Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

New Bike for Wife

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

New Bike for Wife

Old 05-30-18, 12:04 PM
rEVOLVED

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New Bike for Wife

Hey, gang! I've been hanging on the FG/SS side of the forum for a while, and am now looking for a new bike for my wife. She knows how to ride a bike, but that's about as far as her experience goes. I know she wants something with at least 3-7 speeds, and regular hand brakes (not coaster). She doesn't want a road or mountain bike. The last bike we saw that she liked was a Trek, either Verve or FX. Anyway, I think this puts us in the hybrid/commuter type category. I have a rear seat on my mountain bike for our 20 month old, and we need to figure out how to get our 5 month old situated as well. We will likely switch to a regular trailer style thing for the two kids, which I'll haul. I am mainly looking at what I should get for my wife...maybe this should be in a different section of the forum.

I don't want to spend any more money than is necessary. We will be riding on paved multipurpose paths in Phoenix, AZ, which is almost entirely flat. Likely 5-10 miles at a time until she gets in shape for 25-40 mile rides. What recommendations do you all have on the budget side? I'm open to bikes direct, Target, and whatever other options might be out there. Thanks so much!
Old 05-30-18, 08:10 PM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rEVOLVED
Hey, gang! I've been hanging on the FG/SS side of the forum for a while, and am now looking for a new bike for my wife. She knows how to ride a bike, but that's about as far as her experience goes. I know she wants something with at least 3-7 speeds, and regular hand brakes (not coaster). She doesn't want a road or mountain bike. The last bike we saw that she liked was a Trek, either Verve or FX. Anyway, I think this puts us in the hybrid/commuter type category. I have a rear seat on my mountain bike for our 20 month old, and we need to figure out how to get our 5 month old situated as well. We will likely switch to a regular trailer style thing for the two kids, which I'll haul. I am mainly looking at what I should get for my wife...maybe this should be in a different section of the forum.

I don't want to spend any more money than is necessary. We will be riding on paved multipurpose paths in Phoenix, AZ, which is almost entirely flat. Likely 5-10 miles at a time until she gets in shape for 25-40 mile rides. What recommendations do you all have on the budget side? I'm open to bikes direct, Target, and whatever other options might be out there. Thanks so much!
Does the bike have to be new? From your description, a pretty broad range of bikes would fit your needs and the budget is of high priority. With hybrids, people don't tend to use them too heavily and you can find really good deals on Craigslist. I'd just look for anything in the correct size in the correct budget with decent parts on it. Doesn't have to be perfect for cruising around on paths. You'll get more value from buying used I'd say.

On a side note about carrying your 5 month old... Everyone (doctors/manufacturers) would tell you that the minimum age for riding around with a kid in a bike seat is 9-12 months old or so. The only safe way to carry kids that young is fully supported in a car seat with additional suspension, which requires some other method of transport, such as a suspended trailer or front loading box bike/trike. Sorry if this sounds preachy, just wanted to post in case you hadn't considered it already.
Old 05-30-18, 09:23 PM
rEVOLVED

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightdiver
Does the bike have to be new? From your description, a pretty broad range of bikes would fit your needs and the budget is of high priority. With hybrids, people don't tend to use them too heavily and you can find really good deals on Craigslist. I'd just look for anything in the correct size in the correct budget with decent parts on it. Doesn't have to be perfect for cruising around on paths. You'll get more value from buying used I'd say.

On a side note about carrying your 5 month old... Everyone (doctors/manufacturers) would tell you that the minimum age for riding around with a kid in a bike seat is 9-12 months old or so. The only safe way to carry kids that young is fully supported in a car seat with additional suspension, which requires some other method of transport, such as a suspended trailer or front loading box bike/trike. Sorry if this sounds preachy, just wanted to post in case you hadn't considered it already.
Sounds like I'll be looking for something used! Honestly, I REALLY appreciate you chiming in about the safety for my daughter. I would have googled it first, but you just saved me a bunch of research. Appreciate it.
Old 05-31-18, 12:33 AM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
For sure. I have two kids and went through the same process of figuring out how to get them on the bike as soon as possible.
Old 06-04-18, 04:42 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 127 Posts
A bunch of the trailers have an 'infant sling accessory, I had one, now gone.
Old 09-22-18, 06:13 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
Giant has a line of bikes for women called Liv--seems like the Rove model would fit her needs. And when she gets more experienced, and rides more, you wouldn't have to spend money again getting a better bike. https://www.liv-cycling.com/us/bikes-rove