Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Gas generator powered ebike with AC motor?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Gas generator powered ebike with AC motor?

Old 08-23-18, 01:27 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4219 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
It's interesting to see what people can come up with.
Old 09-01-18, 09:55 AM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
I’m not poking fun but I was wondering if steam could somehow be adapted.Then I realized the water would be free but heating the water and keeping the frame shielded from the frame are things to ponder but definitely doable.Trike or quadracycle would be a great starting platform.
Old 09-01-18, 10:17 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 7up
I’m not poking fun but I was wondering if steam could somehow be adapted.Then I realized the water would be free but heating the water and keeping the frame shielded from the frame are things to ponder but definitely doable.Trike or quadracycle would be a great starting platform.
Sure why not? Google "Live Steam" for more information on small steam engines, many of which have more than enough power for a small truck.
Old 06-05-19, 03:59 AM
Angeou

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Basically, an AC motor is a type of motor that is operated by an alternating current. It has two basic parts. First is a stationary stator and another is rotor. You can try anyway, but not suggest to do that. Generator is gasoline generator or gas generator?
Old 06-06-19, 08:23 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
A generator doesn't have to be anywhere near the power of the motor, as it's working constantly.
It does have to be adequate voltage though, so it can reach a reasonable amount of the battery's capacity.

I'd need one that kicks out 50-55v but it only needs to be able to supply about 10 amps.
Old 06-09-19, 03:11 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by nfmisso
Sure why not? Google "Live Steam" for more information on small steam engines, many of which have more than enough power for a small truck.
I have tinkered a bit with steam and have come to the conclusion that it is just too dangerous for a bike. It just moves out of my comfort zone. However, it might not be a bad idea on a trailer. However, it would be hard to monitor and control. However, for the joy of doing something that is seldom done, it could be worth it.

The same applies to the OP idea, it is terribly impractical. However, if the purpose of doing it is to do it, it would be a fun project. This subforum is filled with people who are on similar paths, yet may have very different destinations.