Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any good "day-after-retirement ride" stories?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 04:00 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I'm retiring very, very soon and looking for ideas. Did you go epic or head for the pie store? Seriously, for those of you retired, any interesting stories related to that "day after" ride? Or were the "honey do's" so stacked up that your first ride was 14 days after?
Old 10-21-13, 05:56 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Nope.
Retired 18 years ago and can't remember back that far!
Old 10-21-13, 06:59 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
The only story I have is a motorcycle story. On my last day of work (June 1st, 2001) I was using my Ducati to finish my business in New London, CT. It was my last hour of work when I headed back to my office to close up shop. As I was riding down a city street at about 20 mph some guy in a Civic pulled out of a parking lot and broadsided my bike. Knocked me on the ground. The Ducati suffered a bent frame and was totaled. The Civic driver got a ticket and I got a neck injury and was carted off to the local hospital. I was scheduled to go off on a cross country motorcycle trip with friends on June 15th. Now I had no bike and a sore but not structurally damaged neck. The next day or so I started looking for Ducatis I could buy. By June 15th I had another Ducati and made the trip. It was a great two weeks on the road.
Old 10-21-13, 09:09 PM
rdtompki

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
The only story I have is a motorcycle story. On my last day of work (June 1st, 2001) I was using my Ducati to finish my business in New London, CT. It was my last hour of work when I headed back to my office to close up shop. As I was riding down a city street at about 20 mph some guy in a Civic pulled out of a parking lot and broadsided my bike. Knocked me on the ground. The Ducati suffered a bent frame and was totaled. The Civic driver got a ticket and I got a neck injury and was carted off to the local hospital. I was scheduled to go off on a cross country motorcycle trip with friends on June 15th. Now I had no bike and a sore but not structurally damaged neck. The next day or so I started looking for Ducatis I could buy. By June 15th I had another Ducati and made the trip. It was a great two weeks on the road.
A happy ending to what could have been really unfortunate; and a memorable retirement-celebratory trip. I'm going to buy a mountain bike. Hopefully, I don't break my neck the first time I go off road.
Old 10-21-13, 09:11 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Not quite the "day after", but close enough I retired for the second and almost last time on May 31st , and on June 12th my wife and I were in Lisbon, Portugal starting a 3, 000 mile, 3- month bike ride through Europe.

A lot more fun than my 1st retirement in 2001. I retired the day before Labor Day weekend, had a wisdom tooth pulled on Friday and started a new job on Tuesday!

Last edited by Doug64; 10-21-13 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-22-13, 09:45 AM
mystang52

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite; Cannondale Quick 4

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Would you take a "day after retirement run " story? My retirement was March 4. As I did while working, got up at 4:45 AM and went to the Y pool for my 1/3 mile swim. Then drove back to the train station, watched the commuters get on my formerly regular train. Had breakfast at coffee shop. 10:30 AM went for a 5 mile run and couldn't help but notice the streets were bare of cars and pedestrians.
It was a great day!
Old 10-22-13, 11:09 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My ride was on the day I retired. The manager upset me and I had 4 days holiday left so I went home in the van- collected my bike- changed into my cycling gear and left. 30 miles home on a reasonable weather day and it was the start of the rest of my life. Didn't put in any startling speeds or slaughter the hills but it put me in the right frame of mind to be able to start relaxing and do the things I wanted to do- when I wanted and how I wanted.

Best day I ever had at work.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-22-13, 12:56 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I did a metric century the day after I retired. Nothing like traveling around Europe on a bike, but it was a great ride, nonetheless.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 10-22-13, 01:45 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
The day after I retired from my business after 30 years of running it, I went for a 30 mile "Ride into the rising sun" ride. Headed out the door at sun up and rode straight into the sun. Best ride of my life and will never forget it. For almost two years I have been replicating that ride each morning. Truly felt liberated and the world looked so different and peaceful viewing it without the stress of worrying what was going on back at the shop. I was happy for the first time in a very long time.
Within a week I was working for someone doing IT work from home (big change from running a bike shop!) and have mornings to myself. Love it. Can't wait to be fully retired in 15 years (age 70). Then I will ride all day, every day.
Old 10-22-13, 01:58 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
My ride was on the day I retired. The manager upset me and I had 4 days holiday left so I went home in the van- collected my bike- changed into my cycling gear and left. 30 miles home on a reasonable weather day and it was the start of the rest of my life. Didn't put in any startling speeds or slaughter the hills but it put me in the right frame of mind to be able to start relaxing and do the things I wanted to do- when I wanted and how I wanted.

