Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Need advice

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Need advice

Old 06-26-19, 01:40 PM
EMT82

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need advice

I told my daughter who recently Learned to ride that I would get a bike and ride with her. I thought I wanted a mountain bike but thought I’d probably be riding paved paths and roads more often so decided maybe a hybrid. I’ve noticed a lot of people talk about bikesdirect and wondered compared to one of those bikes, would the Giant Escape 2 be a good bike to start out on. They want $550 for it at the LBS and told me as long as I owned the bike that tune ups would be free. Normally charge $70. I would share a link, but I’m new and it won’t let me.
Old 06-26-19, 02:01 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
I have Shimano Altus shifters on my bike (similar to that Giant) and can tell you they work well.

I posted a longer post here: https://www.bikeforums.net/20989270-post15.html
Old 06-26-19, 02:27 PM
EMT82

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
I have Shimano Altus shifters on my bike (similar to that Giant) and can tell you they work well.
Thanks. I’m just having a hard time spending so much. I know it’s not a lot for a good bike, but to me that’s a big chunk. Any comparable bikes on bikes direct that have same or similar features that you know of?
Old 06-26-19, 02:47 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Look around on Craigslist in your area to see if there are any used bikes that are more reasonably priced.

People OFTEN buy a new bike, ride it 100 miles, and sell it 2 years later.

You can find some really good deals.

But you take on the risk of buying a beat up POS. Here's a guide on some things to look out for when buying a used bike
https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...what-look.html

If you are really tall this might be a problem as you'd want a larger bike and there is a limited supply of those on Craigslist. If you are normal height you should have a lot to choose from.

It won't have free tune ups. But if it costs $300 total, who cares?
Old 06-26-19, 03:59 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

What do you think of the Fuji Absolute 2.3 or the Raleigh Cadent 1? I went to look at bikesdirect and Nashbar and found the selection rather odd to be honest. Maybe wait until the first week of July, prices are starting to get marked down.
Old 06-26-19, 04:05 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
If money is tight, and you are relatively mechanical, then there are quite a few good used bikes available.

Likewise, the "free tuneups" only count if:

1) You need the service.
2) You're actually riding the bike regularly.
Old 06-26-19, 06:25 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Yeah, there are videos on Youtube that show you how to install and adjust bicycle parts. I haven't done it yet but I wanted to make a Youtube video on how I modified a department store bike for winter/rain riding. But, I'll admit that was with a bike with an acceptable frame that was able to take a standard 68mm BSA square taper bottom bracket. I was willing to pay way more for a winter bike but instead bought a real cheap one then changed some parts to make it more acceptable. There are Alivio groupsets on eBay for $60.
Old 06-27-19, 08:26 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
It's been my experience that if you get a used bike off Craigslist of instance, you will need to have it tuned up and if you buy a cheep bike from lets say Walmart you will need to have it tuned up. If you intend to ride with your child for a few years and also ride for yourself then a $500.00 bike with maintenance is a worth while investment in my opinion. But if this is something you will never be farther than twenty minutes from your home and you can walk home when/if you have a problem a used/cheep bike might be what you might want. You need to understand where you are asking this question. Most people here are not your casual riders so we have a tendency to look at the bike as an extension of our lives so understand our replies. I realize this is not any help on choosing a bike but hopefully it is some help to your state of mind concerning your purchase.
Best of luck, Frank.