Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Any southern Florida commuters?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-05, 11:14 PM
dcdude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

im absolutely dreading the coming months in south florida weather wise. hot and humid with rain everyday from late june to september

how do you stand the commute in such weather? arent you absolutely drenched in sweat by the time you get to work?
Old 04-20-05, 11:23 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dcdude
im absolutely dreading the coming months in south florida weather wise. hot and humid with rain everyday from late june to september

how do you stand the commute in such weather? arent you absolutely drenched in sweat by the time you get to work?
I utilize the bus's AC in the mornings (love those racks they have these days) and ride home the whole way in the evening. If it's raining well.... I will admit to wussing out during the afternoon gully washers but for a milder rain I snap on the fenders and go.
Old 04-20-05, 11:40 PM
spider-man
Ferrous wheel

Bikes: 2004 Gunnar Rock Hound MTB; 1988 Gitane Team Pro road bike; 1986-ish Raleigh USA Grand Prix; mid-'80s Univega Gran Tourismo with Xtracycle Free Radical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute in south Louisiana--New Orleans, to be precise. Banana and palm trees everywhere. Sometimes gets so humid the roads are wet even when it hasn't rained. I show up at work in a lather, towel myself dry, change clothes and get to work. Drink plenty o' water.
Old 04-21-05, 10:50 AM
Hemlock

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I shower and ride to work. I dry off and change when I get there, usually give myself a few minutes to cool down and stop sweating first. It hasn't been a problem for me.

Rain in the morning and I might drive to work, but that's really rare in the summer. Rain on the way home I don't care about as I'll just hit the shower when I get there. It's actually nice and cooling. I'll wait out lightning storms, but they are usually over before I leave work anyway.
Old 04-21-05, 01:38 PM
neoz
Just Rockin'

Bikes: Trek 7000 xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only started commuting here in Stuart, Florida last fall, so I haven't dealt with the vicious heat. I am a teacher, and, having the summer off, won't need to commute for much of the heat, I suppose.
Old 04-26-05, 07:31 AM
dcdude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ugh humidity climbed to 70% the other day