Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin is killing it with their watches.

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 09-05-19, 09:45 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

I've been using a GPS watch for several years now, and the only time I've ever find it lacking compared to an Edge cyclocomputer has been structured (power based) intervals. On the other hand there I can't count the times I've been happy to have a watch instead. It's been my experience that their watches are much more stable and less buggy than their Edges, they're made by different teams, and have broader appeal, I think Garmin invests more in their quality.

The new Fenix 6X gets 60 hours of every second GPS time. One variant has a built in solar charger.

Their Venu line has a beautiful screen like an always on Apple Watch, guides people through indoor workouts with proper form, etc.

All of the watches have too many health related features to list. Not so of them are tremendously useful, some are great.
Old 09-05-19, 10:33 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

The new Fenix 6X gets 60 hours of every second GPS time. One variant has a built in solar charger.
Screen size is everything. The bigger the screen, the bigger the battery. I'd guess that Garmin is able to leverage and make use of the well developed watch battery industry. Unlike trying to re-purpose smartphone batteries for a device whose screen is on every minute the device is used.

I think as well there's a huge and competitive market for fitness watches that Garmin has made a decision to be a player in. GPS cycling I think is a significantly smaller market.
Old 09-05-19, 03:05 PM
Seattle Forrest

The new breed of watches can track your respiration rate (breath) from your heart data. It sounds like that's only during sport, but that's not entirely clear to me. I'm recovering from a broken rib and partially collapsed lung, the ER gave me a plastic chamber device to measure the air volume I can take in. It's extremely painful to use. I must be breathing more quickly to make up for reduced volume, I'd be very interested to see whether this could be of use.
Old 09-05-19, 08:38 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Agree. I've purchased a refurbished F5 (can't justify spending close to $1000 for their top of the line F6) and am very happy with it.
Old 09-05-19, 09:27 PM
Seattle Forrest

F5 is a fantastic watch, I hope you like your a lot. Now was a smart time to pick one up too. 🙂
Old 09-05-19, 09:46 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The new breed of watches can track your respiration rate (breath) from your heart data. It sounds like that's only during sport, but that's not entirely clear to me. I'm recovering from a broken rib and partially collapsed lung, the ER gave me a plastic chamber device to measure the air volume I can take in. It's extremely painful to use. I must be breathing more quickly to make up for reduced volume, I'd be very interested to see whether this could be of use.
Like many other fitness tracker products...I suspect that feature has poor accuracy and precision compared to the actual medical tool.
Old 09-05-19, 11:27 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Screen size is everything and I'm effectively blind in one eye.

Man, I'd like to own one Forrest, but I just can't use such a tiny screen.

Maybe I'll give them another look.
Old 09-06-19, 03:47 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I own a F3 and have been happy with it, especially hiking. The new F5 & F6 are huge steps up and maybe if my F3 ever dies I'll look at one of them.

But as the others have stated I wouldn't even think about trying to use it as a cycling computer. The display is just too small for me to see since I like to have 5 fields up during my normal riding. But I was surprised to see my respiration rate show up in Garmin Connect when I upgraded to and Edge 830 and use a chest strap. I never saw that before with the F3 or Edge 500. Seems pretty accurate when I've checked.
Old 09-08-19, 12:03 AM
Seattle Forrest

I bought a 6X today. It still be a few weeks until I'm healed enough to put it to use. I've been playing with it and first impressions are very favorable.
Old 09-08-19, 12:51 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I put a Garmin watch on my wish list but it's substantially behind several other things...
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-12-19, 03:30 PM
gorideabicycle

Bikes: 1982 Puch, 1987 Trek 560, 1987 Trek 400t Elance, 2013 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm still using my trusty Forerunner 230. It still has excellent battery life after 2-3 years of use and abuse. It doesn't have heart rate functionality or anything, but I've heard that the 235 HR data is not trustworthy anyways. Not sure about the newer F6. It's probably more accurate. Someday I'll upgrade!
Old 09-15-19, 02:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Like many other fitness tracker products...I suspect that feature has poor accuracy and precision compared to the actual medical tool.
I'm posting this on the very off chance the info may be useful to someone.

The watch will only do respiration rate during a recorded activity, not 24/7. Technically you could say you're running and sit in a chair. It also only works with a chest strap, it won't use optical HR data. While that implies higher quality data, a chest strap hurts a lot when you have a broken rib. This software just wasn't able to provide any usefulness as a proxy for lung function. On the bright side, my x-rays look normal and I'm now able to achieve "best" on the machine the ER gave me. Feet still hurt too much to wear bike shoes though.