Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy new hybrid, Cannondale Quick 1 good choice?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-19, 09:41 PM
thankschub

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I turn 70 next month and would like to treat myself to a new bike. I'm plenty fit, still work a fairly physical job 6 days a week. It seems a hybrid would suit me at this stage of the game and so far have done a lot of internet research on what is available.
I keep coming back to the Cannondale Quick 1 as a well speced bike with good value. Any comments on this bike or other recommendations on similar rigs would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-13-19, 06:53 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I can only speak to the Quick line as I do not ride any other brands. I first bought a Quick 7 and after a few months I wanted more of a road bike flat bar and bought a 3. If I had to do it over again I would have bought the only the Quick 1 and been a very happy camper. The 1 and 3 share the same frame just the components are upgraded on the 1. The 2019 1 has a full carbon fork, mine is a 2018 and had carbon fork blades. From my experience the difference between my 7 with metal fork and the carbon blades is very noticeable and well worth the upgrade by itself. The full carbon fork can only be as good if not better for vibration absorption. I am 70 and live in a very hilly area so the rear cogs on the 3 were not as old knee friendly as I would have liked so I had them swapped out for a lower hill climb gear with the same high speed gear for the few flats I have here. I rode a Giant Escape and thought it was a nice bike but the frame geometry just was not for me, same with the Trek. Again, a nice bike but just not for me. The Quick line fits me but I would strongly suggest you ride one and others before you spend your money. As a side note, I think the carbon version of the Quick is a great bike just not for me as I can not justify that outlay of money at my age for a performance potential I will never be able to realize.
Good luck and let us know what you end up with, Frank.

This is the day I brought home the 3. I have made a saddle, rear gear set, and stem change since this photo was taken.

Last edited by Helderberg; 07-13-19 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-13-19, 08:28 AM
thankschub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks very much for your reply Frank. I live in southern Florida and have access to pretty much all brands, so I will test ride a few. It is encouraging to know that you are pleased with the Quick line. Your photo is very helpful also.
Thanks again, Steve.
Old 07-13-19, 09:18 AM
Beavis5220

Bikes: 2020 BMC Alpenchallenge 2017 BMC Alpenchallenge

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
fantastic bike shop in Miami area:

https://www.alexbicycles.com/
Old 07-13-19, 09:42 AM
thankschub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Beavis5220, they are a 30 minute ride from me. The BMC line is one I had not considered and will now investigate.
Old 07-13-19, 06:57 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
What about a Specialized Sirrus?
Old 07-13-19, 08:23 PM
thankschub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A very good bike shop near me carries Sirrus and for a few reasons I would prefer to buy from them. However, I would prefer an aluminum frame with Shimano 105 components and Specialized does not offer one. In fact, to get 105 on a Sirrus the least expensive offering is the Sirrus Expert Carbon at $2100. I still plan on visiting them to check things out. The Sirrus X Comp Carbon is interesting to me.
Old 07-14-19, 07:22 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Another option is buying the bike you want, and upgrading the components later. If you want 105, but would prefer it on a $1,000 Sirrus (for example), you could just buy the $1,000 Sirrus and replace the components with a 105 group. The total cost of that swap would probably be in the neighborhood of $300-500, depending on how many of the parts you replace and whether or not you did it yourself or had the bike shop do it.
Old 07-14-19, 07:52 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

I posted earlier but I was remiss for not including that this forum is not real supportive of Cannondale Quick models. Very few of us here but do not read this as I feel the other brands are not good. I think it makes more sense to buy the bike you want with the components you want and have a manufactures warranty on said bike weather it is a Trek, Giant or what ever you decide fits you best. If you haven't yet, try to get some time on a Giant. I found them to be a good value for the money and a well laid out bike. Again, just not a fit for me. Good luck and get some seat time before you buy.
Frank.
Old 07-14-19, 12:29 PM
GravelGurty

Bikes: '97 Raleigh C-200 '19 Specialized Sirrus X Comp

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by thankschub
The Sirrus X Comp Carbon is interesting to me.
The Cannondale looks like a nice bike, and I'm sure it would be great. But if you are already leaning towards Specialized..
When I was researching new bikes, the X comp really caught my eye with the wider tires, 1x drivetrain, carbon(threaded) frame, and future shock. After almost 2 months with it all of those points are still fantastic. Strongly suggest riding one if you can, they are alot of fun.
Old 07-14-19, 02:18 PM
thankschub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks GravelGurty. The X Comp was on my radar but your endorsement now has it on my list.
Old 07-18-19, 05:32 PM
GravelGurty

Bikes: '97 Raleigh C-200 '19 Specialized Sirrus X Comp

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Any luck on test rides of Cannondale or Specialized yet?
Old 07-18-19, 09:36 PM
thankschub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No test rides yet. I'm kind of waiting to see if any new 2020 models catch my eye. That, and my only day off to go check out bikes in real life is Tuesdays and I have many chores lined out. Oh yeah, and the dog ate my homework. The X Comp has me very interested, though. Thanks.
Old 07-31-19, 07:31 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

