Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Your suggestions to best build/customize this folder

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-06, 08:35 PM
Senexs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

right now, I'm starting with the basic Montague mtn bike frame, using the m-750 wavecrest bike line. I'm supposed to add the wheelset/tires and pedals. And it'd be nice to get some suggestions on which specific components in best using.

With the pedals, I'm thinking either basic folding pedals (eg. Montague VP components type), OR the mks-ar2 quick release. Is this metal material? Making it more durable, lighter than the steel/resin folding pedals? How do the mks work in installation and removal? Are they pretty fast in removing and installing? Which pedals is recommended? I'd either want to fold or remove them when putting them in the bag. (when you're at train stations or bus stops)

Then there's the wheelset and tires part. I have regular mtn bike wheelsets on my other bike. And am interested in trying 24" wheelsets. (as a basic fun cruising/commuting bike) Either I could get something like Sun Rynolite Black Shimano Deore M525. Or just call the local bargain ads and swap it with a mtn bike 24" wheelset. (any problems with this?) What about tires? Continental Town and Country tires or Michelin Trans World City tires,(as an example) only available in regular 26" size? Or just go with another brand.

What might be good hybrid/road tires. Use only regular sized tires? Put slicks on them?

Folder to be used in a variety of areas. Grass, soft trail, pavement, sidewalk, road. Urban/street/city bike.

As well, any recommended good saddlebags, racks or handlebar bags? Though I don't mind carrying backpack at all.
Old 06-10-06, 10:45 PM
geo8rge

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On my Monty:

I have the mks QR (regular cage with toe clips, I install the straps diagonally to get a 'power grips' effect), I like them but it is a pain taking them off all the time I chain it in NYC. Sometimes I run a thin cable from my seat post through the pedals and wheels. Those plastic folding pedals are crap, I broke a pair withing 1 yr. I also think they need occasional lubrication (no manual but they shipped with some lube on the spindels).

The Crankset was also crap. I replaced it with a used shimano 105 road set, 44t chainring and chucked the front deraileur. 122mm shimano un-73 bb. The shimano 7 sp mega range thread-on cassette it ships with is a good idea.

The wheelset it ships with is also crap. I am actually thinking Phil wood rear hub so I do not have to maintain it. I currently use the wheelset off another MTB I had.

The montague does not work well with accessories. By puting a 3 cm long screw in the rear eyeletes I was able to put a bontrager rear fender and a normal panier rack on it. Front wheel is tricky due to folding, I suggest wing nuts.

I have a Thompson elite seatpost w the springy saddle the bike ships with.

I switched to allen skewers, but might switch back.

As to size I suggest 26", what is the advantage to 24"? Montague is made for comfort not speed.

I use conti top touring + Mr Tuffy. I may add slime tubes.
Old 06-10-06, 10:47 PM
spambait11
Señor Mambo

Bikes: TST roadie, Cannondale CAAD 3, Surly Karate Stokemonkey Leap, Tern Cargo Node, Helix Alfine; 36er and 29er Triton Unicycles; a couple Bike Fridays; one Brompton; RadPower Radburro

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts
The MKS pedals attach and unattach similar to air compressor attachments - quick and easy.
The pedals are alloy, but I don't know if the axles are a different material. The only issue I've noted with them is that when pulling the lock mechanism back, they can sometimes get stuck and not lock the pedal completely. In this case, just push the lock mechanism forward manually (i.e. don't rely on the spring to push it up).

You'll have to install the bases with a thin cone wrench. A regular pedal wrench is too thick. Styles vary, but if I bought another pair, I'd get the Promenade style since it doesn't matter which side of the pedal you use. You should only use one side if you get something like the the AR2s or RR2s or whatever they call them nowadays; the platforms on these are narrow.

