Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

CO2 & Tubeless Stems

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 10:07 AM
JayNYC

Bikes: Fuji Jari 1.3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
CO2 & Tubeless Stems

This isn't gravel-specific, but not sure where else to put it…

I had my first puncture with a tubeless tire a couple weeks ago. So I pulled out a CO2 cartridge, but when I went to use it I had a problem. The valve that you screw onto the CO2 cartridge screws onto the wheel valve stem. But the rotation caused by screwing it on started turning the wheel stem and then I had a leak from that spot as well.

How do you manage to use CO2 cartridges without getting an additional leak from the valve stem? How do you keep the wheel's stem from rotating when you screw the CO2 valve onto it?

[Sorry if I have terms off in that description – it's a bit confusing given that there are two valves - one on the wheel and one on the CO2 cartridge. Hopefully you get the gist of what I'm trying to describe.]
Old 06-06-19, 10:28 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Did the valve core unscrew or the nut causing the entire stem to spin? If you tighten down the nut then that should prevent it from spinning. Same with the valve core. The other option is to get a co2 head that simply presses onto the valve rather screws on
Old 06-06-19, 10:28 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
You should have the nut tight enough that doesn't happen, and you can get inflators that don't need to be screwed onto the valve. But also you should be using a pump with tubeless.

Edit - with latex sealant like Caffe or Stan's, you should be using a pump. The Slime brand stuff says it's CO2 compatible, that's nice of them.
https://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/caffelatex-co2/
We often receive questions about Caffélatex solidification after the inflation of the tyre with a CO2 cartridge. This is a known and unwanted side-effect related to CO2, common to most latex-based sealants.
https://www.slime.com/au/products/bi...ss-sealant.php
CO2 COMPATIBLE • CO2 Won’t Freeze Sealant in your Tyre
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 06-06-19 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-06-19, 10:41 AM
JayNYC

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Did the valve core unscrew or the nut causing the entire stem to spin? If you tighten down the nut then that should prevent it from spinning. Same with the valve core. The other option is to get a co2 head that simply presses onto the valve rather screws on
The entire casing was turning. I thought the nut was reasonably tight. When it started spinning I tried to tighten it, but it all kept spinning.

Basically clockwise tightening of the CO2 valve caused the wheel stem casing to rotate clockwise. Which had the effect of unscrewing the nut. For that reason I'm thinking you can't use any type of pump or other inflation device that screws on since it will unscrew the nut loosen things and cause a leak.
Old 06-06-19, 10:41 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
My luck with CO2 cartridges has been 50-50 at best. For whatever reason, IME it was a rare day that 1 cartridge = 1 fix. 2 or even 3 cartridges (!) usually got me home, but not always.

Given the amount of atmosphere readily available, I've found I have better luck with standard pumps. Even a slow leak can be easily topped-up many miles down the road & the discovery of a second or 3rd unexpected hole doesn't come at the risk of no more cartridges or long walks to cell coverage.

If your reason for CO2 is grams, a standard pump isn't really appreciably any different than the head & 3 cartridges anyway.

If your reason for cartridges is time, the difference is minutes, at best.
Old 06-06-19, 10:56 AM
JayNYC

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
My luck with CO2 cartridges has been 50-50 at best. For whatever reason, IME it was a rare day that 1 cartridge = 1 fix. 2 or even 3 cartridges (!) usually got me home, but not always.

Given the amount of atmosphere readily available, I've found I have better luck with standard pumps. Even a slow leak can be easily topped-up many miles down the road & the discovery of a second or 3rd unexpected hole doesn't come at the risk of no more cartridges or long walks to cell coverage.

If your reason for CO2 is grams, a standard pump isn't really appreciably any different than the head & 3 cartridges anyway.

If your reason for cartridges is time, the difference is minutes, at best.
I've had great luck with CO2 cartridges with tubes. They work great. You just have to have the right size for the tube you're riding. (16g for skinny tires, 25g for typical hybrid or gravel tires).

