Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fan to power my bike - need advice

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-10, 08:09 PM
crilex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello everybody

I am new on this interesting site and I need an advice for my idea.

I recently bought a road bike and I was wondering if can I increase my speed using a plastic fan mounted in the front of my bike. I wanna mention that the fan will be powered by the motion of the front wheel at a ratio of 1 to 10-15 (I don't wanna use batteries or engines) . The diameter of the fan will be 2o".

I also wanna know if someone had tried this before and what were the results. Was it worth it? I ask this because I don't wanna waste my money.

I know that sounds crazy but my idea came while I was riding against the wind. I think everyone of as knows how hard is to pedal against the wind.

Thank you very much & I waiting for your advices.
Old 07-26-10, 08:20 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
So you are proposing a fan set up to pull the bike forward, powered by the front wheel. This, in combination with the power of the back wheel, is to provide more forward speed than you would get from pedal powering the back wheel alone. So, where does the "free" energy come from? A headwind driving the fan which in turn drives the front wheel? Yup, You're right. This is crazy. bk
Old 07-26-10, 08:32 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by crilex

I also wanna know if someone had tried this before and what were the results. Was it worth it? I ask this because I don't wanna waste my money.

Yes, I've tried it. I went from my normal "just riding along" speed of 18-21mph to about 32-35mph. It was cheap, too; the whole setup only cost about $5. Was it worth it? Well, all the folks I rode with before I made the modifications refused to ride with me anymore because I was too fast. They resented the fact that I was so resourceful, and they hated the fact that they simply could not keep up with me any more. I lost a lot of friends over this. I would say it was definitely not "worth it." FWIW, I have removed the modifications I made to my bike and currently ride mostly alone......at my old JRA speed of 18-21 mph. Lesson learned....... BTW, I refuse to divulge the exact design of my front-mounted fan. I don't want others to go through what I did.
Old 07-26-10, 08:42 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by well biked
Yes, I've tried it. I went from my normal "just riding along" speed of 18-21mph to about 32-35mph. It was cheap, too; the whole setup only cost about $5. Was it worth it? Well, all the folks I rode with before I made the modifications refused to ride with me anymore because I was too fast. They resented the fact that I was so resourceful, and they hated the fact that they simply could not keep up with me any more. I lost a lot of friends over this. I would say it was definitely not "worth it." FWIW, I have removed the modifications I made to my bike and currently ride mostly alone......at my old JRA speed of 18-21 mph. Lesson learned....... BTW, I refuse to divulge the exact design of my front-mounted fan. I don't want others to go through what I did.
Did your wife and children leave you, too?
Sad story.
Old 07-26-10, 09:10 PM
kh6idf

Bikes: Cervelo RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember in college (engineering) we had this toy boat with a large propeller (above the water) at the front driving a smaller underwater propeller at the rear of the boat. You could turn on a fan and that boat would head straight for the fan, directly upwind!
Old 07-26-10, 09:18 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
From my avatar it should be obvious that I like model airplanes as well as bicycles.

A fan, or rather a propeller, will never be as efficient as the direct mechanical link from your foot to the ground through the bicycles drive train. Adding a propeller at the front would slow you down by some amount rather than speed you up. You don't get energy for free. And what you have would be best used by just moving the pedals faster.
Old 07-26-10, 09:55 PM
crilex

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK got it, but what about if I increase the size of the wheel diameter?...Or do you know any other methods to increase the speed of a bike, but without moving the pedals faster (just keep up a normal rhythm). I wanna know a method which allows me to increase the speed keeping a normal rhythm.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 07-26-10, 10:04 PM
TerryH

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 6.5, 2009 Trek Fue, 2008 Specialized Langster, 2005 Trek Madone 5.2, 2003 Habanero Cross, 2000 Santan Soverign Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK got it, but what about if I increase the size of the wheel diameter?...Or do you know any other methods to increase the speed of a bike, but without moving the pedals faster (just keep up a normal rhythm). I wanna know a method which allows me to increase the speed keeping a normal rhythm.

Thanks for your advice.
That would be the same as using a higher gear. There's no free lunch, you'll go faster for a given speed of turning the pedals, but you'll have to work harder to turn them at the same speed.
Old 07-26-10, 10:51 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 393 Posts

Thanks for your advice.
The propeller bike has a long and fabled history:
https://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/.../prop_bike.jpg

As Terry said, there's no free lunch. Since you're saying you don't want to increase the power you're putting into the bike, the only way to go faster is to reduce drag. Most of the resistance to forward motion at common riding speeds is aerodynamic drag, so you can go faster by:
1. changing your riding position to minimize drag by using "aero" bars or switching to a time-trial type bike:
https://www.roadbikeaction.com/imagef...bikeaction.jpg
2. switching to a laid-back recumbent bike:
https://www.bikeforest.com/zockra.jpg
2a. switching to a recumbent bike with a fairing:
https://home.comcast.net/~jeff_wills/jeff-big.jpg
2b. switching to a recumbent bike with a fairing and fabric "body-sock":
https://www.recumbents.com/wisil/recu...arl.Russel.jpg
3. Creating a recumbent bike with a full hard-shell fairing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQwpGLCAMm4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMUNOLwW0io

None of this is free: you need to invest in equipment and/or increase your tolerance for appearing dorky and/or trade off other areas of performance (recumbents are known for not climbing hills well).