Alloy folding pedals are heavy. Resin ones are a little lighter. I haven't used the resin folders very much, but I took off the alloy ones. The pros with the folding pedals is that they're always there and they're cheaper. The MKSs need to be stored somehow, and if you have something like PowerGrips installed, then they won't fit into the little carry bag that comes with the pedals. The con is that you can't install PowerGrips on many style folding pedals, that is if you care about PowerGrips.
Old 06-11-06, 12:34 AM
bookishboy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's really fast to take the MKS pedals off and on, but not of course as fast as folding pedals. It'll take a few extra seconds too, in order to put them in their little pouch/put the pouch away.

Folding pedals are definitely faster, and more convenient for quick-folding (getting on a train, going into your office building). They're also almost universally cheaper.

The MKS pedals have several features that put them ahead for my needs:

1. The quick-release makes packing the bike easier. If/when I want to put it into an airport regulation-size suitcase, the pedals are one less thing that I need a tool to disassemble/reassemble.

2. Despite the best of intentions, there will still be times when you want to ride your bike to a destination where you won't be permitted to take it inside. If you have to chain it up outside, taking the pedals off makes it less of a theft-worthy target. The thief will have to carry it off, rather than pedalling. It's harder and more conspicuous.

3. If you like the pedals and plan to continue using them, you can switch back and forth easily between the clipless and platform pedals. You can also buy the adapters separately, and install them on all of your bikes.... just switch the pedals to whatever one you'll be riding at a given time..
Old 06-25-06, 01:24 AM
slim_chestnut
first ATB

Bikes: Custom Electric 36V, Mercian, Klein, Performance, Iron Horse, and many others including home built

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
24" on Montague

I picked up a Montague Paratrooper frame sans wheels. I am also interested in building up 24" alloy wheels and possibly a shorter front fork because of the smaller folded size of the bike with them. 26" is just not good for airline travel with the Montague fold if you wish to avoid oversize luggage fees.

Have you tried the 24" wheels and do you reallize we may need to either modify the frame geometry or shorten the pedal crank arms because of ground clearance?

There are various sizes of 24" wheels but I would surmise the 24" would put the pedals about an inch closer to the ground at the bottom of the stroke and they would definitley tend to clip the ground when you pedal through turns. Nowadays it is rather difficult to get a variation of crank arm length without spending a bundle Instead of 180s, 160s would be about right

I think that if I do this I will also go to a disk brake setup because of brake arm reach difficulties with the 24" wheels.

Your thoughts please.

Slim
Old 06-25-06, 05:51 AM
dalmore
Neat - w/ ice on the side

Bikes: 2005 Dahon Speed TR, 2006 Dahon Mu SL, 2000 GT XiZang, 1999ish Rock Lobster, 2007 Dean Animas CTI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too recommend the MKS Promenade quick-release pedals and I also HIGHLY recommend taking the extra second to make sure the locking mechanism on the pedals is fully engaged. It's easy to do - just pull the lock towards the pedal and then give the pedal a tug to insure it stays put. No fun have a pedal come off while riding.
Old 06-27-06, 04:48 AM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I bought one of the Wavecrest Montigue frames from Ebay too. I stripped the frame and gave my nephew all the componants and the fork. I have a light alum rigid fork now. QR MKS pedals. Thompson seat post with Fitzik saddle. Thompson stem and Easton carbon bar. I am using a Sturmey Archer 8 speed internal hub and have Mavic rims and Shimano XTR front hub. Very light folder and great city bike.
Old 07-07-06, 12:40 AM
slim_chestnut
first ATB

Bikes: Custom Electric 36V, Mercian, Klein, Performance, Iron Horse, and many others including home built

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello gear,

I am working on the same project but with a Nexus rear hub. How about posting a picture of your custom Montague? I am considering using 24" or similar sized wheels to reduce the fold size and perhaps a modified steering system.. I may go to shorter cranks too because of the lowered center. The goal is to get the Montague into the largest "approved" suitcase that has no oversize charge. It is much easier with a 20" wheel but they ride poorly.

Slim