Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for 700c Road Tire

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 03:54 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts

I'm new to the 700c tandem world (just upgraded from a 1995 Santana with 26" wheels) and am looking for recommendations for road tires.

Our loaded weight is about 425#.

Any favorite tires and ones to stay away from?

TIA
Old 04-08-24, 04:35 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 277 Posts
Schwalbe lists their tires with info on rolling resistance, maximum load resistance to flats ect.
Old 04-08-24, 04:42 PM
TobyGadd

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
There are SO many tires to choose from! Your choice should cater to your priorities: durability, speed, puncture resistance, comfort, riding conditions & surface, frame compatibility, rim width, tubeless, etc. That said, I have two different wheelsets on my road tandem: Everyday (Continental Gator Hardshell 32mm with basic tubes), and fast (Continental Grand Prix 5000 32mm with TPU tubes).

According to recent research, wider tires are generally faster and more comfortable--just make sure that your frame and forks can accommodate them. Stiffer tires are generally more durable, but they are slower. Slicks are better for pavement, but not great in gravel. Treads are better in gravel, but slow and noisy on pavement. Expensive tires generally either have lower rolling resistance or higher puncture resistance, while cheap tires usually have neither. Tubes are slower than tubeless, but require more maintenance (topping up sealant, especially during warm months).
Old 04-08-24, 05:16 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TobyGadd
There are SO many tires to choose from! "snip" .
So true!! I spent about 20 minutes looking at the Schwalbe site (which is nice and pretty but useless unless you already know what you are looking for) and didn't find anything with a load capacity of greater than 210# which would be right at the weight limit.

My first priority is safety, so I don't want to overload the tires.

I've had good luck with the Conti 5000's (and other Contis) on my single. Is your overall weight near ours (425#)?

Last edited by PromptCritical; 04-08-24 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-09-24, 12:30 PM
TobyGadd

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
So true!! I spent about 20 minutes looking at the Schwalbe site (which is nice and pretty but useless unless you already know what you are looking for) and didn't find anything with a load capacity of greater than 210# which would be right at the weight limit.

My first priority is safety, so I don't want to overload the tires.

I've had good luck with the Conti 5000's (and other Contis) on my single. Is your overall weight near ours (425#)?
I've never found a specific weight limit for Continental's tires, but I know that at least Co-Motion Cycles and Cannondale have used them on their new tandems--so I assume that someone has done some testing. My wife and I are about 300 pounds, plus clothes, gear, food, water, and bike. In the 6 or so years that we've been riding our tandems, we've never had an issue with tires. But if you find anything about weight limits, please post it!
Old 04-09-24, 01:28 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 277 Posts
PromptCritical Posted: My first priority is safety, so I don't want to overload the tires.
What width tire are you aiming for using on your tandem. The Schwalbe site is very useful for those with experience. You may need to do some trial and error with tires. I purchased a Burly Bongo mountain bike Tandem in 1990. I have used some tires that didn't hold up to over inflation and the weight of two riders. The internet wasn't a thing back then either. From my experiences I would say the continental and Schwalbe tires will be safe with over inflation if you go as wide as the bicycle will allow.