Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Osprey Siskin 8

Old 07-01-19, 09:25 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Osprey Siskin 8

Riding with a hydration pack is almost mandatory here you always want some cold fluid. My gravel bike has a Revelate half frame bag which really works well and I have the standard saddle bag. My old Osprey is worn out so I ordered a new one. Downsizing to a smaller pack that pull double duty for the MTB and fatbike. I’m curious to see how many gravel riders use a hydration pack and what make and model. Share some thoughts if you feel like it.
Old 07-01-19, 11:27 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I am using camelback rouge for hydration. LOVE it! a bit limited for storage. but that is what bike bags are for.

On the other hand my road pack is an Osprey talon 22. Love Osprey as a product, hate their business ethics. They are right up there with shimano at abusing the people that keep them in business. My opinions might not align with others on the matter.
regardless I'll push people towards Camelback
Old 07-02-19, 06:32 AM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
It’s designed for runners, but I’ve been very pleased with my Nathan HPL 020 over the years...I bought it to train for marathons during Kansas summers and now bring it on almost every ride I do over 50 miles. I need to get over myself about meticulously cleaning the bladder/hose after each use, because if it wasn’t for that I would use it on every ride and run this time of year.

Mine is probably 8 or 9 years old...and despite newer offerings, Nathan still makes the HPL 020 and, as far as I can tell, it is virtually unchanged from when I bought mine. I really like the pockets on the front of each shoulder strap and the extra storage compartment behind the bladder. With some gels/snacks/phone in the shoulder pockets for easy access, and a tube and some tools in the back storage, you could go on a decently long ride with just this pack. If I have one gripe, it’s that it’s got a 2L bladder...which is certainly ample, but I’d like 3L.
Old 07-02-19, 08:18 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I use a cheap Coleman hydration pack 8L. I changed out the bladder to a Hydrapak (which is great). Looking to get a USWE Airborne 3 soon.
Old 07-02-19, 01:59 PM
MAGAIVER

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, KHS Urban Soul, Haro Team Issue, GT Force Expert Carbon, Bernardi Quadra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
I don't use a hydration pack on the gravel bike since I can fit 4 bottles on my frame. But I have a Camelbak Octane XCT and I like it a lot, it's very lightweight can carry 3L of water and has enough storage capacity for a fatbike innertube, pump, tools, phone and a windbraker jacket.
Old 07-02-19, 03:39 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I have three different hydration packs and I don't know how many bladders, hoses and valves I've acquired over the years. Osprey, Platypus, Camelbak....

I keep going back to the original Camelbak which I think was purchased around the turn of the century. It remains the most comfortable for me.

-Tim-