Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Smell Of Marijuana From Passing Cars

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

The Smell Of Marijuana From Passing Cars

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-14, 11:12 PM
spokenfour

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its disturbing to me to see distracted,and DUI drivers . More disturbing still are the knots of kids I see getting high while they wait for the bus.
Old 09-28-14, 03:36 PM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
There's plenty of links to statistics in this thread that say otherwise.. but okay bud. I am curious about those of you who respond so negatively to the smell, why do you feel it causes such a hazard? Do you have reasons based on fact, or is it simply because you believe it's a hazard? Have you been endangered by a stoned driver? Is there a factual study etc etc? I'm really just trying to understand a perspective that to me seems to defy the statistics.
I think we're on relatively new ground regarding safety statistics for pot-using drivers. In a couple of years, it'll be interesting to see what happens in Washington and Colorado, as greater numbers of people start using it or maybe more choose to use it instead of alcohol.

My take on this is that smoking pot has less impact on driving ability than alcohol does. However, I'm sure that pot negatively impacts motor skills, perception, and judgement, and therefore it's really unacceptable to smoke pot and drive. I also suspect that the effect of combining pot and alcohol is more than additive. I don't have studies to cite for this. Lets just say I have, umm, "a friend" who did all this back in the day.
Old 09-28-14, 04:22 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
I had a similar "friend", and I agree completely.
Old 09-28-14, 04:41 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Spld cyclist
I think we're on relatively new ground regarding safety statistics for pot-using drivers. In a couple of years, it'll be interesting to see what happens in Washington and Colorado, as greater numbers of people start using it or maybe more choose to use it instead of alcohol.

My take on this is that smoking pot has less impact on driving ability than alcohol does. However, I'm sure that pot negatively impacts motor skills, perception, and judgement, and therefore it's really unacceptable to smoke pot and drive. I also suspect that the effect of combining pot and alcohol is more than additive. I don't have studies to cite for this. Lets just say I have, umm, "a friend" who did all this back in the day.
Fascinating.. so no actual reasoning, just the fact you yourself lacked control when you were partaking? I'm not going to play the "my friend" game here, we're all big boys and girls with our respective big peoples pants, I also think it's fairly obvious that I myself used to smoke from my stance.. and I'll even throw this in, the majority of human beings should not smoke pot... however I don't get to decide that for them. Reading through this thread it's fairly obvious people are set about how they feel about this.. whether their stance is based in reality and facts or through a smoky dim sit of memories.. or even the people who are biased by the anti-pot propaganda..

Can anyone produce FACTUAL evidence that stoned drivers put them in danger? Everyone seems to agree, alcohol, cell phones, etc are all more dangerous than a stoned driver... so what level of hazard do you really suppose these guys present?
Old 09-28-14, 06:00 PM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fascinating.. so no actual reasoning, just the fact you yourself lacked control when you were partaking? I'm not going to play the "my friend" game here, we're all big boys and girls with our respective big peoples pants, I also think it's fairly obvious that I myself used to smoke from my stance.. and I'll even throw this in, the majority of human beings should not smoke pot... however I don't get to decide that for them. Reading through this thread it's fairly obvious people are set about how they feel about this.. whether their stance is based in reality and facts or through a smoky dim sit of memories.. or even the people who are biased by the anti-pot propaganda..

Can anyone produce FACTUAL evidence that stoned drivers put them in danger? Everyone seems to agree, alcohol, cell phones, etc are all more dangerous than a stoned driver... so what level of hazard do you really suppose these guys present?
The thing about "my friend" was an attempt at humor; sorry if you didn't get it.

If you didn't notice changes in motor control, perception, and judgement when smoking pot, either you didn't inhale or pot doesn't affect you the way it affects everyone else. And if it doesn't affect you that way, I don't know why you would bother to do it. That's what it does.

I don't care if anyone chooses to smoke pot. I care very much if people choose to smoke pot and then drive, because it puts me and everyone else in danger.

Your appeal to logic and fact is bizarre. Anyone who has smoked pot knows that it makes profound changes to your mental state, and those changes are not conducive to safely operating a vehicle. It's highly logical to believe that anyone in that state shouldn't be driving.
Old 09-28-14, 06:19 PM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, one of these days one of those pot shops is going to jump out and open it's door directly into the bike lane.
Nice.

I've definitely caught whiffs of the schpliff while riding, and i usually have a pretty strong guess as to which care it came from, but I can't say with any certainty. It doesn't disturb me nor bother me until someone in a schmoky car actually endangers me. My motto: nothing's a problem, until it's a problem.
Old 09-29-14, 07:11 AM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't smoked in years, but I will say I was definitely a much worse driver high than sober. Though, I don't know how much worse and we don't have the statistics right now to accurately state how much worse.
Old 09-29-14, 08:53 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

The thing about "my friend" was an attempt at humor; sorry if you didn't get it.

If you didn't notice changes in motor control, perception, and judgement when smoking pot, either you didn't inhale or pot doesn't affect you the way it affects everyone else. And if it doesn't affect you that way, I don't know why you would bother to do it. That's what it does.

I don't care if anyone chooses to smoke pot. I care very much if people choose to smoke pot and then drive, because it puts me and everyone else in danger.