Bikes: 18 Cdale Quick 1, 94 S-Works M2, 98 730 Multitrak, and a few others

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 241 Posts
Quick 1 owner here and I really like it. I originally rode a new 2018 Quick 6 and then a friend decided to sell the Quick 1 when she upgraded to a carbon road bike. I got the Quick 1 from her with about 700 miles on it for not much more than the Quick 6. What questions do you have about it?
Old 07-31-19, 08:11 PM
thankschub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for responding Trav1s. I did a lot of internet research on hybrid bicycles and learned that most people liked their Specialized, Giant, and Trek hybrids. I thought the Quick 1 was well done and gave good bang for the buck, but found very little information on what owners thought of them. It now seems that those who have them are quite satisfied like yourself. Thanks again.
Old 08-01-19, 09:52 PM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

I see that someone mentioned this bit of info on the Quick line of bikes - there are two different frames used but I forget the transition point. I know the Quick 1and 3 share the same frame and carbon fork.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I really like the 2 x 11 combo of the Quick 1 but at time wish the larger front sprocket was smaller than the 50 teeth on it. 22 gears is more than enough for me.

When the original tires need replaced, I will be installing a set of 700x32 on my Quick 1 in place of the 700x30s.

I also rode the Trek FX 2 and FX 3 Disc after the Quick 6 but before I purchased the Quick 1. I really liked the FX 3 Disc and that was the bike I intended to purchase. I did not ride any of the FX Sport models due to cost.

Last edited by Trav1s; 08-01-19 at 09:56 PM.
Likes For Trav1s:
Old 08-03-19, 09:10 PM
Helderberg

Another thing I am noticing is that the some of major bike lines, in more than I have noticed in the recent past, are not running a 50 chainring or only running it in the top end bikes. I know that my Quick 7 runs a 48 while my Quick 3 has a 50. Obviously this only effects the top end speed potential if the cogs have an 11 as their base. Just something to be conscious of in regards to what you are looking for in your bike. I bought the 7 first but found the lack of a 50 and a carbon fork was something I wanted to move up to. The 3 was the perfect bike except for my 70 year old knees. Had a 11-36 cog and corresponding RD installed and I am looking at selling the 7 as I do not ride it. Purely my situation but I reference it only to give you some foundation for your thought process. Good luck.
Frank
P/s: The Quick 1 and 3 do share the same frame in 2019. Not sure about the 2020 models.
Old 08-04-19, 06:54 AM
Trav1s
Deraill this!

I, like Helderberg, founding myself noticing more differences than I expected when I tried the various bikes. In my case, there were three things that stood out to me.

First, I was very surprised about the difference the aluminum and carbon fork with the carbon being more forgiving and smoother. I'd say ride two bikes in the series back to back starting with the aluminum fork. If you can tell the difference, then most certainly go for the carbon if budget allows.

Second, it was the difference between rim brakes and discs with the discs being more linear and predictable in response. I'd say ride two bikes in the series back to back starting with rim brakes. Again, if you can tell the difference, then most certainly go for the discs if budget allows. In my case, I'd pick the discs over the carbon fork but find when they are paired together it makes for a significantly improved ride experience.

Finally, I was also surprised by the difference in components. The wisdom of my biking friends taught me the components can be easily upgraded if desired but starting with better components makes for a better riding experience. I really appreciate the Shimano 105 parts on the Quick 1.

Last edited by Trav1s; 08-04-19 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Add to post
Old 08-12-19, 11:12 AM
Churchill

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am currently riding a Quick 4. One thing I would point out that I did not know about prior to purchasing my bike is that the frame on the 4 only allows for one bottle cage. I think if I had known this upfront I would have gone with another brand or possibly bought the medium instead of the small.
Old 08-13-19, 06:56 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by Churchill
I am currently riding a Quick 4. One thing I would point out that I did not know about prior to purchasing my bike is that the frame on the 4 only allows for one bottle cage. I think if I had known this upfront I would have gone with another brand or possibly bought the medium instead of the small.
Is there physical room for another bottle? You can buy strap-on bottle cages that would allow you to bring additional water with you.
Old 08-13-19, 08:36 AM
wyd

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Roll Elite

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts
Just went riding with a friend of mine who has a Quick CX but not sure exactly which model it is but thinking it's the CX 4 version. He really enjoys riding it.
Old 08-13-19, 01:46 PM
Churchill

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Is there physical room for another bottle? You can buy strap-on bottle cages that would allow you to bring additional water with you.
I don't think so, because of my current bottle cage, but possibly with a smaller one.

See picture below.

Apologies for the "noise" in the picture, but didn't have a picture handy showing the frame.
Old 08-13-19, 01:47 PM
Churchill

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Likes For Churchill:
Old 08-13-19, 06:41 PM
hokiefyd 

I see -- yes, that definitely looks tight. You can fit a strap-on bottle cage under the down tube (like the third bottle cage often seen on touring bikes), or you can also get bottle cages designed to clamp to handlebars, for a bottle closer at hand.
Old 08-13-19, 07:50 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
You can also get something like this
https://www.amazon.com/M-Wave-Bike-B.../dp/B00CTPHQTW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.