Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help me identify this old Falcon San Remo

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-08, 08:29 PM
johnnyk4224

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was my father in laws bike and I've been trying to wrestle it away from him for awhile now. I finally have it and am trying to figure out some more details before I try to bring it back to life.

Serial number X15085. Campy (not sure what model) drivetrain, Weinnemann brakes and wheels. Designed by Ernie Clement San Remo on the chainstays.

Any help is appreciated.

John
Old 12-31-08, 10:14 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Pics?

Old 12-31-08, 10:32 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
No pics, no possibility of help!
Old 01-01-09, 10:51 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyk4224
It was my father in laws bike and I've been trying to wrestle it away from him for awhile now. I finally have it and am trying to figure out some more details before I try to bring it back to life.

Serial number X15085. Campy (not sure what model) drivetrain, Weinnemann brakes and wheels. Designed by Ernie Clement San Remo on the chainstays.

Any help is appreciated.

John
Don't understand what you want: You know it's a Falcon, you know it's a San Remo, and you know it has the Ernie Clements history. You can look at all the parts and see any dates and other inscriptions that are present on them - there should be a lot of them. They won't all be easy to interpret. There's a lot of useful information on the frame, too, such as decals the identify the composition and design of the frame tubes, and some of the construction details and workmanship. Falcons of this era, BTW, did not always reflect the state of the art in frame assembly, but were very creditable upper to high-end bikes.

You can also do the Web searches to find copies of sales lit, or the results of historical research on Falcon, if much exists beyond Classic Rendezvous. I don't know of any comprehensive serial number directories.

Weinemann did not make wheels, they made rims. They also did not make hubs. Falcon made the wheels, using a Weinemann rim (suitable for the period, BTW), a freewheel chosen probably for cost and availability, a hub that you have not identified, and the bicycle designers choice of spokes. There was no such thing as a "branded" wheel in those days.

Bottom line, you need to show us a lot more about the bike before anyone here is able to say anything intelligent about it. We like to do that, but in the case of a Falcon, the S/N alone is just not enough.

As far as bringing it back to life, servicing and overhauling Campagnolo is just like servicing any other bike parts, requiring knowledge, carefulness, and good technique. But you would serve yourself well by buying a good reference book on this servicing, such as the first edition of Zinn's book on road bike maintenance. The second edition has had some vintage info removed. Depending on the "free" web carries the risk that you get what you pay for, or that you find so much diversity of opinion that you might choose to follow bullsh*t advice. Even here there is some.

We assume if you are here for help, you are interested in collecting or riding a great bike. I am not interested in helping you just reselling, or worse, fixifying a bike.

Do a search on Campagnolo Nuovo Record and tell us if that's what it has and what parts, as a starting point. As Charles said, pictures would also be useful.

Road Fan
Old 01-01-09, 04:10 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,683 Times in 2,609 Posts
Pics are essential as I've learned that Falcon San Remo wasn't just one model but a whole range of models. Mine is an early 60s (I think), but there's much more info out there (including on BF and Wool Jersey) for 70s models.

Neal