Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Would you ride on these roads? 55-60mph?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-18, 08:48 PM
Awaqa909

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live near Austin, TX. The roads that I would have to commute on are 55-60mph on the high side. I believe they all have big shoulders, besides the one my work is on, but that one has a side walk. The roads I would have to use are US 79... which might be a highway? Limmer Loop or Chandler Rd/University Blvd . I'm just trying to figure out if it's even safe to commute on these roads, before looking too much into bicycles. My commute would be 20-22 miles round trip. I used to see bicyclists every once in a while on Chandler/University.

Thanks,
Awaqa909
Old 11-10-18, 09:41 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Awaqa909
I live near Austin, TX. The roads that I would have to commute on are 55-60mph on the high side. I believe they all have big shoulders, besides the one my work is on, but that one has a side walk. The roads I would have to use are US 79... which might be a highway? Limmer Loop or Chandler Rd/University Blvd . I'm just trying to figure out if it's even safe to commute on these roads, before looking too much into bicycles. My commute would be 20-22 miles round trip. I used to see bicyclists every once in a while on Chandler/University.

Thanks,
Awaqa909
Accidents can happen anywhere. What is your comfort level riding a bike?
Old 11-10-18, 09:42 PM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Pushbikes are best on country lanes not urban highways.
Old 11-10-18, 10:12 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Glancing on those roads on googlemaps, they look fine to me. May take a bit to get used to high speed traffic if you haven't ridden such roads before, but those shoulders would meet my standards. I generally wouldn't ride roads like that without shoulders.
Old 11-10-18, 11:52 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I commute 60km roundtrip with 38 of it on a highway. I have a wide shoulder although I generally ride within about 3 ft of the fog line to minimize flats from the debris in the shoulder. I find most cars and trucks are considerate and move to the left side of their lane so give me plenty of room. One advantage of the highway is there are very few access points so limited opportunity to get hit from someone turning onto or off of the highway. Not everyone is comfortable on the hwy but I like it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.0642...7i13312!8i6656
Old 11-11-18, 02:00 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
We have to see the road Timmy.
Old 11-11-18, 05:45 AM
jollynut

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably not.
Old 11-11-18, 07:50 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
If there were alternate routes, no, even if the commute was a bit longer. If no alternates, then maybe. I would first do a reconnaissance ride of the route during a low traffic period (like a weekend morning). You'll gain a lot of information about condition of the shoulder, how the intersections are set up. Google street view shows the routes to have great sight lines and wide shoulders so that's a plus. Google plus also shows that there are a number of low density county roads that look like good possibilities.

Again, the only way to truly assess is to get on a bike and ride the routes. I take it that you do not yet have a bike? Perhaps borrow or rent one then.
Old 11-11-18, 09:33 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Awaqa909

Thanks,
Awaqa909
Your info says you joined in 2014, so I'm gonna assume you currently own a bike and ride, or have ridden on a semi-regular basis. If not, rent or borrow a bike, or buy a cheap "hoopty" (which can be resold, or become a backup bike).

While it is useful to get the opinions of others (which you have done), only you can make the final decision, as everyone has different comfort levels.

As usual, I advise getting a glasses or helmet mounted mirror so you can easily see behind as easily as in a car. While most of my commute routes have adequate shoulders, other rides take me along stretches no shoulders, or un-rideable shoulders. In those cases, as long as I can pull over and stop when a line of cars is approaching, I feel safe. If that happens too often, then that wouldn;t be a good route for me as it would add too much time.

Not knowing exactly where you are riding, I took a quick look at the roads you mentioned, and some have very generous shoulders, some, not so much. As far as the sidewalk, I am a firm believer in using them if they are the safest alternative for a stretch of road. Of course, that's if it's permitted and there are few or no pedestrians. When there are pedestrians, I ring my bell early, slow down and either take the grass around them, or straddlethe bike and walk past them.

Distance-wise your commute is very doable for most rider.

You also may have the option of taking a less direct route which may add a mile or two, but that is only 5-10 minutes extra, and if it means less traffic, it will be safer and more pleasant.
Old 11-11-18, 11:34 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
If the shoulder is kept reasonably clean, I would do it. Shoulders in Louisiana get "cleaned" by the wind created by passing vehicles and rain storms. So I would have to add some Marathon Plus tires or something puncture resistant. Are there rumbles strips? Our highways have rumble strips placed EXACTLY where wind from passing cars do the best job of cleaning the shoulder 18"-24" outside the fog line. At least the rumble strips let me know if someone drifted over behind me while looking at their phone or plucking their eyebrows.
Old 11-11-18, 06:59 PM
b_young
Support JDRF