Your appeal to logic and fact is bizarre. Anyone who has smoked pot knows that it makes profound changes to your mental state, and those changes are not conducive to safely operating a vehicle. It's highly logical to believe that anyone in that state shouldn't be driving.
I can tell by your response you could care less what the facts say and that's fine, but hey... my "bizarre" logic, is based on facts and studies.. as well as personal experiences. I notice you're still dancing around my real question WHAT HAZARD DO THEY ACTUALLY POSE TO YOU? Yes I agree their reaction time slows.. that is an affect of the drug, what you neglect to go into is that if you smoke enough to be that adversely affected you more than likely will not drive, and if you smoke less, you're most likely to compensate by driving slowly in the slow lane... (which is pointed out in the study....)Which raises a curious point... you know this, you know I'm not bothering to lay out full context and yet you attempt to imply I don't understand how the drug works because I don't agree with you. I can't really see this particular conversation moving forward at all, although I think I knew that though from your initial response. As for your "humor" I could care less I was more concerned with the content of your "thoughts" on the matter.
Old 09-29-14, 08:59 AM
ColnagoC40

Bikes: Vitus 979 x 2, Vitus 992, Colnago C40, Colnago C60

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have no idea whatsoever? What does it smell like?
Old 09-29-14, 10:07 AM
Spld cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can tell by your response you could care less what the facts say and that's fine, but hey... my "bizarre" logic, is based on facts and studies.. as well as personal experiences. I notice you're still dancing around my real question WHAT HAZARD DO THEY ACTUALLY POSE TO YOU? Yes I agree their reaction time slows.. that is an affect of the drug, what you neglect to go into is that if you smoke enough to be that adversely affected you more than likely will not drive, and if you smoke less, you're most likely to compensate by driving slowly in the slow lane... (which is pointed out in the study....)Which raises a curious point... you know this, you know I'm not bothering to lay out full context and yet you attempt to imply I don't understand how the drug works because I don't agree with you. I can't really see this particular conversation moving forward at all, although I think I knew that though from your initial response. As for your "humor" I could care less I was more concerned with the content of your "thoughts" on the matter.
I'm perfectly safe as long as chance prevents me from coming across a high driver on the roads. Problem is, I have no knowledge of drivers' mental states, control over their decisions to drive, or actions when they do choose to drive. It's better if they don't drive high and I hope that the police continue to enforce DUI laws as they apply to drugs and alcohol.

You're apparently relying on a single metaanalysis described on the NORML site, which has a well-known slant on MJ in general. Feel free to google and read the first few links that pop up. There are more balanced articles, citing other research, showing that there probably is increased risk. Not nearly as much risk as with alcohol, but it appears to be real. And as I mentioned earlier, there is solid evidence that the combination of pot and alcohol is much worse than either alone. I think it's safe to say that mixing the two is common.

I do agree that this conversation has outlasted its usefulness. I won't respond again.
Old 09-29-14, 10:19 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You certainly seem to have a well tuned nose. You can even smell what is inside passing cars, wow! Are you any relation to McGruff?
I can smell either tobacco or mj smoke from passing cars, easily. It's not a subtle smell.
Old 09-29-14, 10:51 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

I'm perfectly safe as long as chance prevents me from coming across a high driver on the roads. Problem is, I have no knowledge of drivers' mental states, control over their decisions to drive, or actions when they do choose to drive. It's better if they don't drive high and I hope that the police continue to enforce DUI laws as they apply to drugs and alcohol.

You're apparently relying on a single metaanalysis described on the NORML site, which has a well-known slant on MJ in general. Feel free to google and read the first few links that pop up. There are more balanced articles, citing other research, showing that there probably is increased risk. Not nearly as much risk as with alcohol, but it appears to be real. And as I mentioned earlier, there is solid evidence that the combination of pot and alcohol is much worse than either alone. I think it's safe to say that mixing the two is common.

I do agree that this conversation has outlasted its usefulness. I won't respond again.
Not to continue the debate at all, but the "first few google" results are just what pop up there, the NORML site believe it or not is about as close to balanced as you're going to find, since most of these studies start off with a negative assumption that they then attempt to prove (AKA not science). Ride safe out there!
Old 09-29-14, 11:24 AM
WarrenR

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
I commuted to work for many years and observed that on my way to work the pot smell come from work vans and trucks, on my way home the smell came from Porsche's, Cadilac's and Lexus's. Blue collar workers going to work, white collar workers going home to the family. Too funny!
Old 09-29-14, 12:56 PM
tattman23

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 80's Raleigh Pursuit 12-speed "Sport-Touring Geometry" with fully functional QuickStand, thanks Raleigh

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WarrenR
I commuted to work for many years and observed that on my way to work the pot smell come from work vans and trucks, on my way home the smell came from Porsche's, Cadilac's and Lexus's. Blue collar workers going to work, white collar workers going home to the family. Too funny!
^^ THAT's perspicacious!
Old 09-29-14, 01:14 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Don't be a litterbug

You need this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ashtray.jpg (36.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-29-14, 02:52 PM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by badrad
If we're stopped side by side, I'd ask for a toke myself...
Sounds good to me, they should share more than just the road!
Old 09-30-14, 09:59 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Marijuana is VERY pungent
and it sticks to fabric
Yeah a well tuned nose could detect it-even from a closed vehicle-especially if he is a non smoker(both types).
Now the OP is certainly exaggerating a bit to make his point-
granted exaggerations is rare on A&S
Guessing his point is there are LOTS of impaired drivers out there-no surprise
The Texting drivers are probably a bigger risk than the dopers.
Dopers MIGHT be extra careful-obey laws etc- because they DON'T want to attract LEO attention.

I regularly smell weed on people, but Texters and folks talking on phones give me more pause than dopers
Nothing I can do about it-so I don't lose any sleep over it.
Old 09-30-14, 10:12 AM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've smelt it a few times. They usually have the windows down. It is dangerous because smoking while driving can cause an accident and impair the driver just as bad as drinking and driving does. I do know that people do that since I am pretty young still and remember being 18 and hot boxing the car just to get SUPER high with the windows up. Then you'd roll down the windows and it'd look like a coal powered train on the road.