town further northeast.

Old 12-04-18, 01:31 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Interesting street view.
Old 12-04-18, 01:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think you got your wish. Other people do enjoy cycling.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-04-18, 01:56 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Note - the white barns and houses in the rural areas are Amish residences. The wide shoulders on the back roads are intended for use by their horse-drawn carriages. They make a convenient bike lane but there are "obstacles" to avoid. The roads with heavier horse carriage (they call them "buggies") use often have a rut toward the center of the lane, 2-3 feet wide and 2-3" deep. This rut fills with water whenever there's precipitation, and the horse droppings are dropped into it. Fenders are absolutely necessary if one doesn't wish to be covered in crap. The buggies usually travel between 12-15mph. I usually end up passing them unless I have a significant headwind. But some drive their horses pretty hard.

Last edited by Phamilton; 12-04-18 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 02:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@Phamilton, it looks pleasant.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-04-18, 02:17 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by noglider
@Phamilton, it looks pleasant.
It's a good ride. I wouldn't go any longer, at least not every day.
Old 12-04-18, 02:18 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

The Amish were doing LCF before anybody on this forum was.
Old 12-04-18, 02:19 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Note - the white barns and houses in the rural areas are Amish residences. The wide shoulders on the back roads are intended for use by their horse-drawn carriages. They make a convenient bike lane but there are "obstacles" to avoid. The roads with heavier horse carriage (they call them "buggies") use often have a rut toward the center of the lane, 2-3 feet wide and 2-3" deep. This rut fills with water whenever there's precipitation, and the horse droppings are dropped into it. Fenders are absolutely necessary if one doesn't wish to be covered in crap. The buggies usually travel between 12-15mph. I usually end up passing them unless I have a significant headwind. But some drive their horses pretty hard.
Now that is cool. I love that it's still called a dual carriageway over here, but you actually get the carriages
Old 12-04-18, 02:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Now that is cool. I love that it's still called a dual carriageway over here, but you actually get the carriages
Maybe dual carriageway doesn't refer to the carriages that carry people but the road that "carries" two vehicles at a time.

@Phamilton, I know. My previous commute was 13 miles each way, and it was just a bit too much for me. My current one is 6.5 miles each way, and it's short enough that there's no question I want to ride it every day. I have the subway as an alternative.

Old 12-04-18, 02:44 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
I haven't been to the 50+ section for years. Last time I was there it seemed to be devoted to the people who demanded others take the same drugs they do making small talk.
To be fair, it seems like a majority of the discussions on bikeforums in general is people looking for confirmation of their own bias. What's the best bike? The one I've got. What's the best tire? The ones on my bike, all the others are too stiff or too flimsy. Should I get disk brakes? I only know one poster who says I have 'em on some of my bikes and they don't make much difference. What's the best chain lube? The one I use, of course! Seems the color of the bike is the one area where it's OK for you to get something different than the color of my bike (though there are exceptions there, too).

Perhaps that's the nature of the 'net discussion space, though. What is this thread but the OP saying, "I wish people could behave themselves on the web" and we're all making small talk around that topic?
Old 12-04-18, 02:56 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by pdlamb
To be fair, it seems like a majority of the discussions on bikeforums in general is people looking for confirmation of their own bias. What's the best bike? The one I've got. What's the best tire? The ones on my bike, all the others are too stiff or too flimsy. Should I get disk brakes? I only know one poster who says I have 'em on some of my bikes and they don't make much difference. What's the best chain lube? The one I use, of course! Seems the color of the bike is the one area where it's OK for you to get something different than the color of my bike (though there are exceptions there, too).

Perhaps that's the nature of the 'net discussion space, though. What is this thread but the OP saying, "I wish people could behave themselves on the web" and we're all making small talk around that topic?
That's exactly what the OP is saying, and the OP doesn't mind the small talk around that topic.
Old 12-04-18, 04:40 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
After seeing the pictures of the OPs ride I'd have to say you have a different group of people that you might influence. Do the Amish bicycle? Most of the other people I see are either in cars or walking, I haven't encounter a horse while riding yet.
Old 12-04-18, 04:50 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by no motor?
After seeing the pictures of the OPs ride I'd have to say you have a different group of people that you might influence. Do the Amish bicycle? Most of the other people I see are either in cars or walking, I haven't encounter a horse while riding yet.
They do. I saw them out riding before I started commuting by bike. Many of them are using e-bikes now. Their communities are small and close so they don’t do a lot of miles. I passed two Amish ladies on bikes one day last week on my way home from work, opposite direction. It was cold and windy last week. Thing I don’t get is they’re always grinding a tall gear moving at like 10mph. My knees would disintegrate.
Old 12-04-18, 04:53 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Thing I don’t get is they’re always grinding a tall gear moving at like 10mph.
They are not "cyclists". Just people riding bikes.

The Amish are allowed to skate as well.
Old 12-04-18, 04:58 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

But again with “group of people to influence”, I’m not a missionary in search of lost souls. I don’t have anything to sell. I’ve read and re-read my post and all my replies and I can’t see how I come across as someone who is looking for converts. At this point in the thread, any suggestion that I’m trying to evangelize is presumptuous and absurd. I’ve stated and restated my position.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.