Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1972 Gitane???

Old 07-15-19, 07:35 AM
alexander55

Bikes: Looking for the next one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
1972 Gitane???

Brought this one home from a local swap last night. The honeycomb dropout caught my eye. I've never owned a Gitane. Does this one have any value? Any idea of the model. Is it reasonable to assume the 72 on the back of the headtube is the year? St. on the fork ends. BCM on the top and bottom of the headtube. Any information about the bike and its value would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS.
Old 07-15-19, 07:47 AM
alexander55

Another collecting friend just suggested the 72 is more likely the headtube angle. OK. I am learning. Thanks!
Old 07-15-19, 07:51 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Yeah, that's not a '72. The honeycomb drop outs came out a bit later (mid 70s I think). They're a real plus as you can run pretty much any RD on that; the stronglight drop outs work with--you guessed it--some French derailleurs.

I'm not certain of the model but I've seen Gitanes with honeycomb dropouts and the main triangle is reynolds 531. Take a look at the catalogs online.

The bike is missing some decals and a headtube badge but those can be replaced.

The frame with HS and BB is likely worth right around $75-$100. Nice bike and well worth fixing up.

https://www.gitaneusa.com/catalogues.asp
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-15-19, 01:24 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
c.1974-75 with Reynolds 531 main triangle, most likely an Interclub because the headset looks like something less expensive than the Stronglight P3 that came on the Tour de France. Chas. Colerich will know more when he chimes in. That looks like a 58 or 60 cm measured to top, so it will probably have a lovely ride quality to it - every Gitane in that size I've ever been on has a certain something that is just right. It's closer to the European market specification than the Mel Pinto-imported TdF and Super Corsas c.1969-73. You have the headset and the bottom bracket, in all likelihood a Nitto stem will fit the steerer with no modication, AND you get the threaded Huret dropouts designed to take ANYBODY's rear derailleur. Were it mine, I would clean it, wax it and build it up with good mid-level or better parts and ride it often. This would be an excellent introduction to French bikes in general and Gitanes in particular.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 07-15-19, 02:03 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
c.1974-75 with Reynolds 531 main triangle, most likely an Interclub because the headset looks like something less expensive than the Stronglight P3 that came on the Tour de France. Chas. Colerich will know more when he chimes in. That looks like a 58 or 60 cm measured to top, so it will probably have a lovely ride quality to it - every Gitane in that size I've ever been on has a certain something that is just right. It's closer to the European market specification than the Mel Pinto-imported TdF and Super Corsas c.1969-73. You have the headset and the bottom bracket, in all likelihood a Nitto stem will fit the steerer with no modication, AND you get the threaded Huret dropouts designed to take ANYBODY's rear derailleur. Were it mine, I would clean it, wax it and build it up with good mid-level or better parts and ride it often. This would be an excellent introduction to French bikes in general and Gitanes in particular.
+1 Agreed

The cool factor is way up there with these, they punch well above their station.
Likes For merziac:
Old 07-15-19, 07:55 PM
Flying G

Bikes: 1971 Gitane TDF, 1974 Gitane Interclub, 2001 Serotta Rapid Tour CS3, 1986 Bruce Gordon touring bike, 1972 Gitane Super Corsa, 1978 Michal Johnson, 1972 Lambert Professional Grand Prix, 1983 Vitus (resto project), 1972 Raleigh Professional (resto)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Concur with the previous replies that this frame is a mid-70s Interclub. One of my favorite Gitanes in my stable is nearly identical to your frame, Huret honeycomb drop-outs, chrome fork, decals, etc. Mine was a match blue but was badly scarred over the years from scrapes and bruises but I had it blasted and powder coated a period correct yellow. It is a great ride and attracts lots of attention around town, club rides and even my first CA Eroica several years ago.
Build this up with good metal Simplex derailleurs, MAFAC Racer brakes and levers, a comfortable leather saddle, Lyotard pedals, Stronglight or Sugino Maxy crankset, bars and tape that work for you and you’ll have a fine vintage bike that is amazingly fun to ride. If you decide to sell it, someone else will find joy in it.
Welcome to the fiercely loyal and slightly eccentric French Riding Club!
Old 07-15-19, 08:13 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
The Huret Honeycomb is a nice touch and will set this frame apart from other contemporary frames.

Nonetheless, as others mentioned, it is unlikely to go much higher than $100. You could, of course, throw it up on E-Bay for $200, and just wait until someone bites.
Old 07-15-19, 08:34 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying G
Concur with the previous replies that this frame is a mid-70s Interclub. One of my favorite Gitanes in my stable is nearly identical to your frame, Huret honeycomb drop-outs, chrome fork, decals, etc. Mine was a match blue but was badly scarred over the years from scrapes and bruises but I had it blasted and powder coated a period correct yellow. It is a great ride and attracts lots of attention around town, club rides and even my first CA Eroica several years ago.
Build this up with good metal Simplex derailleurs, MAFAC Racer brakes and levers, a comfortable leather saddle, Lyotard pedals, Stronglight or Sugino Maxy crankset, bars and tape that work for you and you’ll have a fine vintage bike that is amazingly fun to ride. If you decide to sell it, someone else will find joy in it.
Welcome to the fiercely loyal and slightly eccentric French Riding Club!
I like to think that the French Riding Club is fiercely loyal and commonsensical ,

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nch-bikes.html
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-15-19, 09:55 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
I would agree on the dating given the honey drops with no braze on's and blue paint it would only match a 75-78 mid level model
Old 07-16-19, 03:49 AM
alexander55

Thank you all for the wealth of information and guidance you’ve shared regarding date, value, build possibilities, etc.. It’s very helpful. It’s a cool old frame. I’ve got lots to ponder.
Old 07-16-19, 04:25 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
An identical frame and fork set has been on Ebay for a couple of months now. The present Buy It Now is $78.00 US and ten people are watching the listing. My guess is that it will not sell again.
Old 07-16-19, 02:36 PM
alexander55

Originally Posted by randyjawa
An identical frame and fork set has been on Ebay for a couple of months now. The present Buy It Now is $78.00 US and ten people are watching the listing. My guess is that it will not sell again.
Interesting. Thanks. Double the price by the time you ship it. And, it does not have headset or bottom bracket. AND...it is a very helpful comparison. Thanks!!
Old 07-16-19, 04:03 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3782 Post(s)
Liked 3,285 Times in 2,146 Posts
-----

Looks Interclub to me also.

The higher models mentioned above would exhibit the "willow leaf" seat stay cap.

First year for this transfer pattern was 1974.

Some of the details concerning quality Gitane road frames of this time are discussed in this recent forum thread;

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...75-gitane.html

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 07-19-19, 04:46 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
Could be a European TdF as well. They lacked chrome on the rear triangle and were made with a Reynolds 531 main triangle. Labelled "Racing Team".

Not my pic, but this frame ended up with me. Present from a fellow BF member.