Best day I ever had at work.
Perfect.
Old 10-22-13, 03:48 PM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
My retirement day came unexpectedly with a lay off. Went home, packed a bag, grabbed the folder and 30 minutes later was making a 20 hour drive to Montana to visit a great friend. Somewhere along the way I realized the job had lasted 3 years longer than planned. Calm set in.
Time is short, enjoy.
Old 10-22-13, 03:53 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I officially retired in 2009. The only thing I remember was when I left for my first retirement ride was that there were no deadlines and I could head home when I was ready.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-23-13, 06:49 AM
rdtompki

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I officially retired in 2009. The only thing I remember was when I left for my first retirement ride was that there were no deadlines and I could head home when I was ready.
I'm really looking forward to the scheduling flexibility. I can do an occasional all-day club ride on Saturday, get the horses out on Sunday and have the week to do my "chores" of which there are many. Or, I can do a long ride on any day of the week that makes sense. Plus, I don't have to deal with all the BS at work; 47 years of working for a living is quite enough. The sweet smell of freedom.
Old 10-23-13, 07:30 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
The day after I retired from my business after 30 years of running it, I went for a 30 mile "Ride into the rising sun" ride. Headed out the door at sun up and rode straight into the sun. Best ride of my life and will never forget it. For almost two years I have been replicating that ride each morning. Truly felt liberated and the world looked so different and peaceful viewing it without the stress of worrying what was going on back at the shop. I was happy for the first time in a very long time.
Within a week I was working for someone doing IT work from home (big change from running a bike shop!) and have mornings to myself. Love it. Can't wait to be fully retired in 15 years (age 70). Then I will ride all day, every day.
Most my friends that run bike shops cannot ride while they are employed. Ironic (sad?) that they have to retire to get some real riding in!
Old 10-23-13, 07:46 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I'll let you know when I turn 93. Probably won't be retiring before that
Old 10-23-13, 08:28 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Thread drift.
My dad thought he would never retire, but his health forced him into it. Yes, he lived to work because he got such rewards from his job. Once he was there, he realized retirement was not so bad and in fact appreciated the time it gave him to reconnect with his wife and us kids. He died after 15 years in retirement with us knowing him better than when we lived in the same house with him. Use your time wisely. Ride more.
End of thread drift.
Old 10-29-13, 07:07 PM
brickster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I retired on January 1, 2013, trained for 3000 miles in January through April and then did a supported ride from Los Angeles to Boston, 3435 miles. Retirement made it possible. A big old withdrawal from the deferred gratification account. Enjoy it, it is an amazing time of life where you set your horizons and possibilities.
Old 10-29-13, 08:40 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
I'm retiring very, very soon and looking for ideas. Did you go epic or head for the pie store? Seriously, for those of you retired, any interesting stories related to that "day after" ride? Or were the "honey do's" so stacked up that your first ride was 14 days after?
People retire?
Old 10-29-13, 08:47 PM
rdtompki

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by howeeee
People retire?
Yes. This Thursday in my case.
Old 10-30-13, 12:34 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by howeeee
People retire?

If I had my choice again I would not retire. It is too much like hard work. All those chores you have put off for the last year or so and the things you- your wife and neighbours find for you to do.

So instead of retiring-Find something else to do.

Spike Milligan
Old 10-30-13, 01:53 AM
otg 

Bikes: I've lost my mind!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My retirement is looming, June of 2014. I'm planning to ride into work that day, first and only time. I work nights, get out at 2:30 AM. I'll leave early on my last day to ride home in daylight. Counting the days. Heading to Maine two weeks after i retire to ride in the hills around Rangely.
Old 10-30-13, 06:34 AM
sail

Bikes: Yep

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Old 10-30-13, 07:20 AM
rdtompki

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
..... So instead of retiring-Find something else to do.
I have something to do about 1/2 time. I'm going to have to be more efficient after I retire to juggle a 1/2 time job, more honey-do's and cycling, but it will be a high class problem
Old 10-30-13, 02:01 PM
Smogsteve

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Specilized Roubaix Pro, Schwinn Paramount 1971, trek Remedy, AMP Mtn bike, Cannondale R700, Ibis hardtail,other old bikes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I retired on March 1 of this year. I had to go back to Strava to remember where I rode that day. It looks like a nice 35 mile solo ride. Fast, lots of hills, some good views. a good way to start this next segment of my life.
Old 10-30-13, 02:29 PM
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The great thing about retirement is that, for the most part, you can do what you want when you want. For me that means biking long and short rides depending on how I feel, how the weather is and where I am. While I have not been to Europe I have biked in New Orleans, Maine, Florida, and once in Aruba. Wherever I visit I try to plan to ride. In January I will be visiting a friend and riding buddy in Florida, April means New Orleans again and who knows what else? Have I mentioned that I love retirement ?