Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Tom Kellogg Ross / Spectrum, one of a kind ??

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 08:47 PM
FSU421

Bikes: A bunch of Cannondales, and a Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello all,
Curious as to what you all think of this bike. I emailed Tom Kellogg (his reply is in the pics) and this is how I interpret his response: this bike started life in 1981 as a reddish colored Ross Model 210 built by Tom, later after Tom had joined Spectrum the owner of the bike wanted it to be a Spectrum. Tom obliged since he built it originally, and the bike was refinished as a green Spectrum with no particular model # since it’s not really a Spectrum. It was given a new DA 7400 group set around that time I imagine. There are some bad spots in the pain, the drive side chain stay, the front derailleur clamp point, and a few other small ones. I included pics of all those. I also have a bunch of pics here https://www.flickr.com/photos/fsu421/ and I’ll continue to add more as the project continues. Thanks in advance for any helpful comments!
Old 06-24-19, 08:49 PM
FSU421

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello all,
Curious as to what you all think of this bike. I emailed Tom Kellogg (his reply is in the pics) and this is how I interpret his response: this bike started life in 1981 as a reddish colored Ross Model 210 built by Tom, later after Tom had joined Spectrum the owner of the bike wanted it to be a Spectrum. Tom obliged since he built it originally, and the bike was refinished as a green Spectrum with no particular model # since it’s not really a Spectrum. It was given a new DA 7400 group set around that time I imagine. There are some bad spots in the pain, the drive side chain stay, the front derailleur clamp point, and a few other small ones. I included pics of all those. I also have a bunch of pics here https://www.flickr.com/photos/fsu421/ and I’ll continue to add more as the project continues. Thanks in advance for any helpful comments!
Old 06-24-19, 08:50 PM
FSU421

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry about the randomness, my phone is not cooperating with this page.....
Old 06-25-19, 04:13 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
I think it's a very nice bike with a cool backstory!
Old 06-29-19, 10:13 PM
mightymax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Was this on Chicago CL recently? If yes I think I saw it. If not I am losing my mind as I swear I saw an ad for a Kellog frame. Anyway it is great you could authenticate this with the man himself.

Two weekends ago I finally found a Ross Signature 290S in my size at a great price. Had to drive 5 hours round trip to purchase it but I am glad I got it. Took the Wife and made a day out of it.
I have not had time to get it roadworthy yet but look forward to it. The seller was the original owner and said he rode it thousands of miles. He kept very good care of it! His parting question to me was "Why I wanted a Ross?" I told him I ride 80's steel bikes that I pick up here and there. The bikes I would of loved to have back then but Dad couldn't afford. I buy one here and there and Ross had that dept. store crap reputation but also had a few nice ones and the 290S was a nice one. I simply wanted a nice Ross, and I assured him it would be taken care of!

Max Bryant
Old 06-30-19, 05:58 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked 2,236 Times in 1,050 Posts
I hope this thread doesn't get derailed like your previous thread about this bike.
The frame is currently listed for sale on ebay.
I wish that Tom would have told you what a "model 210" meant.
I'm still holding out hope to have a conversation with Tom and Jeff about the Kellogg-era Ross Signature program, different models, specs, etc. I realize they are super busy, and will be shutting down Spectum in a month. I know (from posts Tom made in the past on other forums), that there were very few Kellogg Ross frames built. I've been somewhat actively compiling as much Kellogg Ross Signature info as I can find.

Max, your 290S is an import, and not a Kellogg (Allentown, PA built) Ross.
Old 06-30-19, 06:55 PM
FSU421

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I emailed Tom again hoping for more details, but as busy as I’m sure he is I feel I’m lucky I got the response I did. I decided to sell the frame set by itself. I have so many bikes and so many projects.... and this frame is a tad big for me. I’m going to sell the DA 7400 group set separately too since it wasn’t original to this bike when it started life in ‘81 as a Ross. If I get another response from Tom I’ll share it; regardless of whether I’ve sold the frame or not.
Old 06-30-19, 08:20 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Is this an appraisal thread or a discussion of an interesting frame?

This is the listing on eBay at $1249.99 for frame, HS, BB, bar and stem apparently:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Tom-Ke...YAAOSwtRRdFEN9

Last edited by bikemig; 06-30-19 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-07-19, 08:41 PM
mightymax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Max, your 290S is an import, and not a Kellogg (Allentown, PA built) Ross.[/QUOTE]

Yes Ebay was probably where I saw this frame being offered.

I know my 290S was probably nothing kellog or even Redcay ever really had anything to do with, but I am still happy with having one. Just a handsome bike in its dark cherry red and silver finish.
Max B.