Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Good bike for the $$$?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Good bike for the $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 12:00 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Good bike for the $$$?

For only $375 ...is it a good deal?

https://www.ems.com/marin-nicasio-bi...2.html#start=2
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 04-26-19, 12:39 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Looks like a very good deal for the money.
Old 04-26-19, 01:26 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
For the price, as a commuter; looks like a very good deal.
The geometry looks a little tight. You might want to try one out first
Old 04-26-19, 05:27 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
EMS is known for selling off years'-old bikes at significant discounts. I bought my fixed gear that way through an EMS web sale, picked up at the local retail store.

My only caution is that they are not bike people. So, you'll have to go over the assembly yourself, checking everything. Hub bearings, cable lengths, etc., will be as came in the box.

The bike looks okay for the price. I don't have experience with those calipers. Do you expect to fit fenders to it? Looks like fork clearance is minimal, even with only the Schwalbe 30s on there.

If I were to find that bike as a rental (on vacation, say), I'd ride it with pleasure for a few days. PG
Old 04-26-19, 06:06 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Looks great for that money. Don't know much about sunrace cassettes. I see them fitted to lower down bikes in a range where as higher models keep to Shimano cassettes but wonder how much a downgrade in quality they are but once worn out can be replaced with a higher quality cassette anyway. For me nothing else to mention. I really like Claris and think for most people it is all they need for a reliable low maintenance drivetrain. Pay more if you don't like such big jumps between the gears but I personally don't care about those jumps.
Old 04-26-19, 06:09 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
I can't tell if it has QR or thru axle. I wouldn't want discs with QR, regardless of price. Otherwise, looks like a deal.
Old 04-26-19, 11:04 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I'd say so.
Old 04-27-19, 05:22 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
Looks great for that money. Don't know much about sunrace cassettes. I see them fitted to lower down bikes in a range where as higher models keep to Shimano cassettes but wonder how much a downgrade in quality they are but once worn out can be replaced with a higher quality cassette anyway. For me nothing else to mention. I really like Claris and think for most people it is all they need for a reliable low maintenance drivetrain. Pay more if you don't like such big jumps between the gears but I personally don't care about those jumps.
I've had great experiences with SunRace cassettes. I'd almost say smoother shifting for 8 and 9 speed than Shimano at this point.

And I'm still on 8sp 105 (SL-1056 shifters, BL-1055 brake levers, 1055 RD...) My wife is running 2 year old Claris - very reliable, which is important, as she refuses to fix bikes.
Old 04-28-19, 01:41 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Originally Posted by Viich
I've had great experiences with SunRace cassettes. I'd almost say smoother shifting for 8 and 9 speed than Shimano at this point.

And I'm still on 8sp 105 (SL-1056 shifters, BL-1055 brake levers, 1055 RD...) My wife is running 2 year old Claris - very reliable, which is important, as she refuses to fix bikes.
I wasn't thinking so much about shifting as wear rate, I thought the sunrace cassette's might be a little softer metal and wear a bit faster but honestly don't know but have noticed a trend for some manufacturer's to use them on their budget bicycles including mountain bikes where as the a model or two up in the range would switch to Shimano or Sram cassettes depending on groupset used. Depending on brand you might get their very entry level mountain bike with a freewheel, then above that you start getting a proper mountain bike freehub drivetrain but they have fitted maybe a sunrace cassette and low end rear derailleur like a tourney and then you start getting into their higher models and shimano and sram cassettes appear. The same pretty much applies to road bikes too. So you can't help perceive the sunrace cassettes as a budget choice or maybe they are a bit heavier as an alternative reason. I guess from the manufacturer's viewpoint they are fit for purpose and cheaper to use.
Old 04-28-19, 04:46 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I can't tell if it has QR or thru axle. I wouldn't want discs with QR, regardless of price. Otherwise, looks like a deal.

For that price, one could safely assume QR.
Old 04-28-19, 05:12 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
You could do a lot worse for the money.
Old 05-04-19, 06:55 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonzo Banana
I wasn't thinking so much about shifting as wear rate, I thought the sunrace cassette's might be a little softer metal and wear a bit faster but honestly don't know but have noticed a trend for some manufacturer's to use them on their budget bicycles including mountain bikes where as the a model or two up in the range would switch to Shimano or Sram cassettes depending on groupset used. Depending on brand you might get their very entry level mountain bike with a freewheel, then above that you start getting a proper mountain bike freehub drivetrain but they have fitted maybe a sunrace cassette and low end rear derailleur like a tourney and then you start getting into their higher models and shimano and sram cassettes appear. The same pretty much applies to road bikes too. So you can't help perceive the sunrace cassettes as a budget choice or maybe they are a bit heavier as an alternative reason. I guess from the manufacturer's viewpoint they are fit for purpose and cheaper to use.
Honestly, wear rate is very difficult to quantify without controlled destructive testing. I'm nearly 4K into one 8sp cassette that probably should be replaced. Even if it is worse, it's not by the factor of the price difference, I believe that the price difference is more for the Shimano name than anything else.
Old 05-06-19, 07:02 AM
Bonzo Banana

Originally Posted by Viich
Honestly, wear rate is very difficult to quantify without controlled destructive testing. I'm nearly 4K into one 8sp cassette that probably should be replaced. Even if it is worse, it's not by the factor of the price difference, I believe that the price difference is more for the Shimano name than anything else.
In my experience the mid-level Shimano stuff has been brilliant quality, long lasting and brilliantly engineered for the price. The tourney stuff while bad can still be a upgrade on some of the competitor's products at similar pricing and the high end stuff I just don't do as not bothered about weight or high performance. I've seen comments that some of the sunrace freewheels are better than Shimano freewheels but also seen some comments about sunrace cassettes being worse quality but it's hard to quantify all this varied data from many sources. In my head sunrace are a little weaker and shorter life but whether that is actually true is another matter. You may be right about paying for the Shimano name in some instances. At the low end some Shimano stuff isn't even made by Shimano so it could literally be a brand slap for some items I sort of think of that stuff being Tourney and below.
Old 05-06-19, 07:10 AM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I just rode a road bike with Tourney 7 speed and was pleasantly surprised how how well it worked. I don't like the thumb lever on the brifter but they did work well.