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 07-26-10, 11:25 PM
BCRider

And ride more often to get into better shape..... Your speed is only as good as the power of the engine.
Old 07-27-10, 01:12 AM
iain.dalton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to go faster for the same effort (on your part), you could put a motor on it.
Old 07-27-10, 03:16 AM
wheelgrabber

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the fan idea worked we wouldn't have gear driven wheels. The chain would go to a fan and the wheels would simply be wheels. Fans are not known for efficiency. Fans that provide propulsion are typically powered by huge horsepower or watts. The limiting factor in your vehicle is your engine(ie you) not the transmission.
Old 07-27-10, 05:15 AM
leweee 
aspiring bike mechanic

Bikes: 80's Marin mtb, 70's Raliegh mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread needs a few gallons of prop wash & a few yards of flight cord.

Last edited by leweee; 07-27-10 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 05:47 AM
stevetone

Bikes: Specialized Rock Hopper, Felt F-70, lemond Buenos Aires, Trek T900 Tandem, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
do kids these days take any science in school? geez.
Old 07-27-10, 06:10 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by leweee
This thread needs a few gallons of prop wash & a few yards of flight cord.
That's flight line. What you are looking for is wing cord.
Old 07-27-10, 07:36 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have an old JATO rocket mounted to my rear rack, I bet I hit 60mph!
Old 07-27-10, 07:50 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
That's flight line. What you are looking for is wing cord.
That's wing chord.
Old 07-27-10, 08:12 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5893 Post(s)
Liked 2,755 Times in 1,538 Posts
I think that what your describing would fall into the class of perpetual motion machines. It takes energy to propel a vehicle, and in the case of a bicycle you're the main source of that energy. You can also "borrow" free energy on a short term basis riding down hill, but you'll have to replace it riding back up. You can also get energy from the wind, which is how sailboats work, but like a sailboat you can't use the wind to propel you directly into it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-27-10, 08:14 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
That's wing chord.
Yes, I know but spelling it correctly would have ruined the pun.
Old 07-27-10, 09:11 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2954 Post(s)
Liked 2,985 Times in 1,522 Posts
didn't Wyle E Cyote have something like that? I do hope Well Biked is puling our collective leg.

wing Chord? are we going to start discussing the Arm and Moment of our bikes now too?

"This thread needs a few gallons of prop wash & a few yards of flight cord."

spoken like a true Airedale

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 07-27-10 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-27-10, 09:22 AM
BCRider

I was just listening to a string of whing chords last night. A very nice sounding effect it was too...

FBinNY, sailing directly into the wind IS possible with a prop as the power source. Much like the boat with two props mentioned above I've also seen reports of little cars using propellers as windmills to power wheels that can move the car directly against the wind.

The key in both the car's and boat's case is to set the blades to a very high angle. This acts like a reduction gear so the wind energy picked up does not come with the added cost of too much drag. Then the energy picked up is transferred to the water prop or wheels. The reason this "picking yourself up by your own bootstraps" contraption works is because there's little or no slip for the water prop and wheels and the effective "gearing reduction" by using the prop with a high pitch angle. If the prop were to use a very flat low pitch angle or if the driving medium (the water or floor) where more lossy or slippery in the same way that the air is then the story would be very different.
Old 07-27-10, 09:49 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
how about a jet bike?
Old 07-27-10, 09:53 AM
Bikewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As the fellow said, "In Physics, there is no such thing as a free lunch." There were some folks marketing a motor-driven caged fan (or more properly,a propellor) that could be used to provide extra thrust for cyclists, roller-bladers, and so forth.
The whole thing mounted on a back-pack.
Old 07-27-10, 10:01 AM
BCRider

IGH, do you know if they ever tried that thing? In model airplanes a class of speed flying used pulsejets like that one and they were both horrendously noisy and quite powerful for their size. The one on that bike should be strong enough to push the thing fast enough that the rider would certainly not be able to hold on. But maybe that's OK since they are also so thirsty that the fuel tanks shown would only be good for about a minute anyway. Either way I'd love to see a video of it and then to lay flowers of respect or condolence at the grave of the nutbar that they found to ride it....
Old 07-27-10, 10:40 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It runs:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.