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I live in rural Arkansas. That's what I mainly ride on. Most have good shoulders, some only have a white line. 99% of the people are courteous and give plenty of room. There will always be the 1 or 2 that make you tense up. I like lots of lights. Everything I have heard about biking in Austin has been positive. It seems to be a great place to ride.
Old 11-11-18, 11:30 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
On the shoulders, I'd be absolutely comfortable on those hwys. On some of my bike-camping trips into East Texas, the Farm Roads I was on lost their shoulders for a few miles and that was a bit unnerving, at times. I would recommend a rearview mirror--if for no other reason, it gives you some extra peace of mind in keeping an eye on approaching traffic.
Old 11-12-18, 12:02 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Tamiya
Pushbikes are best on country lanes not urban highways.
Just wondering how you know or why you think the OP is using a pushbike? What did I miss?
Old 11-12-18, 12:37 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Originally Posted by MAK
Just wondering how you know or why you think the OP is using a pushbike? What did I miss?
Assumption made since OP mentioned "bicyclists" in paragraph.

But you're right, on occasion some do mistake here as the HOG forums too, dunno why!
Old 11-12-18, 10:05 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
If there were alternate routes, no, even if the commute was a bit longer. If no alternates, then maybe. I would first do a reconnaissance ride of the route during a low traffic period (like a weekend morning). You'll gain a lot of information about condition of the shoulder, how the intersections are set up. Google street view shows the routes to have great sight lines and wide shoulders so that's a plus. Google plus also shows that there are a number of low density county roads that look like good possibilities.

Again, the only way to truly assess is to get on a bike and ride the routes. I take it that you do not yet have a bike? Perhaps borrow or rent one then.
+1

Individuals vary greatly as to how much traffic they can tolerate. I seem to tolerate traffic a lot better than some people. It's kind of funny listening to some people on long-ish tours complain about trucks blowing by their elbow at 70 mph, when I didn't notice them because they were across the rumble strip and I was on the far side of the shoulder. How do these people prepare for a week of 60-70 mile rides?

One of my commute routes has 4 miles of wide-shoulder highway, and it's a great ride when the shoulders are clean (about twice a year). It was a tough call when my normal route was milled up for repaving and left that way to season for 6 weeks, and the highway shoulders gave me three flats in a month.
Old 11-12-18, 12:59 PM
KraneXL

First, its illegal to ride in the shoulder, so that should never be an option. Second, would you ride 1 mile on the high-speed road or 4 miles out of your way?
Old 11-12-18, 01:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I think I wouldn’t ride that daily.

If I did, I would totally ride on the shoulder, and spare not a moment’s worry whether it was legal.
Old 11-12-18, 01:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
nah
Old 11-12-18, 01:57 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I don't commute but every road that actually leads out of my immediate area on to other surrounding areas is a state highway with posted speeds of 55, actual speeds 70. Even the side arteries in the surrounding area are typically marked as 35 and it's absolutely normal to see 60+ on them as well. I quit riding most of them due to distracted driving and an increasing awareness of my mortality.
Old 11-12-18, 02:24 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
Google earth snapshot of a representative portion of road would help (so people don't have to go look it up)

What's a "fog line" -- never seen that term before, and it's in this thread twice!
Old 11-12-18, 02:43 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
Just wondering how you know or why you think the OP is using a pushbike?
Maybe because he raised the question on a forum about bicycles, aka pushbikes to distinguish them from motorbikes.
Old 11-12-18, 03:30 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
These roads suck coming in and out of our Texas cities from outlying areas, everything under constant development. Chandler looks like wider shoulder and possibly slightly less suburb auto traffic from the google map images I viewed.
Old 11-12-18, 04:46 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 2,533 Posts
2nd pic looks ok with the wider shoulder, 1st pic looks scary. Then again at least 1st pic has a passing lane in the middle so cars are more likely to scoot over.

I would want some over-the-top rear lighting/reflectivity going on. Powerful red blinky (cygolite hotshot is great), DOT-grade reflective tape, safety vest?, reflective bits on moving parts (ankle straps? pedals? spokes?)

Maybe also investigate 3foot ben-hur spikes for your wheels, so the cars stay away to protect their paint jobs.

Just joking; in TX I imagine a passive-aggressive move like that will get you attacked by a drunk-driving redneck in a brodozer
Old 11-12-18, 06:44 PM
KraneXL

Daytime running lights and multiple (daylight) rear flashers so you can be seen a mile away should keep anyone from inadvertently running up on you. An entire lane for legal passing.
Old 11-12-18, 06:59 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Google earth snapshot of a representative portion of road would help (so people don't have to go look it up)

What's a "fog line" -- never seen that term before, and it's in this thread twice!
White line on the right side of the road

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.