But now I'm starting to realize they may be wrong for tubeless. Between the chemical interactions and the chance of freezing the sealant… I guess I'll be buying a pump (one that doesn't screw on…)
Old 06-06-19, 11:11 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 932 Posts
Originally Posted by JayNYC
I've had great luck with CO2 cartridges with tubes. They work great. You just have to have the right size for the tube you're riding. (16g for skinny tires, 25g for typical hybrid or gravel tires).

But now I'm starting to realize they may be wrong for tubeless. Between the chemical interactions and the chance of freezing the sealant… I guess I'll be buying a pump (one that doesn't screw on…)
Oh, no. Don't get me wrong. I really don't think theres anything "wrong" with cartridges. It's just that it's been my experience that if/when there is a problem, a second hole, a pinched tube, a tire bead that didn't seat, a torn casing that it turns out needed to be booted anyway, even though it looked fine, etc... The unexpected becomes a "real" problem pretty quickly when air supply & number of repair attempts is limited.

The associated risk of "real problem" became unacceptable to me when I realized that a pump could just be pumped more with no additional risk of walking home.

No worries, pumps are cheap & carrying one means you'll never flat ever again, ever & thus never need it...but forget it just one time...

Cheers
Old 06-06-19, 11:22 AM
JayNYC

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
pumps are cheap & carrying one means you'll never flat ever again, ever & thus never need it...but forget it just one time...
LOL. If only carrying a pump meant no more flats! But alas I live in NYC. There's a ton of sharp debris around here just waiting to puncture your tires.

I usually carry 2-3 cartridges. Never just one. Perhaps that's why my experience with cartridges is pretty good – I've never really risked running out of them.
Old 06-06-19, 12:39 PM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
I have the type that pushes on, i've had no issues.
Old 06-06-19, 12:45 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Either use stems that have an o-ring under the knurled nut, or put an o-ring on there now. For added protection, a press-on CO2 head, like a PDW Shiny Obect or a Lezyne Trigger Drive is definitely the way to go.

Oh, and when initially installing the stems, either press down on the base or pull up on the threaded portion when tightening the nut. If the stem is rotating at all, it means it's too loose to begin with.
Old 06-06-19, 01:30 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

Oh, and when initially installing the stems, either press down on the base or pull up on the threaded portion when tightening the nut. If the stem is rotating at all, it means it's too loose to begin with.
Yep, which might be an indicator you are using the wrong type of stem for your wheels. Once installed the stem shouldn't move at all and should only require a finger tightening for it to secure. I swap valve cores all the time which is more torque on the stem than a CO2 adapter without issues
Old 06-06-19, 01:44 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by 86az135i
I have the type that pushes on, i've had no issues.
This. Don't use the screw on type. They aren't necessary anyway.
Old 06-06-19, 02:07 PM
JayNYC

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Either use stems that have an o-ring under the knurled nut, or put an o-ring on there now. For added protection, a press-on CO2 head, like a PDW Shiny Obect or a Lezyne Trigger Drive is definitely the way to go.

Mine do have O-rings.

Good idea about making sure they're properly tight.

As far as press-on or screw-on – I've ordered a pump and will switch to that. (And it's press-on).
Old 06-06-19, 03:02 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Well, its the same problem when removing/installing the core. If the nut isn't tight enough, stem will spin. They say to "hand tighten" but I give it a little extra with a wrench to make sure its tight.
Its a little better with the stems that have a square seat in the rim, but the round ones spin pretty easy.

and this is good advice:
"Oh, and when initially installing the stems, either press down on the base or pull up on the threaded portion when tightening the nut. If the stem is rotating at all, it means it's too loose to begin with." - @DrIsotope
Old 06-06-19, 04:31 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned this. Grab the low part of the stem firmly with one hand (two finger pinch) and screw the head on with the other hand.

I do this and it’s plenty of force to keep the valve from turning. It probably wouldn’t work if you’ve got arthritis or only one hand.
Old 06-06-19, 06:17 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
No advice, but I have a floor pump that threads on, and occasionally experience the same issue with the tubeless valve stem spinning/loosening the nut. I probably could use a o-ring like DrIsotope suggests...but if I remember to just hold the valve stem in place as I thread in the inflator it’s fine.